Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
    As far as Joe Hewitt is concerned, I would think developing for a platform that will have more than one phone and will be on more than one carrier, and possibly even in China would be a good opportunity compared to developing for a phone on a single carrier like the iphone. I would think it'd be worth developing for webOS.
    Except that iPhone will be sold on the same Chinese carrier (Unicom) likely before Pre is, and the fact that Apple not only offers phone sales but Facebook app usage on the iPod Touch user base (and possibly the rumored Apple tablet as well). This is excess of 30 million people. Pre and WebOS device sales from several carriers even years from now will likely never reach that total. Apple, on the other hand, will only soar past it when they eventually go multi-carrier here in America.

There is no way Hewitt or anyone else can think making an Apple a priority is a bad use of resources. It is incumbent of Palm (and to a lesser degree, Sprint) to take the steps necessary to provide a Pre facebook app that takes advantage of WebOS and its notifications. They have failed miserably thus far when such a competitive advantage would really, REALLY come in handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Except that iPhone will be sold on the same Chinese carrier (Unicom) likely before Pre is, and the fact that Apple not only offers phone sales but Facebook app usage on the iPod Touch user base (and possibly the rumored Apple tablet as well). This is excess of 30 million people. Pre and WebOS device sales from several carriers even years from now will likely never reach that total. Apple, on the other hand, will only soar past it when they eventually go multi-carrier here in America.

There is no way Hewitt or anyone else can think making an Apple a priority is a bad use of resources. It is incumbent of Palm (and to a lesser degree, Sprint) to take the steps necessary to provide a Pre facebook app that takes advantage of WebOS and its notifications. They have failed miserably thus far when such a competitive advantage would really, REALLY come in handy.
    I wonder why some people detest constructive criticism for the Pre. It would be tragic if Palm can't leverage key features like notifications, synergy, and the card system to create applications that the likes of Apple can only dream off. Palm has a window of opportunity and I hope they seize it. Competition will make consumers better off as Apple, Rim, etc would be 'forced' to continuously improve their respective platforms.

A solid facebook application would have been a great start. It's certainly not the only option; just one that seems intuitive and that would also provide significant PRPRPR $benefits$.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    iPhones facebook app is a joke... I never liked using it when I had my iPhone 3G... I actually prefer using the REAL non mobile FaceBook website on my Pre.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I know it's a long thread, but that question was definitely answered. But here's the thread recap (note. this is a recap and not my personal opinion):

- x.facebook and m.facebook are passable but extremely lacking
    - Some feel having a Pre version of the iPhones most popular app is stupid
    - Facebook 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 were already pretty good. Facebook 3.0 is amazing.
    - WebOS feature set is a foundation for an incredible app but nobody wants to make it
    - Joe Hewitt (FB 3.0) chooses to stick solely to Apple despite frustration with the approval process
    - Joe Hewitt will NOT make a Pre version so expect an app at the quality level of the Blackberry, WinMo version
    - Being more open or easier to develop isn't enough to sway developers
    - Palm needs to invest in developers if they want to survive
    - Palm has a tough road since they're up against Google, Apple and MS
    - Palm promotes it's Facebook integration yet failed to provide an app
    - Facebook is an important enough feature to sway users towards a product
    - Non-facebook users can't resist reading a thread about a product they have no desire to use and flex their superiority by screaming "Look at me! Please! I don't use Facebook because I'm not an attention *****. Do you hear me? Pay attention to me because my opinion about a product I don't want should be respected!"
    Good summary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    iPhones facebook app is a joke... I never liked using it when I had my iPhone 3G... I actually prefer using the REAL non mobile FaceBook website on my Pre.
    You haven't seen ver 3.0.

And even if there is an app for the Pre, you don't have to use it. If you still want to use the full site, knock yourself out.

There are a lot of apps you might use that I won't use. It doesn't mean the app shouldn't exist.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I went to my facebook.com and followed the facebook mobile link from the very bottom of the page. I can get all or just the friends I choose.... Updates, Pokes and other stuff sent straight to my phone as a text message then I can reply right back to them. I can also update my status anytime by sending an SMS to 32665 (FBOOK).

I use the homebrew app Friend Flow, m.facebook.com or just directly to the site. All 3 work to let me post and keep up with my friends.

I love my pre!! Att plans are so much more than Sprints, there is no way I would ever switch. :-)
    you all are a little catty in here. try developing something and complain and bicker less.
    The fact is, the mobile site is very limited in features. You can't like items, nor can you comment. There are a ton of things that you can't do or view.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Long thread is long. So is it confirmed that a Facebook app is even coming from Palm? If not, is there anything stopping a developer from, basically, copying the iPhone 3.0 app? I checked it out today and it is great (especially compared to the terrible Blackberry one I currently use).
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The fact is, the mobile site is very limited in features. You can't like items, nor can you comment. There are a ton of things that you can't do or view.
    But you can on the full site, which works just fine from the Pre.
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    But you can on the full site, which works just fine from the Pre.
    the full site does work "just fine", it just isn't usable on a 3.2 inch screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    the full site does work "just fine", it just isn't usable on a 3.2 inch screen.
    I've never had an issue using it.
    here we go again........
    Palm shouldn't release a commercial that basically makes a claim that it is the ultimate facebook friendly phone when it doesnlt even have an app for it.

I am refrencing the commercial where we see the facebook home page streaming through a giant palm pre:

15.    #115  
    Well cheers mate, good that you use it well, but this discussion isn't about people like you.
    any objective user will tell you that doing more than looking at the news feed is a tedious chore.
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beave4 View Post
    Palm shouldn't release a commercial that basically makes a claim that it is the ultimate facebook friendly phone when it doesnlt even have an app for it.

I am refrencing the commercial where we see the facebook home page streaming through a giant palm pre:

So Where's the Palm Pre webOS Facebook App?

Palm made the facebook syncing announcement with the Facebook coo on stage. This was unofficially billed as the ultimate facebook syncing phone so i'm guessing somewhere between that announcement and launch something fell apart and Palm has been mum on the entire issue.
    I just have to say it - I hate Facebook.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    I just have to say it - I hate Facebook.
    So logging into a web forum and calling yourself sir mycroft rather than logging into facebook and calling your self (insert real name here) makes you feel like you are better than facebook users?
    Forgive me if this has all been said already. I didn't read the thread.

I think the Pre vision for Facebook integration can and should be better than just a discrete app. Facebook chat should be integrated into the messaging app. We already have contacts, but for FB contacts there should be links to click on so you can view their Photos or wall, and might as well throw their statuses in there too. The photos app should have a link to Facebook friends photo albums and you should be able to seamlessly navigate into them. Still need wall posts (though I personally am not crazy about the wall) and news feed, but that part could be provided by a separate application, which FriendFlow is fast becoming (and it does have comments--not sure about like).

In short, the Pre should be our Facebook app, and we're really not that far from that. I think the full functionality was probably a little too much to squeeze into WebOS 1.0, but I would imagine that this could be implemented for WebOS 2.0. I believe it is the bigger vision that is keeping us from having a Facebook app. They're going for something better than a discrete app...I hope.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    So logging into a web forum and calling yourself sir mycroft rather than logging into facebook and calling your self (insert real name here) makes you feel like you are better than facebook users?
    I don't know how all Facebook users feel to make an adequate comparison. But I can say that logging on here does not really make me feel any better or worse than I did before I signed on.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast