Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    as an ipod touch owner, i can saftly say the facebook 3.0 app is all i could ever ask for. it gives you a lot of functionality like commenting on everything, way more organized and even abilkty to use notes, add pages to favorites ect. will also have notifications next update. its much more functional then x.facebook, and way more easier then pinching and zooming!
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    You may say you don't get it but your description of Plaxo includes the answer of why people use Facebook and twitter. You said it: it "puts you in touch with people." It's a "communication" tool in a macro sense of the word.

There's a study done by a very large tv network that i can't name cause it's confidential. But they do polls that rated what activities kids to like young adults liked to do most. 20 years ago it was, 1. play with friends, 2. watch tv, 3. listen to music. Today it's 1. play with friends. 2. use computer. 3. Watch tv. The tv studio couldn't understand why computers were leap frogging tv and music. Early on what they didn't get was that it wasn't something like just games or surfing the web that made them leapfrog tv. First they though it was just "computers." But they figure out that It was the new avenues of communication. Computers in the last 15 years became more then just places to do research but a proxy for "hanging with friends." It was Friendster, myspace, fAcebook, instant messaging services. The growth of mobile technology meant then it was 24/7 "hanging with friends". go on vacation? Doesn't matter their right their a text message away. Why is notifications so important. "it's instant commuication." That's what Twitter is. It's just one more way to do the first thing. You do something and tell you're friends instantly, on twitter. When the tv networks finally figured this out, they finally stopped trying to fight to beat "computers" because they new they were really fighting to beat out methods of "hanging with friends." And they all know they've never been able to beat that. What they did was begin to integrate with online platforms like Hulu, and Myspace, to make CNN facebook pages, to have Anchors twitter. To allow youtube links, and provide ways to imbedded their own feeds making it easier to be part of communication. They can't beat them they are just trying to be part of the conversation. In the broad sense that's how important communication platforms like social networking is. Movies get it, Networks, get it, Apple get's it, businesses do.

There's a massive reason why Xbox 360 is and PS3 to a much lesser extent have been such big success. It's made playing games with friend extremely easy with services like xbox live. The biggest games are often games with large online play functionality. Biggest PC game, WOW is basically a massive way to play games with friends and meet new ones. One more way to "hang with friends." It's quite telling that Microsoft didn't just add the ability to have netflix streaming through xbox live. They also added a way to watch movies with your friends. That's microsoft saying you don't have to physically go to a friends how and watch a movie with them. We Microsoft can help you and your friends hang out together for a movie without you leaving the house.

now maybe you'd rather sit home by yourself and read. But most people on the planet these days don't want to be disconnected. They thrive on the ability to "hang out with friends" all the time. Old ones and new ones. People in other countries. Friends they met on xbox live at 4AM playing COD in Japan. Something will follow facebook, but the broad idea of tools that allow people to connect instantly with people they know is pervasive now. It's not going anywhere. It's what plaxo is. It's what all these things are. And it's why everyone running a cellphone company want's the premier "hanging with friends" (number one thing to do for youngsters) app front and center. From a business standpoint. It's extremely important for the near future until something replaces it.
    Well said.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    The facebook app on the iPhone is something i miss for sure from my old iPhone, it added functionality that you cannot get from just going to facebook.com on your browser. There is nothing wrong with me wanting a similar application on the Pre. However am I losing sleep over this, hell no.
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    I love the actual site, I can even do the facebook chat on it, its amazing!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post
    I love the actual site, I can even do the facebook chat on it, its amazing!
    I hate doing the facebook chat on the facebook site, its really small and long conversations don't scroll right.

Try Meebo.com, they let you log in to facebook chate (and a million others like Aim, yahoo, msn, icq, etc.) and have a mobile site.
    Hung out with a couple of friends last night who both have iPhones, one a 3G, the other a 3Gs, both jailbroken on OS 3.0. They were loving the new Facebook app, but said it was buggy, crashed often. The remedy was to copy whatever they were trying to enter before sending, so they wouldn't lose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Hung out with a couple of friends last night who both have iPhones, one a 3G, the other a 3Gs, both jailbroken on OS 3.0. They were loving the new Facebook app, but said it was buggy, crashed often. The remedy was to copy whatever they were trying to enter before sending, so they wouldn't lose it.
    funny, mine hasn't crashed once.
    I'm not a app download type of person I have the second generation Ipod Touch with only like 5 apps one of them being Facebook because I only use apps that are essential to my needs, to me all other apps are a plus but Facebook is one of the mandatory apps that I would like to see and expect since there was all this hype about Facebook being on the Pre before launch. I'm patient though and I'm having a little fun messing with the homebrew app catalog.
    I am soooo waiting for a FB app. That is the main thing I miss from my BlackBerry, the ease of commenting on statuses and posts, just like an email. Poking was way easier also....

Hurry up FB app!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    funny, mine hasn't crashed once.
    Lucky you, they were both complaining about it, and I have no reason to doubt either one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper1014 View Post
    I am soooo waiting for a FB app. That is the main thing I miss from my BlackBerry, the ease of commenting on statuses and posts, just like an email. Poking was way easier also....

Hurry up FB app!
    The Facebook app on the blackberry sucked, no way I'd want one similar on the Pre. It was so limited in what it could do. The Myspace app was actually more functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The Facebook app on the blackberry sucked, no way I'd want one similar on the Pre. It was so limited in what it could do. The Myspace app was actually more functional.
    absoultely right about that
  13.    #93  
    To put the discussion into perspective,

MS created the Windows Mobile Facebook app, RIM created the Blackberry Facebook app and Palm Created the Palm OS Facebook app.
    The Iphone Facebook app is the only one created in house by Facebook.
    So in reality, this application should have been released at launch (especially because of the marketing) and there hasn't been a good reason given by Palm why it hasn't.
    I'm beginning to think the reason is that Palm is a bunch of retards. To have the balls to feature FB in a Palm Pre TV ad, without even having a FB app? It's simply unbelieveable.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Not being rude but what does an Iphone facebook 3.0 for "IPHONE" have to do with the progression or development of this forum. intended for the plam "PRE"...
    I don't even know why this is even a debate. The Pre needs the app, period. It doesn't mean you have to use it. If you still want to use the main site, knock your socks off. You can pull up the main site on the iphone too using Safari. The reality is, the app is convenient.

As far as Joe Hewitt is concerned, I would think developing for a platform that will have more than one phone and will be on more than one carrier, and possibly even in China would be a good opportunity compared to developing for a phone on a single carrier like the iphone. I would think it'd be worth developing for webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    Not being rude but what does an Iphone facebook 3.0 for "IPHONE" have to do with the progression or development of this forum. intended for the plam "PRE"...
    I think the OP was trying to imply that the Pre needs an app like that. And I agree.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    An app that offers push notifications and no zooming would be nice
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    I know it's a long thread, but that question was definitely answered. But here's the thread recap (note. this is a recap and not my personal opinion):

- x.facebook and m.facebook are passable but extremely lacking
    - Some feel having a Pre version of the iPhones most popular app is stupid
    - Facebook 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 were already pretty good. Facebook 3.0 is amazing.
    - WebOS feature set is a foundation for an incredible app but nobody wants to make it
    - Joe Hewitt (FB 3.0) chooses to stick solely to Apple despite frustration with the approval process
    - Joe Hewitt will NOT make a Pre version so expect an app at the quality level of the Blackberry, WinMo version
    - Being more open or easier to develop isn't enough to sway developers
    - Palm needs to invest in developers if they want to survive
    - Palm has a tough road since they're up against Google, Apple and MS
    - Palm promotes it's Facebook integration yet failed to provide an app
    - Facebook is an important enough feature to sway users towards a product
    - Non-facebook users can't resist reading a thread about a product they have no desire to use and flex their superiority by screaming "Look at me! Please! I don't use Facebook because I'm not an attention *****. Do you hear me? Pay attention to me because my opinion about a product I don't want should be respected!"
    Last edited by Urkel; 08/30/2009 at 09:22 AM.
    - Non-facebook users have a sense of superiority over Facebook users and can't resist reading a thread about a product they have no desire to use and screaming "Look at me! Please! I don't use Facebook because I'm not an attention *****! Do you hear me? Pay attention to me because my opinion about a product I don't want should be respected!"
    -priceless
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast