Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 133
  1. #61  
    <-- waiting to buy stock in Facebook
  2. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    you still didn't respond, do you have any such apps on your Pre.
    Get back to me when you do, until then your attacks just fail
    What's Pre, precious?
  3. Camel's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #63  
    looks amazing. i want it for the pre! this guy should make it and he'll make a killing
  4. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    looks amazing. i want it for the pre! this guy should make it and he'll make a killing
    Half a million downloads for a free app = $0

    What really should have happened was Palm should have gone straight to this guy and dropped a large sack of cash in his lap. As much as some people will act like jerks and consider themselves "better" than Facebook users, this is probably the biggest 3rd party app out there.

    IF we somehow had an exclusive early jump on Facebook 3.0 then it would have been a pretty big deal for Palm. But instead we got x.facebook.com which is a crippled version of a mobile version of a full website.
  5. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Joe Hewitt had an interesting blog post complaining about Apple. He slaved over a highly anticipated iPhone app, submitted it, then waited over a week with no status info for why it's taking so long. This forum would classify him as a "whiner" but the reality is that he's a major developer that was going through hell waiting for Apple to give permission for his baby to be born.

    Now some may say who cares, it's an iPhone app. Well think about this. If it's easier to get approved on WebOS, Android and WinMo then why would someone PREFER Apple's iron grip? Because they don't see the other platforms to be a big deal, and you can see that in the crippled apps we've seen so far. We may deserve better, but that doesn't mean we're going to get it.

    Joe Hewitt Blog Post - Frustrated with Apple Approval Process

    He is a whiner in that post. I have submitted 5 apps updates to iTunes in the last two months or so, and all took 8-14 days for approval. It's the standard wait nowadays, and not unreasonable. I think Joe, who only develops that one app and is somewhat of a celebrity, was whining for attention -- that's popular among the iPhone developers who blog nowadays.

    When I saw that post, it annoyed me because I had an app in the queue at the same time and I kind of got the impression he was implying his app was more important than mine and the thousands of others in the queue. It's first come first served. He needs to wait patiently in line like the rest of us, whether he's Mr. Facebook or not.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Joe Hewitt had an interesting blog post complaining about Apple. He slaved over a highly anticipated iPhone app, submitted it, then waited over a week with no status info for why it's taking so long. This forum would classify him as a "whiner" but the reality is that he's a major developer that was going through hell waiting for Apple to give permission for his baby to be born.

    Now some may say who cares, it's an iPhone app. Well think about this. If it's easier to get approved on WebOS, Android and WinMo then why would someone PREFER Apple's iron grip? Because they don't see the other platforms to be a big deal, and you can see that in the crippled apps we've seen so far. We may deserve better, but that doesn't mean we're going to get it.

    Joe Hewitt Blog Post - Frustrated with Apple Approval Process
    You deal with Apple's iron grip because of their huge subscriber base. That's why Activision was threatening to dump PS3 development if Sony didn't lower the price of the PS3 and get a bigger marketshare.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    OMG!!!!!!!!!! no facebook app!!!
    gonna return my pre now
    omg
    lol
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Half a million downloads for a free app = $0

    What really should have happened was Palm should have gone straight to this guy and dropped a large sack of cash in his lap. As much as some people will act like jerks and consider themselves "better" than Facebook users, this is probably the biggest 3rd party app out there.

    IF we somehow had an exclusive early jump on Facebook 3.0 then it would have been a pretty big deal for Palm. But instead we got x.facebook.com which is a crippled version of a mobile version of a full website.
    Agreed, for whatever the reason, Palm blew a big opportunity by not ensuring there was a Facebook app for the Pre at or close to launch.
  9. #69  
    I just emailed Joe Hewitt about possibly creating an app for the pre. And obv I made sure to list all the benefits of making one I'll make sure to update you guys if he responds.


    UPDATE: well that was fast.
    "Hello,

    I love the Pre and I wish I could clone myself to create a Pre
    Facebook app. However, if Facebook ever does create one I probably
    won't be the one who creates it. When the iPhone came out, I dropped
    everything and invested my entire career in iPhone development because
    it was 100% clear that the iPhone would become a huge hit. At this
    time, I can't gauge whether the Pre will reach those same heights, so
    I am not entirely confident my investment of time would pay off. This
    is me speaking personally as a developer, not Facebook. Facebook
    would love to have a great Pre client, and a great client for every
    mobile device out there, but we have limited resources to create such
    apps.

    - Joe "


    I guess its a no go.
    Last edited by calsccr9; 08/28/2009 at 04:19 PM.
  10. #70  
    A Facebook application like this for the pre would be great I just have one question why is this thread listed here at all. I mean its a Iphone app. These are not the Apple forums. WTF
  11. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Agreed, for whatever the reason, Palm blew a big opportunity by not ensuring there was a Facebook app for the Pre at or close to launch.
    "I was going to buy the Pre, but it doesn't have a Facebook app, so I bought a pack of marbles instead."

    You live in a fantasy land.
  12. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    "I was going to buy the Pre, but it doesn't have a Facebook app, so I bought a pack of marbles instead."

    You live in a fantasy land.
    Replace "pack of marbles" with "iPhone" and you are back in reality.

    Nobody is saying Facebook is the ONLY motivating factor for a new phone. But when you see better support on one platform over another then little things like that make a difference.

    The response by Joe Hewitt (FB3.0 developer) about not planning to do the Pre version is exactly what we should worry about. Instead of a guy who writes a killer app making the defacto version we will instead have to wait for someone else who will most likely create an inferior version.

    We may hold the "superior" device but without support of the top developers then we're going to be chasing powerhouses like Apple, Google and Microsoft.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    "I was going to buy the Pre, but it doesn't have a Facebook app, so I bought a pack of marbles instead."

    You live in a fantasy land.
    wth are you talking about?
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Replace "pack of marbles" with "iPhone" and you are back in reality.

    Nobody is saying Facebook is the ONLY motivating factor for a new phone. But when you see better support on one platform over another then little things like that make a difference.

    The response by Joe Hewitt (FB3.0 developer) about not planning to do the Pre version is exactly what we should worry about. Instead of a guy who writes a killer app making the defacto version we will instead have to wait for someone else who will most likely create an inferior version.

    We may hold the "superior" device but without support of the top developers then we're going to be chasing powerhouses like Apple, Google and Microsoft.
    Exactly my point, and to the guy who asked my i posted this in a Pre forum, this is why.
  15. #75  
    saw this today and i don't even use facebook but i'll tell you it's so starting to **** me off that there are like three new ipod apps everyday. Homebrew is fine for some but lots lack the polish that the ipod apps have. And i'm not that fond of the facebook app. But i'm truly just envious of all the choices.

    I do think palm mist a great chance to hit the ground running by having a decent app store up and working, and able to accept new submissions at launch. Let alone now a couple months after launch. I mean if you can release some of the crap apps they've already released i'm not really sure why, other then the obvious fact that they weren't ready, that they couldn't release a bunch of decent third party apps.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Nobody is saying Facebook is the ONLY motivating factor for a new phone. But when you see better support on one platform over another then little things like that make a difference.

    The response by Joe Hewitt (FB3.0 developer) about not planning to do the Pre version is exactly what we should worry about.
    Agreed. the bigger picture is people are sick of seeing stuff like this every week where 6 and 7 apps come out every week. The Week In iPhone Apps: Deliciousness - the week in iPhone apps - Gizmodo

    If the apps store was open when the Pre was getting all the launch buzz it would likely have gotten a lot of submissions by people who's interest was peaked by the buzz. The launch buzz is gone. So i gotta think there are tons of people saying, in this economy our business can apply it's resources better then developing an app for a platform that they aren't hearing about everyday.

    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    We may hold the "superior" device but without support of the top developers then we're going to be chasing powerhouses like Apple, Google and Microsoft.
    agreed, you can have a great car but if nobody wants to make replacement parts to repair, repair costs rise, and it deters people from purchasing said car.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Replace "pack of marbles" with "iPhone" and you are back in reality.

    Nobody is saying Facebook is the ONLY motivating factor for a new phone. But when you see better support on one platform over another then little things like that make a difference.
    This isn't a "little" thing. There's a reason why - at the very least - a shortcut to a mobile version of Facebook ships on virtually every smart or dumbphone capable of reaching the Web in any capacity. It's a big deal that people use everyday, and the device with the best implementation of it has a big edge.

    If the Pre launched with a FB app with Pre-grade push notifications and Facebook chat as an option in the Messaging app, that would have been an amazing feather in the cap that Sprint and Palm could've pushed in EVERY Pre ad until the cows came home.

    Instead, there were some ads with an annoying singer traipsing around a giant faux Facebook set without telling you in ANY WAY why the Pre was a better phone for FB than whatever device you currently own. Meanwhile, Apple is showing off apps every three commercial breaks during top network and cable programming.

    Sprint and/or Palm should've made the developer resources available to Facebook to make this happen by launch at ANY cost. Instead, now they're in a situation where they must "prove" themselves with sales to be worthy of such an endeavor.

    Wasted opportunity.
  18. #78  
    Bring up as many shortcoming as you want. Anyone who clicked on this thread knew what to expect. Personally, I never used Facebook on my PC and see no reason to use it on my Pre.

    My husband and friends use it, I just haven't found the appeal. I could be reading a good book instead of browsing someone's page or whatever people do on facebook.

    I get forums, but I just don't get tweets, facebook, mySpace. Plaxo updates stuff and puts you in touch with people. Plaxo makes sense to me, but the rest just seems to be a new way to eat up time.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Bring up as many shortcoming as you want. Anyone who clicked on this thread knew what to expect. Personally, I never used Facebook on my PC and see no reason to use it on my Pre.

    My husband and friends use it, I just haven't found the appeal. I could be reading a good book instead of browsing someone's page or whatever people do on facebook.

    I get forums, but I just don't get tweets, facebook, mySpace. Plaxo updates stuff and puts you in touch with people. Plaxo makes sense to me, but the rest just seems to be a new way to eat up time.
    You are in an extremely small minority when it comes to this opinion...

    Consider the fact that Palm/Sprint has released a TV ad for the Pre that focuses 100% of its argument for the phone based on how well it integrates with facebook. A constantly updating facebook page occupies the entire backside of the Palm Pre and what is there to show for how the Pre and facebook interact? It already has contact integration and seamless photo uploading, why the hell should we have to suffer by using the desktop version of a site that is optimized for a full PC experience when we are using a mobile device. If the iPhone has it and it is capable to make a similar app for the Pre, we should have it as well.

    Whether you guys think friendsflow is a decent usable app for now is indifferent, Palm knows their ****in audience and knows what people want. I'd be pretty surprised if they aren't at the very least trying something in the way of getting a facebook app. Even blackberry phones have a passable fb app. Hopefully we're just waiting for something to work well with the phone, but it should have come already.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    ...I never used Facebook on my PC and see no reason to use it on my Pre.

    ....I could be reading a good book instead of browsing someone's page or whatever people do on facebook.

    I get forums, but I just don't get tweets, facebook, mySpace. Plaxo updates stuff and puts you in touch with people. Plaxo makes sense to me,
    You may say you don't get it but your description of Plaxo includes the answer of why people use Facebook and twitter. You said it: it "puts you in touch with people." It's a "communication" tool in a macro sense of the word.

    There's a study done by a very large tv network that i can't name cause it's confidential. But they do polls that rated what activities kids to like young adults liked to do most. 20 years ago it was, 1. play with friends, 2. watch tv, 3. listen to music. Today it's 1. play with friends. 2. use computer. 3. Watch tv. The tv studio couldn't understand why computers were leap frogging tv and music. Early on what they didn't get was that it wasn't something like just games or surfing the web that made them leapfrog tv. First they though it was just "computers." But they figure out that It was the new avenues of communication. Computers in the last 15 years became more then just places to do research but a proxy for "hanging with friends." It was Friendster, myspace, fAcebook, instant messaging services. The growth of mobile technology meant then it was 24/7 "hanging with friends". go on vacation? Doesn't matter their right their a text message away. Why is notifications so important. "it's instant commuication." That's what Twitter is. It's just one more way to do the first thing. You do something and tell you're friends instantly, on twitter. When the tv networks finally figured this out, they finally stopped trying to fight to beat "computers" because they new they were really fighting to beat out methods of "hanging with friends." And they all know they've never been able to beat that. What they did was begin to integrate with online platforms like Hulu, and Myspace, to make CNN facebook pages, to have Anchors twitter. To allow youtube links, and provide ways to imbedded their own feeds making it easier to be part of communication. They can't beat them they are just trying to be part of the conversation. In the broad sense that's how important communication platforms like social networking is. Movies get it, Networks, get it, Apple get's it, businesses do.

    There's a massive reason why Xbox 360 is and PS3 to a much lesser extent have been such big success. It's made playing games with friend extremely easy with services like xbox live. The biggest games are often games with large online play functionality. Biggest PC game, WOW is basically a massive way to play games with friends and meet new ones. One more way to "hang with friends." It's quite telling that Microsoft didn't just add the ability to have netflix streaming through xbox live. They also added a way to watch movies with your friends. That's microsoft saying you don't have to physically go to a friends how and watch a movie with them. We Microsoft can help you and your friends hang out together for a movie without you leaving the house.

    now maybe you'd rather sit home by yourself and read. But most people on the planet these days don't want to be disconnected. They thrive on the ability to "hang out with friends" all the time. Old ones and new ones. People in other countries. Friends they met on xbox live at 4AM playing COD in Japan. Something will follow facebook, but the broad idea of tools that allow people to connect instantly with people they know is pervasive now. It's not going anywhere. It's what plaxo is. It's what all these things are. And it's why everyone running a cellphone company want's the premier "hanging with friends" (number one thing to do for youngsters) app front and center. From a business standpoint. It's extremely important for the near future until something replaces it.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 08/29/2009 at 01:47 AM.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions