Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    @ palm

Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    ok great. you just proved my point.

plenty of homebrew you say? ok. lets continue.

now do you have any Apps that replicate the functionality of a website?

or do you plan to download such an app? i think you will. maybe it' yelp, infopedia, craigslist, opentable, city search? tweed? maybe you haven't yet but you will. you WILL download one such app, and yes, you will be a hypocrite, it is inevitable.
    All I've got it Twee, but I don't even use the actual Twitter website to begin with, whereas I use the facebook website all the time.

Also, you're whining because Facebook is at version 3.0 on the iPhone, whine to them about not making a Pre app, thats who you should be whining to, not Palm.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    All I've got it Twee, but I don't even use the actual Twitter website to begin with, whereas I use the facebook website all the time.

Also, you're whining because Facebook is at version 3.0 on the iPhone, whine to them about not making a Pre app, thats who you should be whining to, not Palm.
    Read my first post, where did i whine or say " i want an app now!"

i didnt..i posted a link and let the flame wars begin. try reading my original post again. And i find it very hard to believe that Twee is the only app on your pre
    i left my itouch at home, and am saddened by this ;(
    Read my first post, where did i whine or say " i want an app now!"

i didnt..i posted a link and let the flame wars begin. try reading my original post again. And i find it very hard to believe that Twee is the only app on your pre
    Its the only website replacement app I've installed, which is what the post I quoted specifically addressed. Read your own posts. You posted this, about the iPhone, in the Pre section, doesn't matter what you said in the original post, the implied intent of posting this here is to rub salt(LIKE YOU SAID), and to whine and complain. This thread is meant for nothing but trolling. You even said in your first post, "Joe Hewitt needs to make an app ASAP", which implies you want an app now. Did you forget what you posted?

Again, no. It's not up to facebook to make sure palm gets an app. It's up to palm. 300-500k users is insignificant to the number of iphone/ipod users, blackberry, android, etc.

You whine to palm who should have already known for months. Palm is in no catbird seat here...to have the big names come to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Again, no. It's not up to facebook to make sure palm gets an app. It's up to palm. 300-500k users is insignificant to the number of iphone/ipod users, blackberry, android, etc.

You whine to palm who should have already known for months. Palm is in no catbird seat here...to have the big names come to them.
    Are you saying Palm needs to write the app, or Palm needs to secure Facebook to write the app? Palm already seems to be in lock step with Facebook, as I'm certain you're already aware of, at this point, the ball is in Facebook's court to make the app for the Pre, what can Palm do about it?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Just thought i'd spread some salt in the wounds.
    no but seriously, Joe Hewitt needs to make an app asap.

Facebook 3.0 iPhone App Now Available - Facebook - Gizmodo
    Hey guy, thanks for the update... I'm going to install this on my Ipod Itouch, wouldn't have known if you didn't post. Don't listen to all these tools complaining, Pre's will come soon enough
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

how do you know that one hasn't already been submitted to palm and they are just waiting to release when the "APP CATALOG" comes out of "beta"? FB has an app on the centro if I'm not mistaken. Palm doesn't just have it's PRE users as their customers, they have several other phones as well... relax
    I wish there was an interactive online demo of the iPhone FB app so that people who poo-poo the need for one on the Pre could see what all the hubbub is about. It's more than just a website replacement, just like the NFL app is more than just a scaled down version of NFL.com.
    Are you saying Palm needs to write the app, or Palm needs to secure Facebook to write the app? Palm already seems to be in lock step with Facebook, as I'm certain you're already aware of, at this point, the ball is in Facebook's court to make the app for the Pre, what can Palm do about it?
    Are you serious? What can poor little ole Palm do about it?

Answer: whatever they have to do to speed things up. It should've been in that catalog on day one. Facebook isn't the one on a timetable here.
    Quote Originally Posted by zachz View Post
    how do you know that one hasn't already been submitted to palm and they are just waiting to release when the "APP CATALOG" comes out of "beta"? FB has an app on the centro if I'm not mistaken. Palm doesn't just have it's PRE users as their customers, they have several other phones as well... relax
    How do i know? Because i have common sense. Facebook would be a free app. There's no reason not to release it now. There's no reason to wait. It's heavily desired. But perhaps you're right..this is Palm after all..

Mentioning Palm's other phones? They do not matter. Didn't you hear about the funeral? It's all about webOS for Palm.
  13.    #53  
    Its the only website replacement app I've installed, which is what the post I quoted specifically addressed. Read your own posts. You posted this, about the iPhone, in the Pre section, doesn't matter what you said in the original post, the implied intent of posting this here is to rub salt(LIKE YOU SAID), and to whine and complain. This thread is meant for nothing but trolling. You even said in your first post, "Joe Hewitt needs to make an app ASAP", which implies you want an app now. Did you forget what you posted?

Not trolling, I knew it would ignite the fire in each corner, but trolling, no.
    but hey i enjoy a debate. Saying Joe Hewitt needs to make an app asap isn't complaining or whinining, it wasn't followed by an exclamation point.

ANYWAYS,

it will be interesting to see how the Palm Pre Facebook App takes advantage of WebOS whenever it comes..
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    And what are you all debating again? You would think the discussion was health care. Is it necessary to call people apologist and whiners to make a point. I agree, Facebook on the Pre is lacking, with exception of the contacts sync (Awesome). But seriously a lot of times these apps are built better than their Web/computer counterpart. If I tweet, I do it on the Pre with an app before even bothering to go to twitter on my computer or on the web, the app is just that much more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erika Ruth View Post
    Yeah, one of the major reasons I have not bought my Pre yet.
    OMG!!!!!!!!!! no facebook app!!!
    gonna return my pre now
    omg
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    And what are you all debating again? You would think the discussion was health care. Is it necessary to call people apologist and whiners to make a point. I agree, Facebook on the Pre is lacking, with exception of the contacts sync (Awesome). But seriously a lot of times these apps are built better than their Web/computer counterpart. If I tweet, I do it on the Pre with an app before even bothering to go to twitter on my computer or on the web, the app is just that much more efficient.
    right, when i DID have an iPhone, I seldomly used the actual FB website, the app was JUST THAT COMPLETE. Coming from an iPhone or BB to a Pre leaves much to be desired when it comes to using FB. I dont feel like getting into the "why not just use x,m,or iphone.facebook.com", spare me please. All i know is that the Pre NEEDS a native FB app. Hopefully it will release once the app catalog comes out of beta
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Joe Hewitt actually developed a nice FaceBook web app for the original iPhone OS (2007) before he transitioned to a native app, and he put together the well known iUI web app framework that made web apps look like native iPhone apps. So based on that, I think he could easily do something for the webOS.
    Joe Hewitt had an interesting blog post complaining about Apple. He slaved over a highly anticipated iPhone app, submitted it, then waited over a week with no status info for why it's taking so long. This forum would classify him as a "whiner" but the reality is that he's a major developer that was going through hell waiting for Apple to give permission for his baby to be born.

Now some may say who cares, it's an iPhone app. Well think about this. If it's easier to get approved on WebOS, Android and WinMo then why would someone PREFER Apple's iron grip? Because they don't see the other platforms to be a big deal, and you can see that in the crippled apps we've seen so far. We may deserve better, but that doesn't mean we're going to get it.

Joe Hewitt Blog Post - Frustrated with Apple Approval Process
    Ok let me get my thoughts out on this subject.

I thought Palm would announce Facebook app and its chat function built into core OS just like photo upload support and contact sync support. To my surprise that didnt happen. I mean Steve Job didnt even acknowledge Facebook in his intro of Iphone but Palm folks picked spokeswoman from Facebook and put on stage just so she can talk about how cool Facebook is and what their plan is (world domination).

But I thought ok that is fine. At least we will get same webpage that iphone has so we will be able to use common features like Comments etc. But no. They made their own page formatted for Palm Pre which dont support many functions (that start with X in contrast to default M). Well, ok... I still thought they will realize that its not a good option and force Facebook to keep mobile page that is formatted for Iphone Palm Pre-compatible. But noooo.

My question to Palm is: till you open up native SDK where devs have access to hardware you can only make better apps that are not Games etc. So along with movies, weather, pandora, books, and Maps apps dont you think Facebook would have been your logical choice for an app. You were even open to Twitter.

I didnt sleep all night and I know I will regret this post later when I get pounded on this thread but if I was Jon Rubenstein I would have called Facebook HQ and ordered a native app for Facebook right after I hang up with Adobe people making sure WebOS get Flash support. Just sayin....
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
    right, when i DID have an iPhone, I seldomly used the actual FB website, the app was JUST THAT COMPLETE. Coming from an iPhone or BB to a Pre leaves much to be desired when it comes to using FB. I dont feel like getting into the "why not just use x,m,or iphone.facebook.com", spare me please. All i know is that the Pre NEEDS a native FB app. Hopefully it will release once the app catalog comes out of beta
    I definitely agree that a native app would be better than any of the mobile websites and easier to use on a small screen than the full website. For now friendsflow and the Pre's native contact sync is holding me over for status updates comment system, and contact management.

Man why is it everyone here has to be on the one extreme of "whiners" or the other of "apologizers". I'm a realist. The reality as I see it, is the Pre is definitely lacking in apps, homebrew is helping along for now. The Pre & WebOS are also a tad under 3 months old, and Palm's main concern is getting the phone performing at it's best and making sure it's features as a smartphone are functioning. Apps will come, but you can't expect official apps to be pouring in until the app store is actually out of beta and really open for business. As a developer why would I release something for free now when I can wait till the store is open and I can make money on it?

If people require a native facebook app in their phone then I say more power to them. They shouldn't buy a product that can do what they need it to do. As for me the Pre does what I need it to do better than an iPhone. I'd love some native apps for some websites, but that's for the 3rd party developers to handle, since that's what an App store is all about. I want Palm making sure my phone is running as battery efficiently as possible, and that it has all the built in functions of the calendar and task manager that I could use alot more than an app that a 3rd party developer should be working on.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    But seriously a lot of times these apps are built better than their Web/computer counterpart. If I tweet, I do it on the Pre with an app before even bothering to go to twitter on my computer or on the web, the app is just that much more efficient.
    I'm with you on that. MLB, FaceBook, Quicken Online, WebMD, some games etc. There's a TON of website based apps that seem to translate well into a standalone app so why don't we see more desktop versions as an alternative to the web interface? (Hulu and Twitter are good examples of standalone desktop apps)
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast