Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    thats bringing the love! sure to quiet things down!

what if we are insecure about our wives, would that count?

now that is off track!
    I think what he may have been trying to say is that the people who rush into yet another facebook thread to defend the Pre's lack of a facebook app by using the absurd argument to "just use the full site" are getting hostile because they feel yet again the pre is being attacked when in reality it was just a thread about the iphone's new facebook app and the need for a palm pre version.
    ANYWAY.....is there any way to email this guy or something about maybe making a palm pre facebook app? I know a lot of iphone developers only make iphone apps but its worth a try. Maybe if we all start emailing him it'll show him there's a market to make money.
    well whatever, the pre does a great job with x.facebook for me, but a dedicated app for some functions, IE IM would be welcomed. I also understand that certain functions of the last itteration (don't kknow about the new one) of the iphone app were lacking some things hard core facebookers wanted, like easily playing mafia wars, whatever that may be, I wonder if it still falls short.
    There are four lights.
    well whatever, the pre does a great job with x.facebook for me, but a dedicated app for some functions, IE IM would be welcomed. I also understand that certain functions of the last itteration (don't kknow about the new one) of the iphone app were lacking some things hard core facebookers wanted, like easily playing mafia wars, whatever that may be, I wonder if it still falls short.
    Mafia wars probably uses flash, which the iphone doesn't have. I want to be able to tag/comment on pics.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I'm still confused whats wrong with using the actual facebook site? If I ever feel like facebooking on my phone, thats what I use, and it works great.
    Crippled Mobile Site = Works Great.
    Standalone fully functional App = Works Greaters.

Anyway, this thread upsets some but is relavant to the board because the Pre is one of the only major smartphones lacking a FB app so I really hope we dont get left out much longer.

(BTW. I've been messing with FB 3.0 and it's pretty slick. People should try it out before judging the web version to be equal. I even prefer it to the full version.)
    Isn't there a homebrew app already in the catalog here on PreCentral that allows you to play Mafia Wars on the Pre?

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/mmafia
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadCircus View Post
    Isn't there a homebrew app already in the catalog here on PreCentral that allows you to play Mafia Wars on the Pre?

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/mmafia
    apparently so, I don't play the mafia wars thing, but that app looks like very very well done. I assume this is a preview of something that will be available in the app catalog at some point.
    There are four lights.
    I don't understand why Facebook and Yahoo Messenger weren't included when the Palm Pre first came out. It is not like Palm didn't know that they were widely used mobile phone applications.

Video is ok but it will eat up the only 8GB of space real fast.
    well whatever, the pre does a great job with x.facebook for me, but a dedicated app for some functions, IE IM would be welcomed.
    The mobile version is not very interactive, which totally defeats the purpose of Facebook. It reminds me of just standing outside a theme park watching other people have fun on the rides The full site is a pain on such a small screen so that's not really much of an alternative.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    ANYWAY.....is there any way to email this guy or something about maybe making a palm pre facebook app? I know a lot of iphone developers only make iphone apps but its worth a try. Maybe if we all start emailing him it'll show him there's a market to make money.

Joe Hewitt actually developed a nice FaceBook web app for the original iPhone OS (2007) before he transitioned to a native app, and he put together the well known iUI web app framework that made web apps look like native iPhone apps. So based on that, I think he could easily do something for the webOS. With some minor tweaks, I suspect his iPhone web app would run perfectly on the Pre, so it might not even involve any new work for him.

Give him a shout: Joe Hewitt (I was talking to calsccr9 here; don't everybody swamp the guy with requests, since he's busy and it would probably just annoy him).
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    haha, i didn't think i was being "hostile", is that possible on a web forum?
    I am merely de-constructing his failed logic point by point.
    sorry to scare you kind folks.
    Oh no, it's your lack of a good point or a cogent argument that has us frightened.
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The hostility here from many of the new posters is ridiculous. Some of you need to stop acting like someone insulted your wife when they bring up a short coming of the device.

Grow up. Are you really that insecure about your purchase or yourself?
    Yes, I feel that my mobile communications device defines me as a person.

That, and my $2000 sofa.
    There's nothing wrong with wanting something on the Pre, or waiting for the Pre to have a feature before getting it.

What annoys people is the constant references to the iPhone and apps on it. Okay, you want a Facebook app, that's fine and completely understandable. While it doesn't matter to me, I definitely can see how it would matter to some.

But, the fact that the iPhone has a new version of its Facebook app is really irrelevant, since it's not portable, and not written in the same language. If you want something, fine. But don't point to "the iPhone has it, why don't we?" as the reason why... especially when the first line of your post is "Just to rub some salt in your wounds." That makes it sound like flame-bait, which is why you would get hostile responses.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Oh no, it's your lack of a good point or a cogent argument that has us frightened.
    you still didn't respond, do you have any such apps on your Pre.
    Get back to me when you do, until then your attacks just fail
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with wanting something on the Pre, or waiting for the Pre to have a feature before getting it.

What annoys people is the constant references to the iPhone and apps on it. Okay, you want a Facebook app, that's fine and completely understandable. While it doesn't matter to me, I definitely can see how it would matter to some.

But, the fact that the iPhone has a new version of its Facebook app is really irrelevant, since it's not portable, and not written in the same language. If you want something, fine. But don't point to "the iPhone has it, why don't we?" as the reason why... especially when the first line of your post is "Just to rub some salt in your wounds." That makes it sound like flame-bait, which is why you would get hostile responses.
    The fact that a competing platform just recieved a major update to the most popular mobile application that our platform is currently lacking is irrelevant?

Relevant or not, it was worth the post, and i posted.
    If Palm had no apps at launch and none being added since then while we're waiting on the app store to take shape, then you're not likely to hear griping...well except about the wait .

But Palm had 30 apps at launch with SELECTED developers. It begged the question then and still does...why didn't they go for some homerun apps even if in beta form? The answer "because the big names wanted to wait and see how Pre sales were" is a terrible answer.

Because if that's their answer, its up to palm/sprint to get them to change that answer and get it done. You work it out (here's some incentive, we'll feature it forever, etc). Given how we constantly hear how easily the Pandora app was thrown together on a napkin at a lunch break one day, it makes it even harder to understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    you still didn't respond, do you have any such apps on your Pre.
    Get back to me when you do, until then your attacks just fail
    You need to get off this guy's case!

Who cares if he downloaded the Yelp app, or the Craigslist app, or the Match.com app, or the OpenTable app, or the whatever app? He didn't say that he preferred those actual websites to native apps. He was simply stating that the actual Facebook site works great for him, and he probably didn't feel the need for a native Facebook app at this moment. I don't think you take this one example and conclude that he prefers all actual websites to their respective native apps.
    Last edited by PalmOD; 08/28/2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: typing error
    Just out of curiosity, i re-read this thread to see who started the name calling. Congratulations VickMackey.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If Palm had no apps at launch and none being added since then while we're waiting on the app store to take shape, then you're not likely to hear griping...well except about the wait .

But Palm had 30 apps at launch with SELECTED developers. It begged the question then and still does...why didn't they go for some homerun apps even if in beta form? The answer "because the big names wanted to wait and see how Pre sales were" is a terrible answer.

Because if that's their answer, its up to palm/sprint to get them to change that answer and get it done. You work it out (here's some incentive, we'll feature it forever, etc). Given how we constantly hear how easily the Pandora app was thrown together on a napkin at a lunch break one day, it makes it even harder to understand.
    I agree. That is basically what all us "whiners" are saying.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    You need to get off this guy's case!

Who cares if he downloaded the Yelp app, or the Craigslist app, or the Match.com app, or the OpenTable app, or the whatever app? He didn't say that he preferred those actual websites to native apps. He was simply stating that the actual Facebook site works great for him, and he probably didn't feel the need for a native Facebook app at this moment. I don't think you take this one example and conclude that he prefers all actual websites to their respective native apps.
    No one is on anyone's case, He replied in a thread about a facebook app with the tried and true "the website works", i'm simply pointing out that that is not a practical option for most facebook users, and most users want an app much like the new IPhone 3.0 Facebook app.

He said my points were not cogent, and lacking. I happened to point out that they were not.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast