Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I searched for an answer, didn't really come close, so I'm starting a new thread.

I am unable to access my "global contacts list" through the Pre. I'm receiving emails and sending emails fine with my EAS Outlook account, but I can't find my contacts.

The part where I'm confused is that I know for a fact (100%) that about a month ago I somehow used the search through the global contacts list to find people I needed to email. I'm pretty sure this is a PICNIC (problem in chair not in computer) issue, but I cannot figure out how to do it again. Can someone please tell me where I should be going to access my global contacts list because I can't seem to remember or it somehow disappeared? Thanks!

FYI, I only have two email accounts set up, EAS Outlook and Gmail. Also, I deleted the account and started over today, but that didn't help.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    when you go to contacts and see the preferences and accounts, do you see exchange as one of the accounts?

Is it the default account?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsdad View Post
    when you go to contacts and see the preferences and accounts, do you see exchange as one of the accounts?

Is it the default account?
    I have my gmail as my default account. I think I know what you're getting at...gonna go switch it and see what happens. Before I even go, that is one of the things I switched within the time period that I couldn't access it anymore. I hope that's what it was!

EDIT: Hmmm, got a little ahead of myself. I went to "preferences and accounts" in the email app, but now I just went to the same location in the "contacts" section. My gmail was the default account. I just switched it to Outlook account. Do I need to click "sync now"?

EDIT REDUX: Clicked "sync now," went back to email app, started to compose a new message, but still nothing shows up as far as "global contacts" goes. I have contacts, but they're not the ones from work.
    Last edited by coachdvc; 08/27/2009 at 02:29 PM.
    Are you talking about contacts that you have saved in outlook through your exchange or the global address book for your exchange? Because when i try to look for a number or email i just start typing within the contact app, phone app, Or new email global address book automatically does a search for the closest match in the global address book. Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post
    Are you talking about contacts that you have saved in outlook through your exchange or the global address book for your exchange? Because when i try to look for a number or email i just start typing within the contact app, phone app, Or new email global address book automatically does a search for the closest match in the global address book. Hope that helps.
    I'm speaking of the "global address book." I work for Orange County Public Schools and we have THOUSANDS of employees. If I'm at work, I can open Outlook, search in the "to" tab and everyone's name comes up in the global search that matches. I have done that before on my Pre, but for some reason, now I can't get it to do that.

I'm almost positive that when I did it before, I opened up another window or something that was a "global search" within my EAS Outlook on the Pre. I could be wrong, but I don't think I just started typing someone's name like I would on my work computer. I believe I had to be in the "global search" location on my Pre.
    I lost all of my Outlook contacts (and calendar items) when I uninstalled PocketMirror. I've had to go back through Google to get them back again - cheaper, but more time-consuming.

Did you use PocketMirror, and remove it from your Pre?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I lost all of my Outlook contacts (and calendar items) when I uninstalled PocketMirror. I've had to go back through Google to get them back again - cheaper, but more time-consuming.

Did you use PocketMirror, and remove it from your Pre?
    Nope. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by coachdvc View Post
    I'm speaking of the "global address book." I work for Orange County Public Schools and we have THOUSANDS of employees. If I'm at work, I can open Outlook, search in the "to" tab and everyone's name comes up in the global search that matches. I have done that before on my Pre, but for some reason, now I can't get it to do that.

I'm almost positive that when I did it before, I opened up another window or something that was a "global search" within my EAS Outlook on the Pre. I could be wrong, but I don't think I just started typing someone's name like I would on my work computer. I believe I had to be in the "global search" location on my Pre.
    i also work for a large government job and on my pre when i open a new email to send i just type the persons name first and last, and it automatically starts searching to global address book and gives me the first 100 names compatible to what i am looking for. With the contact app i type a name and if its not in contacts it shows the option for global address seach i click and it searches the GAL for the name. i will try to load screenshots.
    Last edited by QuietStorm21A; 08/27/2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post
    i also work for a large government job and on my pre when i open a new email to send i just type the persons name first and last, and it automatically starts searching to global address book and gives me the first 100 names compatible to what i am looking for. With the contact app i type a name and if its not in contacts it shows the option for global address seach i click and it searches the GAL for the name. i will try to load screenshots.
    I've been trying that, and it doesn't seem to work. I'm going to try the "contacts" app, switching to Exchange, syncing, and then searching. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    ok I just tried on my pre.

Inside email compose window, I start typing a name in the address field and it shows me the matching names from the global address book. You can tell by the fat X next to the name.

I can also do this from the contacts app. When I start typing, it shows the names matched in the pre then if no more named match, I see the banner for global name search with down arrow. I click on it and the drop down window appears with the names from the global address book.

I did notice that universal search does not search from the global address book.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Please disregard this entire thread. I figured out what was wrong. I used my computer at home to double check that my Pre was giving me the proper results on my "global address search" and it was spot on.

I'm embarrassed to say that I kept using the wrong name of the person (Jody instead of Joellen). Uggghhhhh, I'm usually not this idiotic. Sorry and thanks for trying to assist.
    Here you go screenshots i had to blackout names for privacy but i have EAS & gmail on my phone with gmail contacts as the default. try removing and readding you exchange or a reboot and see if you able to do the gal search.

PS
    I used part of your sn to search gal
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coachdvc View Post
    Please disregard this entire thread. I figured out what was wrong. I used my computer at home to double check that my Pre was giving me the proper results on my "global address search" and it was spot on.

I'm embarrassed to say that I kept using the wrong name of the person (Jody instead of Joellen). Uggghhhhh, I'm usually not this idiotic. Sorry and thanks for trying to assist.

Great news to hear i though i probably had some extra feature on my pre oh well . I luv how GAL is intergrated through contacts, phone and email apps. I wish it did the same in universal search. Future update maybe?!
    Just something I've noticed - since I've migrated to Google Calendar, my battery life has gone WAY downhill.

I still have Outlook as my main desktop calendar, which I've linked to Google Calendar. Then Google updates my Pre. I'm not sure how often it does this - I'm having a hard time finding out its schedule. It might even be on manual updates, but I have noticed a marked drop in battery life.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I am having an issue in that the global contacts list from EAS show-up as indicated above in the GAL and have the EAS logo next to them when searching, but other contacts that are in my "Contacts List" in Outlook on the exchange server are not showing up. Only the contacts in the "Global Address Book" show-up. I want to be able to have these personal contacts also appear. There is also an address book that we use from one of the Public Folders on the exchange server, but that address book is not accessible on the Pre.

UPDATE: Ok, actually all of the contacts are there EXCEPT for groups. Is there a way that the groups would be accessible? They are accessible on the OWA, but on the Pre they are not. They are listed in outlook at MAPIPDL under the email type. They do not each have their own actual email addresses for the group, but are merely a grouping under a name that can be typed in or selected that will serve as a distribution list. Any ideas on accessing these on the Pre?
    Last edited by rpankoe; 09/30/2009 at 01:00 AM.