1.    #1  
    Well here we go,

I attend (FBTSOMP) IT training. For you guys who don’t know its Fly By the Seat Of My Pants. The majority of all of my fixes are all trial & error based.

One of my responsibilities is handling IT within our business. Our 2003 Exchange server is small and handles approximately 75 clients. We utilize a self signed certificate.

As a result of Palms Web OS update I was able to connect our Pre’s to the exchange server utilizing the following methods. Removing the “s” and just using http:

This allowed me to connect with no known issues. E-Mail functioned & still functions fine with all of our folders downloading & syncing. Within a day contacts & calendar stopped syncing. This caused me to spend hours reading Precentral & Palm forums. Believe me I have tried everything to fix it. I have deleted profiles, numerous times.

MY FIX, I am not saying I have saved the world. I am just letting you know what worked for me. This was a self fix. I am posting it so maybe if it helps One (1) person it would be worth it. The frustration of not syncing is ridiculous.

I had this same issues on a windows mobile device a few years ago. I don’t know if its an exchange setting or not. (If it is please someone tell me).

MY FIX: I removed contact images from those Exchange contacts that I attached photos to. I then created local Palm Profiles on my Pre using their Names ONLY. I re-attached the images to the Palm Profile (NOT the EXCHANGE PROFILE). This let me use the images like normal. I merged the two profiles & set the Exchange as the primary.

Once all of the images were deleted from the exchange contacts my Calendar & Contacts began to sync again in real time. I don’t have to hit send within Mail.

I hope this works for someone…….
    I too use EAS with a self-signed cert, and why not just load the ROOT cert onto the device and keep using an encrypted connection instead of going unencrypted have all your users authentication going across the internet in clear text. Bad idea to turn off SSL in my opinion.
  3.    #3  
    Its not my decision to go without encryption I didn't even know thats what happened by removing the S. I just said that what I had to do to get it to work for me.

As far as the root cert. I have asked the guy that manages the server to help me out. The cert common name is different.

he says that it is the same cert that I get when I pull the cert from OWA can this be true?
    You manage the IT for your company and didn't know the difference between http and https?
    no 'Thanks'
  5.    #5  
    I said "Handle" not manage. The managing is done by a third party.

I made it very clear that I do not have any formal training, but thanks for the response.
    Either way you should probably go back to the secure method, unless your company doesn't care about privledged information being transmitted insecurely... I'm sure some really don't care.
    no 'Thanks'
  7.    #7  
    I'm not sure they realy care.... I am the only one asking the questions, & Sending clips from forums.
    I work in a really small company (4 employees) our exchange server doesnt have a security certificate. I thought because of this i wasnt going to be able to use my work email on the pre. but your tip of "As a result of Palms Web OS update I was able to connect our Pre’s to the exchange server utilizing the following methods. Removing the “s” and just using http:" It really help. Now I have full a exchange account on my pre. Thank you so much.
  9.    #9  
    It may not be the right way to handle so I have been advised, But it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidm1519 View Post
    Its not my decision to go without encryption I didn't even know thats what happened by removing the S. I just said that what I had to do to get it to work for me.

As far as the root cert. I have asked the guy that manages the server to help me out. The cert common name is different.

he says that it is the same cert that I get when I pull the cert from OWA can this be true?
    No, that is not the same cert. The root cert is used to sign the other certs, and you need to load the root cert onto your phone if you're self signed. You phone will want to compare the public cert to the root cert and since you're self signed you need to load the root cert onto the phone since it will not be able to validate it with one of the public certificate authorities. I can't really help you locate your root cert, but once you have it it's a piece of cake to load onto the phone. The all your sync communications will be encrypted. As other people already explained you really don't want your data going across the internet in clear text.
  11.    #11  
    Ok, So, After long petitioning a GoDaddy cert was purchased and installed.

After more petitioning, active research was done by dude who manages our exhange server. He was able to finally get our pre's & I-Phones to connect with encryption.

Believe me..... there was allot of trial & error.
    Not trying to get on my soapbox here, but I hate to say that the 99% of the need of this thread is from IT guys not knowing what they are doing. I know everyone has tight resources, limited IT budgets, etc. But by "playing along" with your bosses, you perpetuate the mangled problems rather than cutting off the head and burying it.

HTTPS is there for a reason. In fact, with Exchange 2007, you almost cannot get around using a REAL certificate. Anyone using a self-signed cert for Internet connectivity is basically defeating the purpose of why you need a cert in the first place. And with certs from GoDaddy being ridiculously inexpensive, there is NO reason to bypass HTTPS security with Exchange. And if you can afford Exchange, then purchasing a cert for it is a minor addon. Think of how much time and money was wasted on you trying to get around this!! I can almost guarantee it was more than the actual cert!

I see you are running Exchange 2003. If you upgraded to 2007, there is good news and bad news. The bad news is that just about everything you knew about Exchange 2003 will be worthless in Exchange 2007. The good news is that this massive scope change has stopped a lot of IT guys from making a mess of email systems by not allowing them to move on past 2003

I hate to say it, but you are either in the IT business or you are NOT. And if you aren't, then tell your bosses to outsource or get someone that is! It's not fair to you, first off, to dump that on you and its not fair to your company.

And the "lot of trial and error" with encrypted Exchange is not good to hear if you really do have an Exchange guru. It's really pretty straight forward, granted there a lot of steps to properly register the cert with the Exchange server, open ports on the firewall, get the right hostnames, etc. But HTTPS with AES is pretty much straight forward from the phone itself as long as the Exchange2003 server is set properly AND has the latest service packs.

About the only gotcha that I know of with the iPhones and most other phones is that they cannot do client side authentication using certs, you can only do server side certs. Not a big deal as long as you are using complicated passwords on the server end and we know everyone does that via Group Policy, right?
  13.    #13  
    AMEN. I Had the exact conversation with my Boss last week & Guess what he agreed.

So, it looks like I may be going to training, relating my extreme discomfort for half assing IT.