1.    #1  
    For those trying to get contacts from their Palm Desktop to WebOS (or for that matter from Outlook to WebOS) another option has emerged. CompanionLink Software makes a program that syncs Outlook, Palm Desktop, even Lotus with Google. It will sync contacts in palm desktop with contacts in Gmail which inturn can be synced to WebOS.

You do have to pay for Companionlink however if you are only trying to sync once, there is a 14 day trial period which allows you apparent access full functionality of the program.

IMO this is a superior option to syncing WebOS directly with Palm Desktop for three reasons. 1) Google is more reliable than WebOS, you will be less likely to loose your contacts than if synced directly with WebOS 2) Syncing with Gmail combines the data on palm desktop with the data on Gmail, simplifying your contacts by putting them all in one place. 3) who uses Palm Desktop anymore? now that you have a Pre, you will probabaly never use Palm Desktop again.

Downloads

As I have elsewhere, I recommend that you set Google as the default account on Contacts and Calendar. This makes new appointments and contacts part of the google system and not Palm synergy which is not as reliable.
    Does it do memos? I'll have to check it out, thanks...
    I posted this before in another thread about other free options to companionlink:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...ml#post1848602

Go contact sync is free option + google calendar sync is freeware option to companionlink

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    No memos, no tasks. Google is Calendar and Contacts only right now.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Does it do memos? I'll have to check it out, thanks...
    It does both memos and tasks but I don't know where they end up on google. Tasks end up in calendar according to the page below.

See here for more info http://www.companionlink.com/product...?pim=OL&hh=PRE
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cook View Post
    It does both memos and tasks but I don't know where they end up on google. Tasks end up in calendar according to the page below.

See here for more info Sync Microsoft Outlook with your Google account and Palm Pre | CompanionLink
    The memos end up in your contacts under [M] headings. I don't think that it syncs tasks though. I purchased it to sync my Palm Desktop to Google Cal. It works well for that.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Thanks for the great post Captain!

Kupe, while Google doesn't support Tasks and Memos, CompanionLink does it by pushing them through APIs that Google supports. CompanionLink has supported task sync from Outlook and Palm Desktop to Google Apps for a couple years now. CompanionLink added notes sync in July 2009.

For Tasks; Google lacks a task API, and Palm Synergy does not appear to support Palm Pre Tasks. For these two reasons, CompanionLink puts Tasks into the Google Calendar which Synergy moves to the Pre. Tasks appear on their due date, or if they lack a due date they will appear "Today". To keep them "fresh" and for added convenience, past-due tasks are collected together on "Today" as a single item rather than having them slip behind on the calendar.

CompanionLink has an automated sync feature you can use to update "Today" by synchronizing every day, or even every hour, to Google from your PC.

For Notes/Memos; Google deprecated their NoteBook application in early 2009, and Palm Synergy support for Memos appears problematic. For this reason, CompanionLink moves memos to the contact app in Google, which Synergy moves to the Pre. CompanionLink adds |M| to the beginning and end of each note. The pipe character is used so notes sort together at the end of the contact list. Notes are searchable using Universal Search. In CompanionLink Notes are not "On" by default, so you need to go into Setup and click to specifically include the notes in the sync.

Look at the bright side; Tasks and Notes are supported, and improvement updates are free, so it can only get Better!

As Captain noted, CompanionLink has a free 14 day free evaluation so you can try it without charge. CompanionLink offers free telephone technical support as well as email support. As the linux quote goes; free software is only free if your time has no value. At CompanionLink we seek a value proposition to provide an effective solution, and for many people that solution includes assistance with configuration, use and updates.

CompanionLink has a policy of not announcing product until it is available for general release. Count on some excitement real soon now as we unveil our latest development which will be available for immediate download. This development will be a free update for all our users. At CompanionLink, we are committed to Pre and to enhancing the business use of webOS platform devices through effective synchronization to PC Desktop applications.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Last edited by Clcto; 08/26/2009 at 10:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I have a Apple MacBook I use iCal & AddressBook. I have MarkSpace Missing Sync. I downloaded build 34 (Beta) which they told me to do and it will fix my issue. My Pre errors out trying to sync and no events from my Pre go to the MAC. Is there other software programs out there that will work better??
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I use Companion Link Pro and love the sync with Google. However I have found an issue with the way companionlink assigns an "x" to the end of phone numbers wjere there is an extension. I synch with Act v. 9
    I don't use outlook, can I still use this app to sync my pre contacts with google? If not, what is the best way to do that?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I've tried a few different syncing options. I use Outlook, btw. I found Companion Link to do an excellent job. Very happy with it.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    I don't use outlook, can I still use this app to sync my pre contacts with google? If not, what is the best way to do that?
    CompanionLink has some great How To videos on their website and great tech support.
    True. Palm sync is utter garbage. I'm about to go 100% Google.
    Another, less expensive option I found for sync'ing Outlook to Google is GSyncit. http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/ It does Calendar syncing better than Google's free plug-in does - when I tried Google's plug-in certain appt types didn't sync - and it includes Contacts too. It syncs meeting attendees, can handle multiple calendars and contact lists too. Tasks are a feature that the developer is currently working on.

The product works nicely, has a free trial and is only $15. It's updated frequently - maybe a little too frequently with several bug fixes and enhancement releases a month - but it's very actively developed and support is excellent. I had an issue with the trial version and got an email back from the developer the same day and a fix the next so it's hard to complain.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    This is alot of work. i guess blackberry wins the sync wars over all.

i just got my pre and it autosynced with all my gmail contacts. unfortunately its just a bunch of emails and no phone numbers. so i had sprint take contacts from my old phone and put them on my pre.

Id like to have calendar, tasks, email, and contacts synced with gmail, but i dont know how easy of a task that is.

seems there are many ways to do this. i dont mind spending 20$ for a program that makes my life ten times easier rather than jumping through hoops.on The reason i left my teouch pro windows mobileis so that i dont have to deal with all the annoying stuff like this and crashes.

do i go back to blackberry?

Can anyone tell me what i should be doing and the easiest way to do it? thanks.
    Last edited by brett701; 09/11/2009 at 12:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    The folks at companionlink suggested I change the default "x" character to "p" in the Act phone settings. will try it.
    If I wanted to sync with google I would buy an android phone. This is a big problem for palm. They shouldn't have to rely on itunes for music and google for calendar and syncing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    I've tried a few different syncing options. I use Outlook, btw. I found Companion Link to do an excellent job. Very happy with it.
    i use outlook exclusively

so you saying you can use companin link to sync directly with the Pre? or you use it to sync outlook to google, which then auto syncs to phone?