View Poll Results: What's your primary way to sync your PIM data with your Pre?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • CompanionLink/Google

10 11.24%
  • Chapura/Outlook

12 13.48%
  • Chapura/Palm Desktop

4 4.49%
  • Facebook

0 0%
  • Google

41 46.07%
  • Missing Sync/Mac

3 3.37%
  • Missing Sync/Outlook

1 1.12%
  • MS Exchange

15 16.85%
  • I don't need no stinkin' sync

3 3.37%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Wondering what everyone is using to sync their PIM data with their Pre. Everyone's got different needs, and it seems every option has its limitations. I'm using Chapura with Outlook. I don't get notes or task sync, but it's pretty solid with basic calendar and contacts. What about everyone else? What do you use, and how happy are you with your choice?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    OSX (Address Book/Calendar) <-> Google (Contacts/Calendar) <-> Palm Pre

I'm not happy with it because so many fields don't get mapped (like birthdays). And also, the Sprint GPS doesn't seem to see a contact book if it's synced through Google so I have to type everything manually.
    Google to Pre via Synergy.
    Exchange and Evernote since EAS can't do notes.
    What about an option for OTA Palm Profile right now, but really really waiting for a way to continue that OTA backup with a desktop sync of the same "account"...I hate how Missing Sync or Chapura both require you to set up a new account that would not be part of the Palm OTA backup.. sigh
    Right now I am trying out Echo. I'm not thrilled with it so far, so I may go back and pay for Companion Link.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Did you do the trial on Companion Link already? What did you think?
    I've been using Iambic's Agendus for Windows (an overlay for Palm desktop) for years. It serves my purposes for contact, calendar, call and task management. After moving from a Treo to the Pre I used several methods to "sync" my 3500+ active contacts and 1700+ datebook entries.
    Google from the start struck me as risky from a security standpoint. In spite of that I tried it and the bidirectional sync process was a mess. I then tried another private contact/calendar/task hosting service (still the cloud but seemed a more obscure profile for hackers). It worked fairly well but only with a dramatic reduction of numbers of contacts and appointments.

Echo, (after an update fixed a couple of repeating appt sync errors - amazingly responsive tech support by the way) has provided the solution that keeps my data out of the cloud and smoothly (and bidirectionally) synced without any reduction in the size of my databases.

I never used the Palm Pre migration tools - the one way process never made any sense. I am syncing with Google for shared appt management with my kids, my POP email account for personal use and with Exchange for email/calendar/contact syncing with work. Synergy solves the issue of keeping my personal and work appts, contacts and email conveniently available in one interface but discreetly separate. Echo allows my day to day business to continue keeping my desktop and Pre in lockstep.

Itís not perfect, yet, but the Pre is such a superior device compared to anything Iíve used or considered in the last ten years, that itís worth the wait for the fully integrated contact/appt/memo/task management app(s) to come along.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    Did you do the trial on Companion Link already? What did you think?
    I had the Companion Link trial and I liked it. It did exactly what it said it would do -- synced Palm desktop with Google calendar and the Pre. (I've used the Palm desktop for years and am very comfortable with it. Google calendar is a little inelegant, but it helps that it is web-based.) But I wasn't thrilled with the $39.95 price tag for Companion Link.

I waited until another program came along and tried Echo. I didn't like it as well as Companion Link and it was only $10 less, so I decided to go with Companion Link.

I just hope that I didn't buy a program too soon.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I want to synch with Thunderbird and Sunbird, but don't have any options since I refuse to give Google all my data.
    So, I am willing to admit that perhaps I'm an ***** and have set something up weirdly. I am trying to pull all the contact data from the pre, and put it into my Address Book on my mac, which will in turn be fully updated, put onto google, and then the pre will get updated.

I cannot, however, for the life of me, get the information off of the pre. I have tried using iTunes and Mark/Space's Missing Sync to no avail. Any ability to drop this data out and edit it on a computer would help tons. Suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I had the Companion Link trial and I liked it. It did exactly what it said it would do -- synced Palm desktop with Google calendar and the Pre. (I've used the Palm desktop for years and am very comfortable with it. Google calendar is a little inelegant, but it helps that it is web-based.) But I wasn't thrilled with the $39.95 price tag for Companion Link.

I waited until another program came along and tried Echo. I didn't like it as well as Companion Link and it was only $10 less, so I decided to go with Companion Link.

I just hope that I didn't buy a program too soon.
    I'm in the process of upgrading to a Pixi from my current Treo 800w. I might use CompanionLink once I get my Pixi setup.

Before that, I want to transfer my 800w contacts + PIM info to the Pixi. How did you do it? What service/technique did you use?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    I'm in the process of upgrading to a Pixi from my current Treo 800w. I might use CompanionLink once I get my Pixi setup.

Before that, I want to transfer my 800w contacts + PIM info to the Pixi. How did you do it? What service/technique did you use?
    Read the CL USB thread, as I'm struggling to get it to work correctly most of the time.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...oftware-4.html
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I have two Exchange ActiveSyncs accounts on my PrPrPrť --$one$ $for$ $work$ $that$ $syncs$ $with$ $a$ $MacBook$ $Air$, $and$ $one$ $that$ $syncs$ $with$ $my$ $iMac$ $at$ $home$, $both$ $on$ $Entourage$.

Only problem: no sync for my Notes. That's very frustrating, as it worked with the Treo 755p and before that with the 650.

It's (almost) 2010 and we can't sync notes with a PrPrPrť? $Lame$!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I'm a mac user with an Exchange account at work. I sync contacts between Mac Address book and Google using Spanning Sync and between Google and the pre via Synergy. I also sync my Pre contacts with LinkedIn and Facebook via Synergy as well.

I sync my work calendar with Exchange via ActiveSync. I also set-up a few b-days in Google and also sync to that Google calendar via Synergy.

Now that I have been doing this for a while I sure wish I have a Synergy desktop. I spend 10x the time on my computer as my phone.
    I'm using Kontact application on my Kubuntu Linux desktop, which involves akonadi.
    It was a 'pain in that dark hole' project to make data from my old Trēo 650 over to PrPrPr&#$275$; $in$ $this$ $environment$, $but$ $I$ $managed$, $and$ $have$ $several$ $scenarios$ $I$ $can$ $advise$, $if$ $someone$ $cares$ ($too$ $lengthy$ $to$ $describe$ $w$/$o$ $particular$ $need$).
    For daily life I am still forced to use google in-between PrPrPr&#$275$; $and$ $my$ $desktop$, $although$ $I$ $have$ $absolutely$ $no$ $need$ $of$ $neither$ $google$ $contacts$, $nor$ $google$ $calendar$.
    Erix (a.k.a. Rednex)
    IBM WorkPad 20x-> IBM WorkPad 30x -> Palm V -> Trēo 180g -> Trēo 270 -> Trēo 600 -> Trēo 650 -> Palm Prē
  17. VTP
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Calendar: Google Calendar Sync (free). Can update my calendar on the Pre, or within Outlook, and everything syncs through the cloud.
    Contacts: gSyncit. Only $14.99, and it syncs both calendar and contacts (I use it for Contacts only). I recommend it, and you can get it at http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/.
    Tasks / To Do: GQueues (free). Similar to Google Tasks which is at gmail.com/tasks, but more configurable in terms of priorities, sorting, etc. It's web-based, not a downloaded app, so you're syncing to the cloud.
    Memos / Notes: Evernote. The weakest solution of the four in that the Pre app doesn't permit sorting & organizing by categories, such as Business, Personal, etc.

Total cost = $14.99, as compared to solutions like Chapura PocketMirror at $40 (which does not sync Memos), CompanionLink at $40, or the Missing Sync at $40 (which does not sync either Tasks or Memos).
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I too use Gsyncit for my Calendar and Contacts. Love it.
    OS X ical/address book --> Google --> Pre

works well enough for me, though I wish I was using Outlook rather than ical/address book. Not Pre's fault.
    I use exchange for my contacts and google for the calendar. It sounds weird but I wanted a way to easily share my calendar but keep my contacts local to my server at home. I have google contacts as well but I dont like the interface and I dont enjoy synchronizing with outlook (im on ancient outlook xp still...not fun).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast