Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I am really getting frustrated. I need to sync over 4500 contacts with the Pre. If you try to sync this number of contacts, or even a quarter, to Google contacts, your computer pretty much shuts down while you wait for Google Contacts to upload the Contacts. Sync with Google Contacts is a disaster when you have this many contacts. Slow.....slow.....and more slow.

Is there any solution or alternative available?
    Delete the one you don't use. Do you really need all of them? Don't even know of a phone out there that will even handle that many contacts.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Actually, I do need them all. There is additional information kept in my contacts which I need to have available with me. What is sad is that my trusted Palm T|X and before that my T5 and years before that my M515 had no problems keeping this information available on my Desktop and my PDA. No lag, no problems, instant access.

Now, many many years later, I have a state of the art PDA/Phone but it can't handle this amount of data? This is why Palm needed to keep supporting the Desktop. Cloud computing is fine when you have a limited amount of data but when you carry a PDA/phone for business, the cloud doesn't seem to be able to handle the data that a PDA used to.

Very very frustrating.
    lol wow, 4500 contacts?! i'd go crazy trying to find someone...
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fventura03 View Post
    lol wow, 4500 contacts?! i'd go crazy trying to find someone...
    I've never had a problem finding someone with any of my previous Palm PDAs. I once read that the PalmOS could handle up to 15,000 contacts.
    I have just over 4000 contacts and sync with Google. My Pre's contact app runs very quickly. With universal search I can quickly find the person I am looking for by starting to type their name, or company name. I never have any problems.

If you are talking about your computer being slow there are several solutions. One get a new computer with more memory and a faster processor. Or use Google Chrome to speed up Gmail by at least 2 or 3 times. Internet Explorer + Gmail = Serious Lag
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    rc46,

Thanks for that. I'm going to try that now! How did you preserve the categories contained in the Palm Desktop/Outlook? I am syncing with Google via CompanionLink.

Edited:

Wow! You were not kidding! Google Contacts in Chrome is amazingly fast compared to IE. I uploaded all 4500 contacts into Google Contacts in no time. Many thanks!

As an aside, anyone know how to make the fonts in Chrome look the same as in IE? The IE look seems more polished. (Yes, I tried the change fonts option in Chrome but that did nothing).
    Last edited by Quintus; 08/21/2009 at 09:54 AM.