1.    #1  
    Anyone else having a problem convincing their IT dept to allow the Pre to connect? I only asked for them to generate a certificate for me to install myself but I can't get beyond the "we only support Blackberry and Windows Mobile".

It's that Window Mobile exclusivity that mystifies me. How have others gotten over this hurdle with their IT department?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Do you know how to install a certificate on the pre?
    File a discrimination suit.

Seriously, if I had to rely on our local IT guys (previously WM but now big time iPhone fans) I doubt I would ever have got hooked up. Fortunately I've got a connection in one of our east coast offices.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I only asked for them to generate a certificate for me to install myself
    Is your EAS setup for Certificate based authentication or are you needing this because the certificate is self signed? Our EAS uses a self signed certificate (for now) and all I needed to do was to go to the EAS website with my browser and accept/install the certificate. After that I was able to get EAS setup and have been happy and syncing ever since.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Do you have a link to where I can try & get that certificate? I work for a major IT product provider & they gave me the whole..."We do not support any Palm devices at this time, but may look into this in the future. We generally do not accept devices with an os that is less than 6 months old..."

I'm wondering if I get that certificate, I might be able to connect...
    Thats interesting about your IT dept. They sound like mine. I thought my Pre would have email connections issues due to their tight hold on Windows only devices, but upon login, my Pre instantly loaded all email. Not sure why or how. I just chalked it up to the magic that is the Pre!
    Can you point your Pre to their webmail URL? That should work .
  8.    #8  
    Webmail is on the VPN and requires an RSA token. But WM phones can get direct push just like BB. Problem is, they're not saying where and how.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Tell them you have a new Windows Mobile device and you need to know how to connect. You should be able to do it the same-way (you just won't go through ActiveSync to do it).
    My IT people were perfectly willing to support the Pre as long as the Exchange security policies were in place, which occurred after the last update. They also support WM and iPhone. They tested it, we went through a few problems and a bug that required a specific box setting on the Exchange server but we got it working fine. In order to use the secure wireless, they did have to search around for a certificate. However, for email alone, using EVDO, there wasn't any certificate needed. Essentially as long as they could require a PIN every 15 minutes of inactivity, they were fine with it. They should be supporting you, by the way. That's their job.
  11.    #11  
    Yeah, they should be supporting me but it's a CYA mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    My IT people were perfectly willing to support the Pre as long as the Exchange security policies were in place, which occurred after the last update. They also support WM and iPhone. They tested it, we went through a few problems and a bug that required a specific box setting on the Exchange server but we got it working fine. In order to use the secure wireless, they did have to search around for a certificate. However, for email alone, using EVDO, there wasn't any certificate needed. Essentially as long as they could require a PIN every 15 minutes of inactivity, they were fine with it. They should be supporting you, by the way. That's their job.
    If you have a friend /w a Windows device that is connected to your email system you could have him connect to WiFi and take a look at your server logs to see where the traffic is going.

That would be a good place to start. And, I like the idea of borrowing someone's WinMo device and having it setup for your email; then use the same settings/URL for your Pre.
    Personally I do not support backdooring your employer. It is their equitment, their software. If they say no then that is it. There are certain employeers that will have no problem firing someone for doing what you are trying to do. I would tread lightly. Perhaps your IT depatment does not want to spend an exesive amount of time assiting you and your device that they have no experince with at all when you have a problem.
    Dude, I can't even get my company to allow this since it has to be a company issued Blackberry. So even if I had a blackberry (Which I did), I can't get access to work email. My work also blocks Facebook and Twitter and some other sites that don't even make sense. Goes to show you how prehistoric my company is in regards to the internet.
    Or it could be they are worried about the time sink that FB, Twitter, YouTube, Ebay etc are. Not to mention the security concerns associated with a lot of websites. As for you having your own BB, they have no control over what you do with your personal device. What software is loaded etc.

Plain and simple, you work for a company. They make the rules as it is their equipment, resources and information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakej View Post
    Or it could be they are worried about the time sink that FB, Twitter, YouTube, Ebay etc are. Not to mention the security concerns associated with a lot of websites. As for you having your own BB, they have no control over what you do with your personal device. What software is loaded etc.

Plain and simple, you work for a company. They make the rules as it is their equipment, resources and information.
    Dude...they block youtube but not Hulu. go figure.
    Then they are relying on a less than stellar system to filter content.
    It's selective. They don't actually block youtube. They let you get into it but it won't load the videos. You CAN get into facebook - if you use their guest wi-fi network for visitors but you can't if you're on the main wi-fi network. They don't block CNN sports but block ESPN.

I understand these "rules" but it does get out of hand. Hell...I can't even delete an app icon from my desktop!
    Our company got the Pre officially approved for EAS pretty quickly after the 1.1 update.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    My personal perspective about getting this approved is to show your device to the highest ranking company officer you can find and "sell" them on it. There is something to the CEO having their secretary call down to say the CEO wants their Palm Pre set up with the system that gets this kind of thing approved much faster.

Dave