Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Facebook sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    what would you expect this fb app to do that you cant do with the browser?

have you ever used the iPhones fb app? its just about better than the actual site. plus you get real time notifications, as opposed to no notifications with web based fb. i get notifications thru email, but when your coming from an iPhone or BB that has a native fb app, using the website just, hmm.SUCKS
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdavis55 View Post
    Palm. Listen. We need an effing facebook app... If you make me wait much longer I'm gonna break up with you....
    I'm familiar with Facebook, but what's the "effing" feature?
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    what would you expect this fb app to do that you cant do with the browser?
    Wouldn't an app be optimized to work with the phone as opposed to the pc's browser version? Less double-tapping, pinching, zooming, and scrolling to see text and pictures?
    Sounds like a status update to me. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    Aww man...I thought this thread was an announcement for a new app. Booooo
    lol So did I ...smh
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
    have you ever used the iPhones fb app? its just about better than the actual site. plus you get real time notifications, as opposed to no notifications with web based fb. i get notifications thru email, but when your coming from an iPhone or BB that has a native fb app, using the website just, hmm.SUCKS
    exactly. The actual site can drain your battery, eats up memory. It's nice at times, but the app would be much quicker.

And even if you sign up for FB notifications via sms, sometimes they don't come for 4-6 hours, maybe even next day.
    I don't understand why people want an app that only does facebook when the web browser gives you access to the full facebook. Even chat works. I have no need for some half-baked app when I can just go to the site and do everything like I would at home on my PC. The only downside is I can't install FB Purity like I do on Firefox to block all of the retarded quizzes
    maybe I am just technologically challenged, but why can't you just type in facebook.com to your browser? You get the EXACT same webpage as you would on a computer.
    I am confused, where does the "need" come into this? I understand say "needing" water.
    What is so terrible about using facebook.com?
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Too much pinching and zooming and scrolling to use Facebook.com. And the mobile version is too crippled.

I mean, why have any app on the Pre? Most every the apps do, you can do on a webpage.
    For those of you who have never used the iphones or blackberrys facebook app. please understand there is a massive difference between that, and just typing in "facebook.com, m.facebook.com,x.facebook.com, etc..."

The user friendliness, the ability to comment of status', the lack of need to pinch and move around the page, the way it manages viewing pictures, etc, etc, etc....there are a lot of differences. trust me.

There is absolutely a need for a native fb app, and if you're happy with all the annoyances of accessing the above mentioned sites...more power to you....but there are a lot, and i mean A LOT of people that want a native app, because there is a HUUUUUGE difference.

Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I don't understand why people want an app that only does facebook when the web browser gives you access to the full facebook.
    I can't believe people don't understand how an APPLICATION differs from 'just going to the webpage'. Are you people serious?

There's a huge difference.

You can same the same thing about Twitter. Why do we need Tweed when we can just go to twitter.com? Think about it.

An Facebook APP would be custom made with the webOS UI and much much easier to use. Try the iPhone or Blackberry FB apps and you'll understand the difference.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    i need a facebook app also but seriously u really had to share that?
    What would a facebook app allow us to do that going to the website does not?

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    Why do so many people keep questioning the need for a native app?

The Facebook page that comes programmed into the phone (x.facebook.com) is very limited in terms of the things you can do (rarely shows updates even after refreshing, no chat available, cannot leave comments, is just plain difficult to browse, among many others).

The generic 'mobile' Facebook page (m.facebook.com) while functional, is effectively just a text version of the site... Pictures are limited (if even present at all), chat is absent, and for the most part is just a barebones version of the site designed for phones that aren't capable of handling the rich display of the normal Facebook site (which hardly applies to the Pre).

A lot of people are fine with simply browsing the normal Facebook site through their browser, and more power to them. I, however, am not one of them. I become slightly annoyed by having to pinch constantly to zoom, resizing constantly to get to different parts of my screen, having to look around for the notification window after any action I take, having the chat/application bar effectively cover the middle of my screen and block my news feed, accidentally navigate to another page simply because I misclicked an itty-bitty link (God knows the Pre's touchscreen isn't the most accurate).... Alas, I could go on all day.

While we do have options, many people (myself included) aren't happy with the ones available, and more importantly are somewhat bitter about the fact that other phones (BB, iPhone) do have native apps that provide all the attributes of the normal site, while taking into consideration the functionality and features of that particular smartphone.

The normal Facebook page isn't designed to be viewed on mobile browsers; if it were, there would be no need for sites such as x.facebook.com or m.facebook.com. We should not be coerced into using a service through a means it wasn't designed for.

And for all these reasons, we need a FB app. Thank you.
    Let me clarify here. I see the reason for a facebook app, do I think it should be anywhere NEAR a top priority for palm right now? Absolutely not. There are plenty of things that need to be taken care of first.

Facebook.com actuallys works correctly, 100%. I am not even certain why you bought a smart phone if you are unwilling to "deal with the annoyances" of navigating a properly rendered HTML page. You could get facebook on almost any phone.

There WILL be one people, just wait and let Palm take care of the important things first!
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    I see the reason for a facebook app, do I think it should be anywhere NEAR a top priority for palm right now? Absolutely not. There are plenty of things that need to be taken care of first.
    Putting out the app is Facebook's responsibility, not Palm's. The only aspect in which Palm may be to blame is the apparent difficulty of developers getting their apps into the catalog, which very well may be the actual problem.

However, to me it seems likely that if big-name, high-traffic sites such as Pandora, NY Times, Associated Press, Fandango/Flixster could have gotten their apps into the catalog, Facebook should not have been left far behind. Especially with some of the crummier apps that are already on the catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    Facebook.com actuallys works correctly, 100%. I am not even certain why you bought a smart phone if you are unwilling to "deal with the annoyances" of navigating a properly rendered HTML page.
    There's more to a smartphone than web browsing. Integration of calendars and contacts, accessibility to email, full keyboards (virtual or physical) that enhance the ease of communication, ability to view documents... list goes on.

Web browsing is just an added plus. And again, if "properly rendered HTML page[s]" were meant to be viewed on smartphones, there would be no mobile versions of any website.
    I don't want a facebook app or anything, but I think it is deceiving that the pre continuously runs ads displaying the pre on facebook, doing things it cannot do. Also, in almost every ad, there is an icon for facebook on the main menu; making people think there is a facebook app, where it is really just a link to the webpage.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    is there anyone we can contact at facebook to see if there is an app in the works for the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by jasetroncs View Post
    Why do so many people keep questioning the need for a native app?

The Facebook page that comes programmed into the phone (x.facebook.com) is very limited in terms of the things you can do (rarely shows updates even after refreshing, no chat available, cannot leave comments, is just plain difficult to browse, among many others).

The generic 'mobile' Facebook page (m.facebook.com) while functional, is effectively just a text version of the site... Pictures are limited (if even present at all), chat is absent, and for the most part is just a barebones version of the site designed for phones that aren't capable of handling the rich display of the normal Facebook site (which hardly applies to the Pre).

A lot of people are fine with simply browsing the normal Facebook site through their browser, and more power to them. I, however, am not one of them. I become slightly annoyed by having to pinch constantly to zoom, resizing constantly to get to different parts of my screen, having to look around for the notification window after any action I take, having the chat/application bar effectively cover the middle of my screen and block my news feed, accidentally navigate to another page simply because I misclicked an itty-bitty link (God knows the Pre's touchscreen isn't the most accurate).... Alas, I could go on all day.

While we do have options, many people (myself included) aren't happy with the ones available, and more importantly are somewhat bitter about the fact that other phones (BB, iPhone) do have native apps that provide all the attributes of the normal site, while taking into consideration the functionality and features of that particular smartphone.

The normal Facebook page isn't designed to be viewed on mobile browsers; if it were, there would be no need for sites such as x.facebook.com or m.facebook.com. We should not be coerced into using a service through a means it wasn't designed for.

And for all these reasons, we need a FB app. Thank you.
    Exactly
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast