Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Hope I can explain this -
    I have a Gmail, Hotmail, Comcast email accounts set up. Hotmail & Comcast allow me to switch on/off whether I want email removed from server (on) or not (off).
    Gmail does not have this option.
    When I synced with Gmail, and removed my recent email from the Pre, it took my email from my inbox and it was gone off server as well.
    As well as all the other email I had in my inbox!!! Never to be found again - and I had stuff saved there to followup. Not good!!

Is there a way to take email off Pre in Gmail so that it does not come out of my inbox and stays there so I can see on on PC later?
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    GMail uses IMAP protocol by default, which mirrors your Inbox onto the Pre, if you delete something from the Pre it's deleted in GMail and vice versa.
    There are a couple of solutions you could try though.
    Option 1:Remove your GMail account from your Pre and do a manual setup, but enter all the GMail server information. By doing this, you can use the Archive function of GMail. In your GMail account under Settings/IMAP you will see an option to use Archive for deleted items through IMAP (when you choose delete on the Pre, GMail treats it like Archive). You still won't see them in your Inbox on GMail, but you'll be able to find them in All Mail - on both GMail and the Pre.
    Option 2: Remove your GMail account from your Pre and create a new account, but make it POP3. You have to turn POP3 on for you GMail account in GMail. In GMail you can select to leave all mail on the server. If you do this then you email will be delivered to the Pre but when you delete it, it will still remain in GMail. The biggest drawback to this method is that Push email is not available.

I hope that helps.
    Excellent reply, Loogie!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Thanks very much. Great help. Wish I realized that before.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    so thinking about it overnight -

and will try what was suggested cause it makes sense --
    but I had a Palm Treo 700wx before the Pre, with my Gmail account - and that did not remove mail from Gmail server ... still IMAP, so why not?
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    The default set up for Gmail is ... when a message is deleted on the Pre, it will delete from Gmail. If you change this setting (Preferences & Accounts; Gmail; Default Folders) to have "Trash" on the Pre set to "All Mail" on Gmail, it will remove the message from your "in box" but leave it on the Gmail server in your All Mail folder (which is also accessible on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    thanks! was just coming back to post -->

POP won't work with Pre/gmail (won't let me signin auto or manuel) and was left with just that problem - deleting off Pre in IMAP deleted off server.
    Will try your rerouting idea.
    All have been very helpful here
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I actually have Gmail, Comcast and a Live office mail on my phone. Gmail works great, Comcast and Live office don't. Do you have any suggestions for me? Comcast, when I delete the mail on my phone, it does NOT delete them on my computer. Even with the "sync deleted emails" ON.

With my Live office email, I can get them on my phone, and they come in fine. BUT, when I get on my computer and check my mail in outlook to bring up one of the emails, it brings all of them in fine, but when I go back to my phone to that same email its GONE!!! How does this happen? I have tried to fix this problem...no luck. Please help, thanks
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I've also created another label in gmail that I move things too when I want them out of the inbox but want to follow up on them later. Between that and setting the trash folder as 'All Mail', I'm good to go until the Pre actually has an 'archive' button in the mail client.
    Did you check your gmail trash folder on your desktop for the emails that were deleted? My trash folder has more than 75 deleted emails dating back to June.