1.    #1  
    I may be confused, but I can't seem to figure out how things sync on the Pre. Basically one I've done is the following:

1) Sync outlook to gmail via Companionlink.
    2) sync Pre to gmail
    3) modified a bunch of contacts on my Pre to fix errors/changes/duplicates

The result is once I did number 3 the phone shows the changes, but gmail is never sync'd to it. I even tried making my default in contacts as my gmail account rather than the Palm Profile like I had it before, but that doesn't seem to sync it either. Is there a way to specifically select what account the changes should go to or am i missing something else?

Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    no one had a problem with this?
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Those contacts you are changing are probably set to sync with Palm Profile. Click on edit for one of those contacts and look at what the icon in the upper left is.

If the contacts that won't sync have the google icon then I would delete the account through contacts preferences and accounts and then add it again.

If the contacts have the Palm Profile icon then you will probably need to edit your contacts through gmail, make sure they are all there, then delete gmail from your contacts accounts. Delete all the contacts that are still on the phone, making sure they are in your gmail contacts, then add gmail back to contacts accounts, make sure its default, then sync.

When you make gmail the default, only newly added contacts sync to it. Old contacts will still sync to Palm Profile. That's why you need to start fresh when you add gmail.
    Last edited by McPostal; 08/11/2009 at 02:03 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by McPostal View Post
    Those contacts you are changing are probably set to sync with Palm Profile. Click on edit for one of those contacts and look at what the icon in the upper left is.

If the contacts that won't sync have the google icon then I would delete the account through contacts preferences and accounts and then add it again.

If the contacts have the Palm Profile icon then you will probably need to edit your contacts through gmail, make sure they are all there, then delete gmail from your contacts accounts. Delete all the contacts that are still on the phone, making sure they are in your gmail contacts, then add gmail back to contacts accounts, make sure its default, then sync.

When you make gmail the default, only newly added contacts sync to it. Old contacts will still sync to Palm Profile. That's why you need to start fresh when you add gmail.

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll take a look at that when I get home, but it just sounds ridiculously annoying. Why wouldn't they just let you sync whatever you have on your phone with gmail? Sounds like by your description that I'm gonna have to add all the changes onto gmail every time I want to make a change that syncs between both, is that right? If not, what is the correct way to make a change to my phone contacts and be sure it'll sync with gmail?
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Once you get the contacts syncing from gmail, when you change one of those contacts on the phone it will change in gmail too. I had this problem with the contacts that were transferred from my old phone. I ended up having to manually type them into gmail, delete them from the phone, then sync them back from gmail. Now it's working like it's supposed to.

Yes it is ridiculously annoying. I don't understand why all your contacts can't sync to both gmail and palm profile.