1.    #1  
    Why is it that the Pre can retrieve Yahoo mail through the email app even though I don't pay for Yahoo Mail Plus? If I were to set my Gmail (the website version) to get mail from my Yahoo account, it is denied since I don't pay for POP3 access.

Is Palm doing some sort of trickery to get around that (like it did with iTunes)? Or did they strike some sort of deal with Yahoo to allow their acconts to be accessed via a Pre?
    Follow Me On

If you check the settings for your yahoo accounts, you'll see that it's going through Palm's servers. I believe Palm is actually polling your yahoo accounts for you so you can have indirect access to your accounts without paying for pop3 access. I believe this is how the iPhone etc also works...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    My Pre is accessing a Yahoo IMAP server via Palm. All my folders are showing up so it's not just POP3 access.
    It's no trickery by Palm. A Windows Mobile device like my HTC Touch Pro and Pre WebOS treats your free, non pop Yahoo account as a IMAP account. So both these OS's retrieve your non pop Yahoo email.

OK....clearly there is some kind of trickery going on, as Yahoo clearly doesn't have IMAP, yet when you look at settings for Yahoo accounts, it shows as imap with an imap access address. Emails arrive appropriately and things work fine, including the deletion of emails in the account when they are deleted on the phone...everything except for one thing....reading emails on the device does not mark them as read in the account. ???
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    OK....clearly there is some kind of trickery going on, as Yahoo clearly doesn't have IMAP, yet when you look at settings for Yahoo accounts, it shows as imap with an imap access address. Emails arrive appropriately and things work fine, including the deletion of emails in the account when they are deleted on the phone...everything except for one thing....reading emails on the device does not mark them as read in the account. ???
    mine shows them as 'Read' on the web once they are delivered to my phone. i have yahoo small business mail (POP3) though, not sure if that makes a difference.

Edit:
    patiently waiting for Yahoo synergy
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Actually there has been an unofficial IMAP access to yahoo for some time:

* IMAP: imap.next.mail.yahoo.com
    * SMTP: smtp.next.mail.yahoo.com

I had been using these on my Treo 800w for some time before so there has been imap access to yahoo mail....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Wasnt Yahoo supposed to join Synergy by now?