Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else experience something similar?


    Current setup:

    No Homebrew Apps Installed
    POP3 Connection to Gmail
    Get E-Mail from the Last 3 Days
    Sync Deleted Emails is OFF
    Sync every half hour

    Steps to possibly recreate the issue:

    1. Email icon pops up on bottom of screen.
    2. Click the blank area to expand the notification.
    3. DO NOT click on the right side which opens up that email itself.
    Instead tap on the Gmail icon on the left, which opens up your inbox.
    4. Once in your inbox just wait, mine usually auto refreshes and when it does it deletes the emails (it skips sending to trash). On the rare occasion it doesnt refresh itself, the act of hitting the refresh button deletes the emails.
    Last edited by cruelpupet; 08/05/2009 at 12:50 PM.
  2. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #2  
    Out of curiosity, why POP3 connection?

    I'm using IMAP, which is what it automatically setup for me, and it works fine. Did you force it to use POP3? If so, why?
  3. Habious's Avatar
    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    #3  
    Any chance you have something like Outlook running on your home machine? Checking your Gmail regularly for messages, pulling them down, and deleting them from the server?

    I have my mom's POP3 email setup on my Pre (she asked me to keep an eye on her incoming e-mails). I know when she reads them because, as soon as she opens up Thunderbird, it downloads the messages and deletes them from the server...and they magically disappear from my Pre.
  4.    #4  
    Pop 3 because it's what Im used to using, and i prefer to have the whole email downloaded.

    Gmail itself is set to not allow the messages to be deleted when downloaded via pop3, as well as the phone has that option turned off.

    I dont use outlook, just Gmail's webclient.
  5. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #5  
    Well, given that, I can't say that I've had this happen. Unless there's something else out there that's deleting (or moving to another folder) read messages (you may want to double check your Gmail rules just to make sure there's nothing like this), I can't think of anything.

    I will say that I've not experienced these problems when using IMAP. Since you're not using any other clients, it really shouldn't matter to you. In fact, IMAP offers several advantages. It sounds like you've found, however, that IMAP doesn't download the whole e-mail. I've not experienced this... I've used IMAP to Google both on my Blackberry and my Pre and, at least for me, has worked a lot better than POP3.

    In other words, unless you have a strong reason not to, I'd give it a try just to see if that solves the problem (without creating new ones, of course).
  6.    #6  
    Its not that I found IMAP to not download the whole email, I was just pretty sure that was part of the mail spec.

    In Gmail there are no rules set, and everything is fine on the account. The only place the email disappears from is the phone.

    Im not against IMAP, but Id rather figure out if this is a problem or a fluke so Palm can fix it properly. Anyone care to setup pop on their phone as mentioned above and see if ti happens to them too?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet View Post
    Anyone care to setup pop on their phone as mentioned above and see if ti happens to them too?

    Anyone?
    Anyone?
    Bueller?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet View Post
    Pop 3 because it's what Im used to using, and i prefer to have the whole email downloaded.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the whole E-mail". Are you for some reason under the impression that only a portion of the message gets downloaded when using IMAP? If so, I can assure you that that's not the case. IMAP keeps your local client(s) synchronized with the server, whereas POP expects a copy on one to be accompanied by a deletion on the other. Either way, each message does get downloaded in its entirety to the client.

    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet View Post
    Gmail itself is set to not allow the messages to be deleted when downloaded via pop3, as well as the phone has that option turned off.
    My guess is that's your problem right there. Somewhere some signals are getting crossed. When you download an E-mail via POP, the client expects that the message will have been deleted from the server during the process. Since you've got the Gmail server overriding that deletion, I'm guessing that the Pre is simply getting confused the next time it syncs.

    As soon as the Pre discovers that the message is still on the server, something goes haywire. One copy or the other has to go. And since the server copy is protected against deletion by the client, per your Gmail settings, and the since client copy has no such protection, it's the client copy that gets the boot. By default, multiple copies aren't really supposed to exist with POP.

    It's also possible that the cause might be in the fact that one of the inherent properties of POP is that only one client can talk to the server at a time. If you've got any other mail client dialed into your Gmail account at the same time as your Pre, one could theoretically cause the other to behave in unexpected ways.

    Are these behaviors bugs or a features? It depends on how you look at it. I'm sure people would argue passionately from both sides. Either way, POP is ancient, and has been obsolete for many years now. Switch to IMAP, and the problem will go away.
    Last edited by ABBlockhead; 08/06/2009 at 05:04 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the whole E-mail". Are you for some reason under the impression that only a portion of the message gets downloaded when using IMAP? If so, I can assure you that that's not the case. IMAP keeps your local client(s) synchronized with the server, whereas POP expects a copy on one to be accompanied by a deletion on the other. Either way, each message does get downloaded in its entirety to the client.
    I was under the impression that IMAP just downloads a snippet of the message (initially, and downloads the rest when its opened). Granted its been 8 years since I ran a mail server.



    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    My guess is that's your problem right there. Somewhere some signals are getting crossed. When you download an E-mail via POP, the client expects that the message will have been deleted from the server during the process. Since you've got the Gmail server overriding that deletion, I'm guessing that the Pre is simply getting confused the next time it syncs.
    Doubtful, as the phone is not attempting to delete from the server. Or at least it is set not to.

    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    As soon as the Pre discovers that the message is still on the server, something goes haywire. One copy or the other has to go. And since the server copy is protected against deletion by the client, per your Gmail settings, and the since client copy has no such protection, it's the client copy that gets the boot. By default, multiple copies aren't really supposed to exist with POP.
    POP has never had an issue leaving a copy on the server. It's been an option for as long as I can remember.

    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    It's also possible that the cause might be in the fact that one of the inherent properties of POP is that only one client can talk to the server at a time. If you've got any other mail client dialed into your Gmail account at the same time as your Pre, one could theoretically cause the other to behave in unexpected ways.
    If all messages are left on the server, pop doesnt have issues with multiple clients, and if they are removed after download, then the clients connecting just wont have all of the messages.

    Either way, I only have my phone as a client.

    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    Are these behaviors bugs or a features? It depends on how you look at it. I'm sure people would argue passionately from both sides. Either way, POP is ancient, and has been obsolete for many years now. Switch to IMAP, and the problem will go away.
    It's most definitely a bug with WebOS, and its repeatable (for me)...but the question is, is this a reproducible bug?

    For that to be answered I just need someone here temporarily setup their Gmail Account as POP3
  10. dpc111's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #10  
    I understand what the OP is complaining about. I have basically the same issue. My company uses gmail. I have pop enabled. I use outlook on my laptop and have it configured for pop. I also have my Pre set up for pop, manual download for email. Today, I shut of outlook and went out. When I checked my email on my Pre, it went out and identified that I had mail and listed it. Once I read the email, the next time I checked for new mail, the previous email disappeared. Later when I started up outlook, any email that was received on my Pre, did not get pulled down to outlook and was no longer on my Pre. I checked gmail via the web and the email was there in my inbox. What a pain. It basically relegates my Pre as usless to me for business. Not blaming the Pre necessarily but the combination just doesn't seem to play. And the calendar, well just forget about that.

    Dave
  11. pico23's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #11  
    IMAP is way better, it offers 2 way true sync and allows you to view/DL emails on multiple machines.

    Since the Pre and google offer IMAP, i'd recommend switching from POP.
  12. arhoolie's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #12  
    I, too, have been having the same problem with retrieving POP email from GMAIL on the Pre. I get the message notifications, but retrieval seem to actually delete them, though I can read/reply to messages by directly logging into GMAIL from a browser like Firefox.

    I'm currently experimenting with IMAP but I can't seem to get that going at all, either on my Pre or in Thunderbird. In the latter's case, it doesn't seem to get me logged into GMAIL at all. I'm wondering if perhaps converting my GMAIL account from POP to IMAP means I have to wait awhile for the changes to take effect.

    On the Pre, I simply deleted the GMAIL (POP) account and recreated it as an IMAP one. I can't get the Pre to connect to GMAIL either.
  13. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #13  
    You need to tell Gmail to turn on iMap. From gmail.com: Settings, Forwarded and POP/IMAP, Enable IMAP.
  14. arhoolie's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #14  
    IMAP's working fine for me now. It apparently took Google's server's a bit of time to notice the change from POP to IMAP. But now, IMAP works fine on the Pre and all's well.
    Last edited by arhoolie; 08/23/2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: corrected typo
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by arhoolie View Post
    I, too, have been having the same problem with retrieving POP email from GMAIL on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc111 View Post
    I have basically the same issue.
    Thank you both!!!

    I'm not going crazy.
  16. #16  
    I had huge problems with gmail's pop service (yahoo's as well) on my laptop and workstation at work -- imap was not allowed before. I don't think it is a standard implementation of pop. I always had to go into gmails settings with a web browser and reset it to "enable pop for all mail". It was always getting stuck and if I downloaded it at work I could not get a copy on the laptop. Also make sure you don't have the archive option set, this removes it from the inbox. My work finally allowed imap so I don't have to pay yahoo anymore and gmail's Imap has not given me any problems.

    Anyway you might try resetting that pop setting, it worked for me for a while.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

    Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet View Post
    Thank you both!!!

    I'm not going crazy.
    No, but you are all a little crazy to be using POP3.
  18. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
    IMAP is way better, it offers 2 way true sync and allows you to view/DL emails on multiple machines.

    Since the Pre and google offer IMAP, i'd recommend switching from POP.
    IMO, that is not a solution. I get every day over 100 emails and I need to address them ASAP, while having them removed from server, when replied (POP). Plus, I never liked how the folders are displayed in IMAP. If you know a way to get rid of the [Gmail] folder and display all dirs like POP, I will switch to IMAP.

    Quote Originally Posted by dpc111 View Post
    I understand what the OP is complaining about. I have basically the same issue. My company uses gmail. I have pop enabled. I use outlook on my laptop and have it configured for pop. I also have my Pre set up for pop, manual download for email. Today, I shut of outlook and went out. When I checked my email on my Pre, it went out and identified that I had mail and listed it. Once I read the email, the next time I checked for new mail, the previous email disappeared. Later when I started up outlook, any email that was received on my Pre, did not get pulled down to outlook and was no longer on my Pre. I checked gmail via the web and the email was there in my inbox. What a pain. It basically relegates my Pre as usless to me for business. Not blaming the Pre necessarily but the combination just doesn't seem to play. And the calendar, well just forget about that.

    Dave
    I have the same setup/issues, also. Is there a way to fix the issue, without using IMAP?
    I used this system on my Blackberry for years and never had an issue with POP.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    IMO, that is not a solution. I get every day over 100 emails and I need to address them ASAP, while having them removed from server, when replied (POP).
    Why do you want the emails removed from the server before you delete them.
  20. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    #20  
    I don't, Pre should not delete them from server until I send them to trash, like any POP application. Right now, it does that and also deletes the emails from the phone... making me lose everything.

    EDIT: I see now what is wrong. If I send an email to my Pre, it will get it and I can read it fine. If I close the window and open it again, it will resync and delete all existing mail into all folders. If it does not resync, the mail will stay into my Pre. The problem is that Pre will resync by default when you open a mail box. Even if you set it on manual sync, it will erase all existing mail, when you resync again, at your convenience. No resync, no new emails. Resync, all emails deleted. Nice.

    For now, I don't have the choice but to use IMAP.
    Last edited by T3CK; 09/01/2009 at 11:35 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions