1.    #1  
    So when I got my Pre, they tried to sync my Treo 700p contacts and instead it just dumped about 200 names with phone #s and email, addresses into my contact list with no real organization. These unfortunately were also put in my Palm Profile so now when I restore the phone for example, they all return.

Now finally comfortable with the phone I've begun the chore of figuring out how to organize and update these. There's isn't standalone software that directly accesses this list of baseline contacts (again, not from Google, Exchange, etc). It seems the only way to manage and deal with them is on an individual basis which would seem to be laborious and rather annoying.

Is this truly the only option to preserve some of them? Or is there an external (software on computer) way to edit them kind of like the old Palm Desktop?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    If you aren't going to be using the Google/Exchange/Cloud method of syncing, then you'll probably want to download one of the two desktop syncing programs out there.

First there is Chapura Pocket Mirror for Windows Palm Pre Outlook Sync Solution - PocketMirror Standard by Chapura (looks like Chapura is also working on something to sync with the Palm Desktop called Echo, but that's not out yet)

Second there is Mark/Space The Missing Sync for Mac
    Keep your life in sync with The Missing Sync for Palm Pre from MarkSpace

For either, you'll need to download the proper app out of the App catalog, and then download the PC version onto your computer at home.

Hope that helps! I've never used either (since I'm going the google cloud route), but others have used them and they seem to work well.
  3.    #3  
    Ok thanks. Followup question however. I typed in a new contact both in my Google email account, as well as my Outlook account just as a test to see if it was "pushed" into my phone. Thus far, neither new contact has sync'd to the phone. Why is this? I thought with gmail it was an automatic from the "cloud" sync.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I think it only syncs once a day. It does happen automatically, but not instantly. You can always go into your contacts app, click the menu in the upper left and choose Preferences and Accounts. From there, scroll to the bottom and click "Sync Now" which will force a sync right away.