1.    #1  
    I have noticed a few different threads with people who have mentioned using Songbird as a media player and syncing with the pre, so I wanted to find out how many people are using it and how you use it with respect to the pre.

For those that don't know, Songbird is an open source media player based on mozilla, the same as firefox. The power of this player is in its add ons and development community. you can basically make it work like any of the other players.

So, who here is using this software, how are you using it, and how do you like it.

I'm currently using the folder sync add on to sync with the pre. I've also tried ipod addon and it worked well, but I didn't get any album art on the pre.
    I have songbird. I use for the woman's ipod nano and it works fantastic. I only tried it with the pre once in media sync and I had the same issue of no album art, so I just decided to go with the drag and drop in USB mode technique to put my music/videos on the pre.
  3.    #3  
    Have you tried using the folder sync add on? you can use to export a playlist to an external folder and then copy the folder over using drag and drop... Assuming you use playlists.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I use the Folder Sync add-on. At the push of a button it syncs any and all playlists of my choosing over to the Music directory on the Pre. You can customize how the tracks are copied, and the folder structure if you want one. As long as you embed the album art in the metadata, it'll show up on the Pre. (iTunes uses a seperate database for album art, which is why the ipod sync addon won't show it.)
  5.    #5  
    Do you know if there is a way to sync play counts back using this method? It appears that this is only a one way sync. Btw, I read that the next version will have usb sync capabilities. I think that version is currently in beta.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver View Post
    Do you know if there is a way to sync play counts back using this method? It appears that this is only a one way sync. Btw, I read that the next version will have usb sync capabilities. I think that version is currently in beta.
    It is currently only a one-way sync. It just dumps files from your PC onto your Pre. Now that I think about it, does the Pre even record play count back to the file? I for one wish I could rate songs on my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver View Post
    Have you tried using the folder sync add on? you can use to export a playlist to an external folder and then copy the folder over using drag and drop... Assuming you use playlists.
    No I haven't. I don't use playlists in general though. I usually just put full albums on the pre and and plug it in the car and hit shuffle.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    It is currently only a one-way sync. It just dumps files from your PC onto your Pre. Now that I think about it, does the Pre even record play count back to the file? I for one wish I could rate songs on my Pre.
    Yeah, that's what i had in mind about getting the play counts back. I will probably check to see if adding songs through the ipod add on uses 2 way syncing, but i doubt the folder sync would. If the ipod sync works, i may look into how to get the album art to transfer using that method.

Any idea on if there is a standard way to write play count info? If it is device to player specific, i would say we are hosed. Otherwise, there may be a tag from the id3 info that could be read.