Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've seen this myself. I could not get the Pre and Gmail to agree on a few recurring events that had a few exceptions in them. I deleted all and re-entered via Gmail only. Now I only enter and edit recurring events through Gmail. That was with 1.1, it may have been fixed since, I didn't check. I don't trust the Pre for this stuff.

Aside from that I've seen events entered on the Pre disappear completely, which is the worst thing that can happen.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Google calendar and the Pre are not ready for prime time. It's too bad too. And I now think the problem is with Google.
    I'm curious, what specifically makes you think this is a Google problem? (Not arguing here, just want to see if I can track this one down).
    My girlfriend is having huge issues with this, as she has recurring appointments made on Gcal that are then given exceptions, but these exceptions aren't synced to her Pre and the false appointments are driving her nuts.
  4.    #24  
    Well, I tried all the fixes and nada, still having issues.
    It simply needs to be addressed - and I think it should be a priority for Palm, rather than itunes. :-)
    Here is my problem with the Pre and Google calendar.

I have to have re-occurring calendar appointments because of all the activities my children and I am involved in. But this causes my phone to go offline and not be functional at all. So I have to have my appointments only re-occurring for a month or two at a time... and then re-enter them all again. Big thumbs down on this one.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhuff View Post
    I had this problem until I changed my setting for accepting invitations from No to one of the Yes options. It's on the the first page (general) of Google Calendar settings.

jimhuff posted this and it may be helpful: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...ml#post1967182
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I have tried many different sync methods and Pocket Mirror is for me...I posted the following in another thread..."I totally agree. I back up my contacts and appointments regularly like cgardner (I use a separate CSV file for both on my desktop). I have tried syncing many ways between Google Calendar, Outlook & Pre (Google Calendar Sync, gSyncit, Companion Link, and Chapura PocketMirror) and I no longer trust the cloud for important stuff so I just use my Google Calendar for Sports, etc. I have settled on Chapura PocketMirror but I have to sync at home via Wi-Fi, which works great for me, is very reliable and I never lose any appointments or contacts and it even syncs notes and soon Tasks! I am not a "road warrior" traveling salesman. I work 1/2 the time from a home office and I was losing appointments syncing with Google (Android2 conspiracy?), although for the 1st month or 2 (I got my Pre the 1st week in June when it came out) syncing with Google worked like a charm until I, and many others, started to notice (Android2 release coincidence?) that syncing was not working right...so I eventually switched to Chapura...which I used on my old Palm Vx… and LIFE IS GOOD! p.s. Everyone who has not learned by now to back up data is living in a dream world and stop complaining about having to pay for sync software. You just have to bite the bullet if you want to sync well!"
    Last edited by MrPre; 12/03/2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: typo
    I am also a business owner and the Pre is proving to be incredibly frustrating. I went from a BB Bold to this and am ready to throw it out the window. It's one thing after another with the calendar sync to Google. This time around, whenever I delete a recurring appointment on the Google calendar web site, it does not delete it on the phone but moves it to the "Unknown" calendar category. I'm also having all kinds of old phantom appointments show up, the time is constantly off, etc....it never ends with this thing. So no, you aren't alone!
    So, what is most similar to the very familiar and loved (by me) Palm desktop? Would you suggest Pocket Mirror, Echo or, from another company, Missing Sync.

Any others out there that one would suggest?

Thanks!

NurseLisa
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    If you want my opinion (and I LOVE Palm Desktop), I finally had to give it up due to all the calendar issues on the Pre with Google Calendar and with the CL software I used to sync (I believe other sync software solutions also have the same issues). I now strictly use Google Calendar in a web browser to manage my calendar, and have never looked back since. Things work so much better now for my calendar data, but do note that there are still Pre issues with recurring events, all day events, etc. that still exist.

So if you want my opinion, let go of Palm Desktop and use Google Calendar and Google Contacts in a browser to manage all of this data, and just let the Pre sync it all up for you. I do not recommend changing or deleting any calendar events on the Pre itself (especially recurring events) unless you have to. You will have far less issues if you manage these events within Google Calendar itself.

To make it even nicer/easier with the above approach, download and install Google Chrome's browser and create "application shortcuts" (an option in Chrome) for Google Calendar, Google Contacts, and Google Tasks (note that Tasks does not sync at all with Palm Desktop, unless you want them stored in your Calendar which I don't like to do). Then create desktop shortcuts to these same items (they each have their own icon, etc.) and open them all up in separate windows on your computer. I find this works best for me, an ex-Palm Desktop user (and I've tried other solutions to no avail...). Good Luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    If you want my opinion (and I LOVE Palm Desktop), I finally had to give it up due to all the calendar issues on the Pre with Google Calendar and with the CL software I used to sync (I believe other sync software solutions also have the same issues). I now strictly use Google Calendar in a web browser to manage my calendar, and have never looked back since. Things work so much better now for my calendar data, but do note that there are still Pre issues with recurring events, all day events, etc. that still exist.

So if you want my opinion, let go of Palm Desktop and use Google Calendar and Google Contacts in a browser to manage all of this data, and just let the Pre sync it all up for you. I do not recommend changing or deleting any calendar events on the Pre itself (especially recurring events) unless you have to. You will have far less issues if you manage these events within Google Calendar itself.

To make it even nicer/easier with the above approach, download and install Google Chrome's browser and create "application shortcuts" (an option in Chrome) for Google Calendar, Google Contacts, and Google Tasks (note that Tasks does not sync at all with Palm Desktop, unless you want them stored in your Calendar which I don't like to do). Then create desktop shortcuts to these same items (they each have their own icon, etc.) and open them all up in separate windows on your computer. I find this works best for me, an ex-Palm Desktop user (and I've tried other solutions to no avail...). Good Luck.
    Thank you. I guess I'm just too old school, and don't want to change. I may have to, maybe I'll just use google for awhile and if I don't like it, I can always buy something else. -sigh-.

Thanks for the tips on downloading shortcuts to the desktop. That may make it easier.

Lisa

Interestingly, this is almost exactly what I do. I hadn't thought about it this way until I read what you do, but it is, with a few exceptions:

I use the Chrome based "application" on my desktop to manage my web based calendars (I have several calendars in Google). I don't think I've ever entered or deleted recurring events on the Pre (other than a couple of times as a result of this thread to test functionality).

Because my GroupWise system at work is an older system (no modern standardized calendars like the newer GroupWise) and blocked from anything but web access; I do use Companion Link's Google Sync to keep my work calendar and work contacts sync'd between the Pre and my work GroupWise system (two way Pre <-> Google <-> GroupWise. This works flawlessly for me.

I enter and delete individual events frequently on the Pre, but never recurring events (except for the aforementioned tests).

I was a light to moderate "tasks" users with my Treo, but am willing to wait for a good tasks system for the Pre, one with reminders and alerts. I was excited when I found an Android compatible version of the Google Tasks that could be used on the Pre, then found how limited Google Tasks is, so I'm in holding mode for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NurseLisa View Post
    Thank you. I guess I'm just too old school, and don't want to change. I may have to, maybe I'll just use google for awhile and if I don't like it, I can always buy something else. -sigh-.

Thanks for the tips on downloading shortcuts to the desktop. That may make it easier.

Lisa
    You will almost feel you're using a dedicated desktop application when you used the dedicated Chrome applications.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    For Tasks, I use Google Tasks for work mostly, and the built-in Pre Tasks app for shopping lists (groceries, etc.).

For Memos, I use SplashNotes (the original Palm OS version 1.1) and I have all my notes stored on Dropbox (the free file syncing utility...you get 2gb of free storage to share on multiple PCs). By doing it this way I can use SplashNotes at home, work and on my portable personal laptop...all sharing/using the same notes database stored and sync'd on Dropbox. So I can make changes on any of my machines that I have setup and the other machines will automatically pickup those changes. The bad side about this is that there is no Pre application to show this data (yet!), so what I do is copy and paste my most important notes into Evernote desktop, which has a free Pre application that syncs with Evernote desktop.

Same setup for SplashID (I learned about this trick in some other forum last year). SplashID databases are stored on Dropbox, and all installs of SplashID automatically sync up whenever changes are made on any of your machines. Periodically I export my records and import them into my Pre (until SplashData comes up with a desktop sync solution).

I was hoping I could do this with SplashShopper too, but unfortunately that application doesn't allow you to specify a different folder to store the databases.

So...to replace Palm Desktop (and other key Palm apps), I use the following:

Calendar = Google Calendar (Chrome).
    Contacts = Google Contacts (Chrome).
    Tasks = Google Tasks (Chrome) & the built-in Pre Tasks app (I use both for different purposes).
    Memos = SplashNotes v1.1 (with Dropbox) & Evernote (desktop and Pre application).
    SplashID = SplashID Desktop v5.2 (with Dropbox) & Pre application (with periodic manual export/import).

Oh how I miss the simple Palm Desktop days...
    For Tasks, I use Google Tasks for work mostly, and the built-in Pre Tasks app for shopping lists (groceries, etc.).
    Even though it's $23.50, I'm looking very closely at this Outline Tracker Features . Apparently, the author was a former user of Brainforest for the PalmOS, and was trying to duplicate and add to functionality. From what I've been able to tell, he's included notifications of tasks (which Brainforest didn't have). He said he's working on a "lite" version for evaluation purposes. It looks promising.

Edit - The URL listed above only seems to work correctly (on a PC) using Chrome. It works OK with the Pre's browser, and I suspect with Mac's.
    Last edited by hparsons; 01/14/2010 at 03:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Cool...thanks. That does look very promising as I'm a GTD'er . Looking forward to the Lite version to make sure I really like it due to the cost. It looks like there is no desktop component though I really need a desktop component...I can only do so much on a phone with organizing things, which is why I do the above SplashNotes/Evernote trick.
    I really like the Pre (I have had it for about a month now), but this is the first real disappointment for me.

It is 2010. We have had Calendars on pocketable devices for maybe 15 years now. I remember I got my first Palm Pilot some time in the nineties.

And still we cannot make recurring events synchronize correctly? Sorry, as a business professional I will have tons of recurring meetings, and I will also have lots of exceptions for these. My calendar becomes a mess on the Pre to the point where it is unusable!

Sadly, that's one thing where the combination of MS Exchange Server and Win Mobile (Pocket Outlook) just worked. So does Blackberry.

Palm needs to fix this. Synergy is cool, but it needs to work reliably. I must be able to trust my tools.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12