1.    #1  
    Any Navy or DOD employees figured out a way to access their exchange email (@navy.mil) via the Pre? At work I access my email via the PKI certificate on the DoD Common Access ID Card (CAC Smart Card). Since I don't have access to the PKI certificate on the smartcard, would I need to try to get one from my IT dept?

We have quite a few blackberry users at work accessing their email but I haven't seen anyone with a different platform getting access.

Thanks
    Last edited by ronlongo; 07/25/2009 at 06:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I am in the AF, only our leadership has access to their work email through a work phone.

If you can get the information from your IT people, it should work.
    To Honor With Dignity- USAF Honor Guard
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I'm in the Air Force too and the email is restricted to use on an "issued" phone. Since we know have to encrypt some email, leaders also have to carry a "sled" in order to view their emails. The Air Force won't set-up a personal smartphone for access to work email. I would think the Navy would be the same, but it can't hurt to ask.
  4.    #4  
    I see. Thx. Probably the same for US in the NAVY. There is a web access portal but I believe that's about to go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I see. Thx. Probably the same for US in the NAVY. There is a web access portal but I believe that's about to go away.
    The USAF is ending portal access on 1 Sep without a CAC or .mil domain.
    You might be s.o.l. You're going to need to somehow get a valid certificate to install to the device to get access..even then I'm not sure about the encryption types/level available in webOS.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I would be careful, with the new DoD policies they are clamping down methods of accessing DoD networks. For the Navy it is now illegal to access email via wireless tools outside of NMCI. Soft certs are only on a case-by-case basis and you probably not get access to them unless you are in a senior position. Don't get me wrong I would also like to have that access on my PRE but there are real security concerns and DoD is clamping down and will prosecute anyone modifying security measures.
    Hah. For once, I actually like being in the Army. Not only was I able to get my AKO account transferred over to Exchange, but they even had instructions so that I could set it up to work on my Pre.

Hooah!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Derek,
    We have access to DKO, but had recently received an official message that prevents us from forwarding email to anything but a .mil domain. Is your exchange server a .mil domain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Hah. For once, I actually like being in the Army. Not only was I able to get my AKO account transferred over to Exchange, but they even had instructions so that I could set it up to work on
    They say a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. This is also true with network security. How does it feel with all of your sister services glaring at you with the big hairy eyeball and one hand on the US Army-labeled patch cable now?
    I'm not forwarding to anything... the Army's Advanced Technologies Program actually transferred my AKO (us.army.mil) account to their Exchange server at my request. This week I'll be moved over to the Exchange 2010 servers now that I'm on webOS 1.1.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Thanks, we are being forced to move to NMCI and they restict any forwarding. I gave up my BB when they told me I needed BT CAC card reader and the BT capability would only be available for the CAC card readers and not head sets. Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by settelma View Post
    Thanks, we are being forced to move to NMCI and they restict any forwarding. I gave up my BB when they told me I needed BT CAC card reader and the BT capability would only be available for the CAC card readers and not head sets. Have fun!
    You can't even get POP or IMAP access without CAC verification?
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    No CAC no access for Navy.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by settelma View Post
    I would be careful, with the new DoD policies they are clamping down methods of accessing DoD networks. For the Navy it is now illegal to access email via wireless tools outside of NMCI. Soft certs are only on a case-by-case basis and you probably not get access to them unless you are in a senior position. Don't get me wrong I would also like to have that access on my PRE but there are real security concerns and DoD is clamping down and will prosecute anyone modifying security measures.
    I don't believe that to be the case. Many people have been issued blackberries through NMCI. My officemate just got one last week. That said, I have no plans of trying to bypass any security. If I were to have access it would only be legit. Not interested in getting fired.
  16.    #16  
    That's pretty much correct. Our facility is now fully converted to MNCI and we use CAC verification for everything excep lab access which requires a NAVSEA ID card & passcode.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    The BBs are all migrating CAC access so those who have not received their upgrade soon will.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    That's pretty much correct. Our facility is now fully converted to MNCI and we use CAC verification for everything excep lab access which requires a NAVSEA ID card & passcode.
    Crikey...
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Prerequisites :
    You will need to have a Bluetooth CAC reader and your phones OS must support PKI.
    Depending on the technologies on your phone (if your mail application is able to sync exchange via OWA) you will be able to access your email two ways. The phones browser and the OWA website or the mail application syncing via the OWA link will be the two options.
    1. Install the DOD root certificates on your device. They can be found at dodpki.c3pki.chamb.disa.mil/rootca.html
    2. Pair your Bluetooth CAC reader to the device.
    3. Sync your CAC certificates with the OS certificate store
    4. Access one of the following URLS depending on where your account is hosted to confirm this has worked
    https://webmail.east.nmci.navy.mil East Coast CONUS
    https://webmail.west.nmci.navy.mil West Coast CONUS and Hawaii
    https://webmail.us.nmci.usmc.mil CONUS
    https://webmail.jp.nmci.usmc.mil Japan
    5. If this works you have configured everything correctly and you can attempt to setup your email application to sync Exchange with one of the following links. You will have to be using your CAC reader every time you send and receive
    https://webmail.east.nmci.navy.mil/owa East Coast CONUS
    https://webmail.west.nmci.navy.mil /owa West Coast CONUS and Hawaii
    https://webmail.us.nmci.usmc.mil /owa CONUS
    https://webmail.jp.nmci.usmc.mil /owa Japan