1.    #1  
    A friend of mine who has the Pre, has not set up his email account yet. He told me today he often gets very large attachments related to work, and was wondering if when the email is received, is the attachment dowloaded as the email is received, or does it download when you click to open the attachment? Did that make sense? He thinks that some attachments he receives are just are too large and those can wait to open when he is at his computer. I told him someone in here would know the answer.
    He should be able to open word, excel, and pdf with no problem. I haven't tried the powerpoint yet.
  3.    #3  
    Well....I think he means do large attachments get downloaded along with the email or not until you click on the attachment....
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Well....I think he means do large attachments get downloaded along with the email or not until you click on the attachment....
    I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that is how it works. When I use my work webmail attachments are on the email but not downloaded until you click on them.
    Okay, well I did it and it looks like it's downloading the attachment with the email

I hit refresh and now the circles are spinning up in the right corner

never seen them go this long before. the file was 10MB
    Yep, it downloaded it. It's an mp3 and it's ready to play as soon as I clicked on the email.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks.....I'll let him know that if a large attachment is on the email, it's coming through whether he really wants it or not on his phone....he just doesn't have to, obviously, open the attachement. Thanks for the input!
    I've found that you have to click on the attachment to load it and then click to open it, which is what your friend wants.
    Yeah, I miss the functionality of my third-party Treo e-mail app that let me set how much to download by default, with the option of downloading more after I opened the "cover letter" and saw what it was. Hoping for some good third party e-mail apps shortly.