1.    #1  
    I know there are a lot of EAS questions written already, but this relates specifically to the 1.1 update and its ability to allow the incoming mail server to be an ip address.

Basically, my IT guy tells me to point my mail server to mail.companyname.com/exchange, but that points to an ip addres. I called palm, and they told me I had to put the IP address as the incoming mail server. However, the Certificate given to me by my IT guy has the common name as webmail.companyname.com.

No matter which one I use as the incoming mail server, I get "the server's security certificate is invalid, or your date and time is set incorrectly" I think if I can have the certificate have its common name be mail.companyname.com/exchange or the ip address, it would work. In fact, while on the phone with Palm today, they told me to get a new certificate with the IP address as its common name. But, my IT person said "Mail server certificates always point to fully qualified domains. IP addresses can change and cannot be controlled. You have to install our certificate on the phone for email to work. You need to copy the attached certificate [which I've installed] onto the phone and install it. You can access webmail from the address: https://mail.companyname.com/exchange. FYI - webmail.companyname.com is the common name of the certificate, but he certificate is bound to mail.companyname.com."

Any ideas. I know it's kind of specific, but I've done all the research I can, and I have no idea how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I had the same issue and had to change the certificate to have the common name as the IP address of the server. I couldn't find any other way to get it to work.

This worked fine before the 1.1 update though so they've clearly added some sort of extra checking.
    Simplest solution is to tell your IT guys the problem and have him create a DNS alias record (cname) of webmail.yourcompanyname.com which points to mail.yourcomp.com to match what is in the certificate. This takes 5 seconds. He will also need to make sure the web server that is running EAS services accepts requests for webmail.yourcompany.com. This whole procedure probably takes less than 10 minutes of his time if he knows what he is doing.

-Scott
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottL View Post
    Simplest solution is to tell your IT guys the problem and have him create a DNS alias record (cname) of webmail.yourcompanyname.com which points to mail.yourcomp.com to match what is in the certificate. This takes 5 seconds. He will also need to make sure the web server that is running EAS services accepts requests for webmail.yourcompany.com. This whole procedure probably takes less than 10 minutes of his time if he knows what he is doing.

-Scott
    Thanks ScottL. I think the problem is that my IT guy doesn't know what he's doing. Anyway to solve this without getting him involved?
    Nothing I can think of off the top of my head other than the old saying.."The squeaky wheel gets the grease." Keep complaining until he can't take it anymore. When it comes down to it, you are his customer.

Good Luck!

-Scott