1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how to setup a gmail account so that when you delete mail from you inbox on your phone it also deletes from the all mail? I'm tired of deleting from my inbox then hunting down the message in my all mail folder to delete it again.

Thanks, if there is another way to accomplish thi I'm all ears.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    When I swipe left to right on the email and remove it from the Pre it also deletes it from my gmail account.
    All mail holds everything. Inbox is just a label. The only way I know to delete it from both at once is to find it in your "all mail" and delete it there.

Gmail's use of labels (as opposed to folders) is great in some ways, and terrible in others. Embrace it, and you may find it useful. But your mail will never look like it used to, and if that's the way you want it to look... too bad.

Having the option of traditional style folders would be nice. Sometimes I don't want to fight with an IMAP client to make things look a certain way. Unfortunately, Google is too busy with its grand scheme, and that important business certainly has very little to do with our preferences.
    I had the same problem. It turns out I had not set my IMAP settings in gmail (the computer version) to include Trash. I have since changed that and then reinstalled gmail on the Pre, and I think it is solved.
    Laissez Faire
    Under email preferences, set Trash to [Gmail]/Trash. When you delete an email on the Pre, it will move to Gmail's Trash and out of All Mail.
    Last edited by Examiner19; 07/23/2009 at 04:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    You also don't have to delet the gmail acct on the Pre and re-add. It will sync up the settings.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1900 View Post
    All mail holds everything. Inbox is just a label. The only way I know to delete it from both at once is to find it in your "all mail" and delete it there.

Gmail's use of labels (as opposed to folders) is great in some ways, and terrible in others. Embrace it, and you may find it useful. But your mail will never look like it used to, and if that's the way you want it to look... too bad.

Having the option of traditional style folders would be nice. Sometimes I don't want to fight with an IMAP client to make things look a certain way. Unfortunately, Google is too busy with its grand scheme, and that important business certainly has very little to do with our preferences.
    I think you got it. But if I delete it from my 'all mail' folder it stays in my inbox still.

Is there a way to do away with the inbox? Its kinda redundant to have an inbox and all mail folder
    if you have your "trash" folder as an option and if you set that as the place for trash on the Pre then when you delete it is gone. If trash is not an option then you have to go to folder settings in gmail on the computer and enable "ttash" for IMAP, You may need to delete and reinstall gmail on the pre and select (gmail)trash for trash but if you do it will work.