1.    #1  
    I'm curious about how big of a deal the formatting issue is for you Pre-owners out there. Also, do you think the upcoming update will address it?

For those that are wondering what I'm talking about, from what I've heard, responding to an e-mail on the Pre results in scrambled (or lost) formatting in the original e-mail. So you get a big block o' text at the bottom of your reply message.

It seems, to me, that an EAS update* solves the "can" part of the Pre being used by businesses, but without the formatting fix, we're still left with the "why" - as in "why SHOULD I use your device on my network, if it's gonna frig up the messages?"

* - I hope I'm referring to that correctly.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    The formatting issue is huge. Basically, it makes using the Pre to reply to emails with threads pretty much impossible. And, the issue isn't limited to Exchange. I get the same issue with some Yahoo messages, leading me to believe it's some rich text and/or HTML email formats that cause a problem.

At this point, I only use my Pre to read and manage email, not to reply. Of course, that seriously limits it from this perspective.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The formatting issue is huge. Basically, it makes using the Pre to reply to emails with threads pretty much impossible. And, the issue isn't limited to Exchange. I get the same issue with some Yahoo messages, leading me to believe it's some rich text and/or HTML email formats that cause a problem.

At this point, I only use my Pre to read and manage email, not to reply. Of course, that seriously limits it from this perspective.
    For me, it's just the HTML-formatted emails that get screwed up. Since most of those that I receive from work aren't HTML it hasn't been a huge problem, but yes, it definitely needs fixing. I can't imagine it not being high on their list of Exchange fixes.
    On the Palm support forum there's a huge thread about it. But all they say in the description for the 1.1 update is that the issue is "being worked" (sic).
    This problem renders the Pre useless for my work e-mail which is one of the primary uses for a smartphone. From what little we have heard, I would guess Palm is bundling all EAS/e-mail updates into webOS v1.1. If true, this is unfortunate. There is a big difference between offering NEW features like the EAS remote wipe and PIN rules versus correcting an EXISTING bug.

Whichever, I hope we have the fix A.S.A.P.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    if you have rooted your pre, there is a fix for this.

Here's the link: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...orward_E-mails
    I hope that it is included in this update. One can only hope. It happens to me every time with my exchange account and only sometimes with my Gmail. I really do hope this is fixed because like others have said, it extremely limits the use of the phone for business users. Not being able to reply to emails from my phone is an extreme annoyance right now. Apparently it is working on the sdk though.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    With seeing how seemingly easy this is to fix, and how annoying it is (people should think I am sitting in front of my computer when I reply), I feel like this should be something that should be fixed in the next update (tomorrow?).

Very Cool!
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    if you have rooted your pre, there is a fix for this.

Here's the link: Fix Broken Formatting for Reply/Forward E-mails - WebOS Internals
    Thanks for this --- any idea how making this change will be affected when the update comes down and the 1.1 update will try to make a very similiar change to this file? I assume the update uses a "diff" of some kind of replace only parts of files.

Is this something that we should wait on 1.1 for or do you think its OK to make this change if we are already rooted?
  10.    #10  
    If there's no copy/paste in e-mails, I guess one couldn't just SELECT ALL prior to replying, and replace the gibberish with the a paste, huh? grr.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-9 View Post
    Thanks for this --- any idea how making this change will be affected when the update comes down and the 1.1 update will try to make a very similiar change to this file? I assume the update uses a "diff" of some kind of replace only parts of files.

Is this something that we should wait on 1.1 for or do you think its OK to make this change if we are already rooted?
    you can make a backup before doing the edits. Than, revert back to the original file before you update to 1.1
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    you can make a backup before doing the edits. Than, revert back to the original file before you update to 1.1
    Yes, I realize that. However, since 1.1 seems to be right around the corner, I'll hold off on the hack until 1.1 is out. Then if 1.1 does not fix the formatting issue, I'll perform the hack and make sure I make the backup to revert before 1.11, 1.12, etc.

So I assume its safe to say that leaving this hack in place when the *upgrade* in question is known to modify the same file -- is probably a bad thing, NO?