Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Of course playlists with 7gb of music, how else do you organize your music? I have several playlists of 10-100 songs that I select among depending on my mood. ("female vocalists" "all of artist X, including the songs listed as X+Y", "stuff I listened to in college", "stuff I've obtained recently", and so forth.)

It didn't "create" playlists in the Music app, it imported them as-is from the iTunes playlists, just as an iPod would. (That way you have a simple clean app with few controls on the gadget, but can set stuff up in a more full-featured environemnt with a keyboard, mouse, and large screen.) Worked perfectly. I hope to keep that functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Of course playlists with 7gb of music, how else do you organize your music? I have several playlists of 10-100 songs that I select among depending on my mood. ("female vocalists" "all of artist X, including the songs listed as X+Y", "stuff I listened to in college", "stuff I've obtained recently", and so forth.)

It didn't "create" playlists in the Music app, it imported them as-is from the iTunes playlists, just as an iPod would. (That way you have a simple clean app with few controls on the gadget, but can set stuff up in a more full-featured environemnt with a keyboard, mouse, and large screen.) Worked perfectly. I hope to keep that functionality.
    Why not create playlists and organize your media on your PC, then drag it right over? It depends on how the Pre handles playlist files... I'll have to look into that. Honestly I only use my phone as a back-up music player. First and foremost, for mobile music needs, I use the iPod 60GB, then, Pandora on my laptop/phone, then maybe the actual music on my phone.

or if I'm in the car, you already know.
    I've been using Yamipod for years. Compact, portable, and free. It's an executable that you can throw on your Pre (or iPod, etc) in USB Drive mode, so it's available to you no matter where you are or what computer you have access to.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Playlists with 7GB max of music? I suppose you could use playlists, assuming the Pre could even use them, but I would just have directories.

When the Pre worked with iTunes, did it create playlist files somewhere in the Music App? If so, you can easily do that still. I don't know what format though.

I have an iPod and I use WinAmp to manage it... I still HATE the way they force my music to be named random characters... just leave the filename the same!

In my car, I just have my 500GB HDD nearly maxed-out with music, and if I want to hear a certain type of music, I search for it, and add it to the current playlist, or make a brand-new one.

I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying the use of iTunes--more of a "not knowing any better," situation, is more likely.
    my thoughts exactly you hit the nail right on the head there
    Jackx87:

THANK YOU!!! I could have sworn I was the only one that hated iTunes. When I got rid of my iPhone the first thing I was HAPPY to do was uninstall that bloated POS software they call iTunes!!

I never understood why Pre users would rather use iTunes when the drag and drop method was the simplest and quickest way.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickonline View Post
    Jack87:

THANK YOU!!! I could have sworn I was the only one that hated iTunes. When I got rid of my iPhone the first thing I was HAPPY to do was uninstall that bloated POS software they call iTunes!!

I never understood why Pre users would rather use iTunes when the drag and drop method was the simplest and quickest way.
    I hated itunes so much after my first month of owning my 80gig ipod awhile back i uninstalled it from my computer and pretty much never loaded new songs on to my ipod. got so damn sick of itunes. anyway few months ago i ended up returning the ipod (thanks to costco's old return policy) and used the money to buy my netbook
    Why not create playlists and organize your media on your PC, then drag it right over? It depends on how the Pre handles playlist files... I'll have to look into that. Honestly I only use my phone as a back-up music player. First and foremost, for mobile music needs, I use the iPod 60GB, then, Pandora on my laptop/phone, then maybe the actual music on my phone.

or if I'm in the car, you already know.
    Because playlists aren't something you can "drag", they are metadata about the files.

So, what I gather from this thread is that for people who don't want any of the features of iTunes beyond the raw ability to move files around, iTunes sucks. Okay, fine, but it's useful for some of us. I played around with Missing Synch, and it does move playlists as well as songs (and perhaps stuff that I don't use, like #times played, rating, etc.) It has an advantage over iTunes in that it drops the files in an obvious play, not in a hidden file. But unlike iTunes, it just lets you sync stuff, it doesn't helpfully tell you how much space you have, etc. I'm debating whether I want to go back the iTunes or keep using Missing Sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Because playlists aren't something you can "drag", they are metadata about the files.

So, what I gather from this thread is that for people who don't want any of the features of iTunes beyond the raw ability to move files around, iTunes sucks. Okay, fine, but it's useful for some of us. I played around with Missing Synch, and it does move playlists as well as songs (and perhaps stuff that I don't use, like #times played, rating, etc.) It has an advantage over iTunes in that it drops the files in an obvious play, not in a hidden file. But unlike iTunes, it just lets you sync stuff, it doesn't helpfully tell you how much space you have, etc. I'm debating whether I want to go back the iTunes or keep using Missing Sync.
    There's no reason why you can't drag playlists. It depends on how you set them up, obviously.

Also, this begs the question, just because iTunes broke sync, can you not still use WinAmp? I preferred that anyways.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Can someone speak to which playlist format actually works on the Pre? I had an .m3u playlist work on the Pre once.

I did drag n drop of files and playlists and only one worked. The format seemed simple when I opened it up in notepad. I had 2 other .m3u playlists that were formatted differently and never showed up on the Pre. I erased all of the files from the Pre and repeated the procedure and none of the playlists showed up this time.

Any ideas on what a working playlist file actually looks like?
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter View Post
    Can someone speak to which playlist format actually works on the Pre? I had an .m3u playlist work on the Pre once.

I did drag n drop of files and playlists and only one worked. The format seemed simple when I opened it up in notepad. I had 2 other .m3u playlists that were formatted differently and never showed up on the Pre. I erased all of the files from the Pre and repeated the procedure and none of the playlists showed up this time.

Any ideas on what a working playlist file actually looks like?
    Good question... you could try using Winamp to manage it, and see what it makes in terms of playlists...
    It's stupid to say that iTunes is crap because YOU don't like it.

A helpful tip: just don't update. It's easy enough to downdate if you already have.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPre1337 View Post
    It's stupid to say that iTunes is crap because YOU don't like it.

A helpful tip: just don't update. It's easy enough to downdate if you already have.
    Fact: iTunes is crap. iTunes is bloatware. Apple uses nefarious methods to get it on your PC. For a while, and maybe even to this day, Apple FORCED you to install iTunes when you wanted Quicktime.

Fact: There are dozens of more-useful alternatives that have the same exact iPod sync functionality--and then some.

Fact: You can just drag your files over--the one thing that MANY iPod owners have wanted for years, and many programs have tried to emulate. They even have custom firmware to allow this sort of thing.

Why would anyone want to be limited to what Steve Jobbs SAYS you should be doing? I like having the freedom of choice.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Not updating could be a security risk to your computer. I like the combination internet radio, movies, and pod cast features that itunes offers, but I now realize that Apple is taking the stance of limiting all the features of their programming to their hardware. I respect their choice, and have chosen to be someone elses customer/user of multimedia services. I think Apple is making the wrong choice to be exclusive with itunes, but this opens up the possibities for programming a better multimedia service program that could become more ubiquitous than itunes.
    Fact: iTunes is crap. iTunes is bloatware. Apple uses nefarious methods to get it on your PC. For a while, and maybe even to this day, Apple FORCED you to install iTunes when you wanted Quicktime.

Fact: There are dozens of more-useful alternatives that have the same exact iPod sync functionality--and then some.

Fact: You can just drag your files over--the one thing that MANY iPod owners have wanted for years, and many programs have tried to emulate. They even have custom firmware to allow this sort of thing.

Why would anyone want to be limited to what Steve Jobbs SAYS you should be doing? I like having the freedom of choice.
    You like having the freedom of choice so respect some people's choice to use iTunes. I like it and am used to it. It gives me all the functionality I need from a media player.
    You like having the freedom of choice so respect some people's choice to use iTunes. I like it and am used to it. It gives me all the functionality I need from a media player.
    How do you log into it remotely and control your computer for a party? How to you stream your collection over the internet with your cell phone? How do you tell iTunes to use your remote control, or to use your PDAphone to manage control your collection from the other room?

I'm glad you like it, but most people are just afraid of change, and don't realize there are much better programs out there that still allow you to use the dumbed-down sync method to manage your libraries.

regular playlists FTW
    How do you log into it remotely and control your computer for a party? How to you stream your collection over the internet with your cell phone? How do you tell iTunes to use your remote control, or to use your PDAphone to manage control your collection from the other room?

I'm glad you like it, but most people are just afraid of change, and don't realize there are much better programs out there that still allow you to use the dumbed-down sync method to manage your libraries.

regular playlists FTW
    I don't need to do any of those things, having that funcionality would be utterly pointless for me. Though, I can remote control iTunes with my iPod touch (or iPhone if I still had it) if I connect them both to the same network.
    I don't need to do any of those things, having that funcionality would be utterly pointless for me. Though, I can remote control iTunes with my iPod touch (or iPhone if I still had it) if I connect them both to the same network.
    ah, but that's a pointless feature, I suppose.

Anyways, you have two options. 1) Keep the old version of iTunes, (which doesn't matter, since they haven't introduced a worthwhile feature in 3 years,) or 2) just use another program--you might like it better.
    ah, but that's a pointless feature, I suppose.

Anyways, you have two options. 1) Keep the old version of iTunes, (which doesn't matter, since they haven't introduced a worthwhile feature in 3 years,) or 2) just use another program--you might like it better.
    Might as well keep the old version. I don't need new features and I don't wanna go through the hassle of porting all my media to another program then getting used to it for no reason.
    Might as well keep the old version. I don't need new features and I don't wanna go through the hassle of porting all my media to another program then getting used to it for no reason.
    What do you mean, 'port?'

Did you actually let iTunes move all your media and rename the files to the weird XADFSDF.mp3 AFDASDFASDF.mp3 etc?

That makes it a PITA to ever use anything else again, unless all your tags are flawless... so yeah, if I were you, I'd stick with the old version...
    Ever since I got this computer I've used iTunes to arrange my music, so it's all stored in iTunes folders.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast