Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I use Lotus Notes for my email and calendar, and I have been trying to find out any info on how to get my Notes synced with my Pre. I just tried out CompanionLink (still in my trial period) and it seems to work nicely for a Notes-->Google-->Pre sync for my calendar, but what about Notes? I have read thru (and posted in) some of the existing forums here, but haven't gotten a firm answer. But then...

I was on the Sprint site and noticed at the bottom that it says: "Email includes use of Sprint Mobile Email, Microsoft Direct Push Technology via Active Sync, VersaMail, IBM Lotus Notes Traveler, or BlackBery Internet Services" .... I was like "What is IBM Lotus Notes Traveler?" I called up Sprint who had no idea about this and they actually transfered me over to Palm directly. After a few phone calls, a 15 minutes wait on hold, and a conference call with Sprint, here is what I found out:

1. To get my Notes Calendar on the Pre, they recommended a 3rd party app like CompanionLink (duh..i knew that already)
    2. Palm said that at the moment, Pre does not support IBM Lotus Notes Traveler and they are not sure why Sprint in advertising this, but...
    3. The Pre does (or rather, will) support this program, but only after it is added to the App Catalog
    4. She has heard and assumes that because Sprint is adding this to their promotion info, that this will be included in an near-future update, but can not guarantee any timing on that

So, while I still don't really know how Notes Traveler will work or if it is even compatable with out Notes servers (I would hope so since they are IBM servers), this does sound promising that there may be an update soon, or at least a new App to support this soon!

Anyone else hear anything?
    Last edited by Audemars02; 07/15/2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Doing a search on "Lotus Notes" would have gotten some of this information.

Lotus Notes / Domino 8.5.1 is going into managed beta soon and is due for release this fall. The version of Lotus Traveler shipping with that release will include limited support of the MS ActiveSync protocol so as to allow syncing with the iPhone. It was demo'd at Lotusphere this past January and the beta version is available for testing at http://greenhouse.lotus.com.

In essence, IBM Lotus did what was necessary to make mail/sync work for iPhone OS 2.0 (w/out a lot of the add'l features OS 3.0 provides) and, from my conversations w/ IBM Lotus management, they are looking to support additional devices/capabilities like the Pre in the future but not with the initial release.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Lotus notes is by far the worst software out there. Anyone that suggests to use it should be kicked in the balls. IBM should also get a swift kicking for releasing a p.o.s.
    Very insightful, Cashen. Thanks for adding so much to the conversation.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I added about as much in this post as IBM adds with lotus notes.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    regarding the hate on lotus notes -- does anyone actually think folks use lotus notes out of choice?

no. of course not.

it's a business requirement, and as such, having fully featured syncing would be greeeat.
    I actually like Lotus Notes. I don't have any issues with it other than the occasional lag, but I think that's our network infrastructure more than it is Notes. I am running 8.5 on my machine at work.

What's so bad about it? Why you hatin?
    I'm going to reply to cashen in the same helpful and incisive spirit as he/she did.

cashen = knob jockey
    I thought I'd revisit this as Notes/Domino 8.5.1 was released yesterday and I now have Traveler up and running in two sites.

1st, email appears to work just fine except when a sender's email address does not include a phrase.

In addition (and this might be big for some of you), the Pre thinks it must use a 4-digit PIN to unlock the device even if I have all security turned off. Odd.

I'll let you know if I find any more oddities, but setup was just as easy as on the Lotus Greenhouse. Thankfully, I can now take a look at what's happening on the back-end as well as on the device.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Gregg,

Keep us posted on your findings. I was going to try this as soon as I get my work servers upgraded to 8.5.1. I was wondering how it was working with the new notes version.
    BUMP.... so Lotus Notes Traveler release in beta for Android just last week... when is it coming to Web OS... PLEASE Palm, hook us up.
    I sure do miss Lotus Notes. For workflow, document mgmt, etc. It was awesome. Now that they support Exchange, I want to get a copy and switch back from Outlook.

Of course, I don't know if it's still as amazing as it was before IBM got their hands on it. But back in the day, it did stuff that wasn't possible on the internet for 10 years after Al Gore invented it...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoD_trentonj View Post
    BUMP.... so Lotus Notes Traveler release in beta for Android just last week... when is it coming to Web OS... PLEASE Palm, hook us up.
    IBM has to do the work, not Palm.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    I just recently setup Traveler on iPhone 4 for our President, and the setup process does seem to require a four digit pin be set, which could be why the Pre is looking for a 4 digit pin, so even though you may have the security feature off(i would just turn it on and set the max time frame to lock), it seems to be forced by the traveler setup, most likely a security feature that is required by server or was implemented by the IT department at Corporate

When I use setup BB's back in the day, we forced the use of a pin to unlock the device.

But if its using MS Active Sync we should be able to use it on the Pre, like how we can now use Hotmail w/ Active Sync on the Pre for push email.

With the iphone setup we had to go a specific site, now im curious if can set it up on my pre- ...gonna request access for Traveler and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I thought I'd revisit this as Notes/Domino 8.5.1 was released yesterday and I now have Traveler up and running in two sites.

1st, email appears to work just fine except when a sender's email address does not include a phrase.

In addition (and this might be big for some of you), the Pre thinks it must use a 4-digit PIN to unlock the device even if I have all security turned off. Odd.

I'll let you know if I find any more oddities, but setup was just as easy as on the Lotus Greenhouse. Thankfully, I can now take a look at what's happening on the back-end as well as on the device.
    The 4-digit pin requirement is there for WebOS 1.x whether the policy is set in Traveler or not. WebOS 2.x correctly adheres to the Traveler pin settings.

And yes...the whole point of this thread is that you can connect to Traveler using the Pre's EAS support and use the exact same settings that you would for an iPhone/iPad.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    so you did get to work then...cause reading i didnt see any indication that it was viable, unless i missed something
    I apologize for not posting for a year and half in this thread.

Here's the rundown....

1. It works, but with some caveats depending on which version of Traveler is being used and which version of WebOS is being used

2. Using WebOS to connect to Traveler is not supported by IBM/Lotus, though they will make best efforts to help a customer via their support channels and you may receive some assistance via the IBM Developerworks forums for Notes/Domino 8.5.x.

3. The Palm GBU team responsible for ActiveSync development, with the help of some outside testers (hmmm....I might even know one or two), tries to make sure that Traveler functionality is not broken for current and future releases of the OS.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi all. I have problems to setup the traveler account in webos 2.1 on my Pre2. The same settings was working on my Pre with webos 1.4.5

I cerate a new Microsoft exchange account and enter the data:

Code:
    eMail: user@de.company.com
    server: https://traverler.emea.company.com:15005/servlet/traveler
    Domän:
    user: user@de.company.com
    password: xxxxxxx
    The webOs 2.1 only response with the error "The security certificate of the server is not valid for this domain"

The ssl certificate of the server is valid and issued for that server. I tried to add company.com to the domain field but get the same result.

Anyone an idea what the problem could be?

Hanspeter
    This is not a Traveler issue per se.

Sounds like your server has a self-signed SSL certificate and it is not installed on your device. Easiest way to add it is to use the web browser to browse to https://traverler.emea.company.com:1...rvlet/traveler or you can export the cert via your PC browser and email it to another address that you have already setup on the device.

You will be prompted to accept the cert. You can then go about setting up your EAS account.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi Gregg,

thanks for the idea, but it is no self singed certificate and I can access the server from the browser without any ssl message.

I expect the problem is the port number. I guess they take everything before the first / as server name. So they check traverler.emea.company.com:15005 with the server name on the certificate.
    I was able to add the greenhouse.lotus.com traveler server without problems. Both have the same traveler version.

HaPe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast