Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    If you use gmail on your domain or google apps: here is a little tip to save you a ton of time setting up your email:

Add your email address to the contacts app first

It sounds counter-intuitive, but it works because the email app tries to be too friendly and merely asks you for your email address first, and if it is @gmail.com it sets the account up as a google mail account. If it is not @gmail.com it defaults to POP and then you have to change a bunch of settings and know the proper gmail IMAP and SMTP servers which is a pain, the even then the phone doesn't "know" that it's a gmail-powered account.

The calendar app on the other hand, forces you to specify what type of account you are adding, so when you choose a google account, and then put in your @yourdomainhere.com address, synergy or whatever knows that it is a gmail-powered domain, and sets everything up (including mail) properly right off the bat.

Palm: if you are reading this, you should add a DNS MX record check for the domain when adding an email account. So when I added my rich@rmbwebs.com account to the email app, the email app should have checked the MX records for rmbwebs.com and should have known to setup the account as a google account instead of only checking if the address ended in "@gmail.com".
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    You can always choose the "Manual Setup" route with your email account. This allows you to enter everything right the first time (a lesson I learned.)

This is how I got my personal Gmail account working. Now I'm looking into GoogleApps for my business and I intend to keep my domain. I am presently using the free trial setup but I can't figure out how to get the email to work through the Pre or Outlook. From what I have read there doesn't seem to be any support for non-Gmail based clients unless you use their "Google Sync for Outlook". That doesn't help me for me Pre however.

Has anybody else gotten GoogleApps to work this way?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    If you use gmail on your domain or google apps: here is a little tip to save you a ton of time setting up your email:

It sounds counter-intuitive, but it works
    rmbwebs, you are absolutely correct.. I currently have 4 google apps for domains working on my pre (and my wife's) that were set up this way. It was incredibly frustrating until I found that little nugget of info.

<OT RANT>
    Don't get me started on google... I've been though a ton of steps dealing with a google account (for groups, etc.) that is using an email address that has been moved to gmail for domains.

Bottom line - If you're already using an email address for a google account (for groups, picasa, etc.) and you intend to move the domain to google to host email, CHANGE THE GOOGLE ACCOUNT TO ANOTHER EMAIL FIRST!. It will save you tons of headaches later.
    </OT RANT>
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post

It sounds counter-intuitive, but it works because the email app tries to be too friendly and merely asks you for your email address first, and if it is @gmail.com it sets the account up as a google mail account. If it is not @gmail.com it defaults to POP and then you have to change a bunch of settings and know the proper gmail IMAP and SMTP servers which is a pain, the even then the phone doesn't "know" that it's a gmail-powered account.

The calendar app on the other hand, forces you to specify what type of account you are adding, so when you choose a google account, and then put in your @yourdomainhere.com address, synergy or whatever knows that it is a gmail-powered domain, and sets everything up (including mail) properly right off the bat.

Palm: if you are reading this, you should add a DNS MX record check for the domain when adding an email account. So when I added my rich@rmbwebs.com account to the email app, the email app should have checked the MX records for rmbwebs.com and should have known to setup the account as a google account instead of only checking if the address ended in "@gmail.com".
    For whatever reason I'm having trouble getting my domain gmail to work. I tried the above and no luck. Also if i set it up with IMPA it works for a while and then it gives me a yellow ! mark and nothing is syncing.

Also my phone loses its internet connection a lot. This is my second phone the frist one a launch phone had the burn in issue but never lost the internet. Now my replacement phone loses the EV / internet connection and has goofey issues with gmail.

Arghhh
    Anyone else having trouble with the contact/calendar sync with Google for Domains? Regular gmail accounts sync contacts/calendar items every few minutes - Google Apps/Domains accounts are lucky to sync once a day! And manual sync does nothing.

Any tips?
    I didn't have any problem setting up domain gmail on my phone.
    yeah this is pretty confusing, although as it is expected to be because it is meant for mostly enterprise use, not just because I choose to put my family emails on a domain and have that use the google applications.

But, I think I got the contacts and mail setup, now I need to figure out how to smoothly migrate my two different gmail accounts, my one contacts, and calendar, and see how that works with having picasa and such. I'm guessing there will be plenty of caveats. any advice?

I'm looking to take and migrate all the different google applications I use to google apps standard edition. whichever ones I can, and then also take and migrate those gmails to . it would seem that there is going to be a lot of synching confusion on the pre when I do this initially, so whatever advice you have would be great. I notice that picasa photo "faces" get synched into contacts or something I'm guessing this is going to be nixed....

first step, whats the best way to migrate from one gmail email account to the google apps one?

interesting article here:
    [url]
    or this
    [url]

using the second link, right now.

Works great, imports labels and everything. Doesn't change the to: address to the new account or respect read/unread though.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 09/13/2009 at 08:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I have a gmail email for many years (@gmail.com) and a new personal email on google app domains (@mydomain.com) that is forwarded to the first one.
    how can I sync my contacts between them? I work with both of them and both are personal. some people are sending emails to @gmail and some are sending to @mydomain.com
    the contacts are located on the primary one (@gmail.com) and many people who are sending to the other one (@mydomain.com) getting spammed.
    I don't want to manually export and import contact each day!

actually I'd like to share my contacts from the main gmail (@gmail.com) for the google app domain email (@mydomain.com).
    I also don't like to use free third party contact sync services like soocial. I'm not sure about the privacy and security. who they are!!? I prefer to use the google services if such service exists.

Thanks.
    Last edited by earmin; 04/11/2012 at 03:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by earmin View Post
    I have a gmail email for many years (@gmail.com) and a new personal email on google app domains (@mydomain.com) that is forwarded to the first one.
    how can I sync my contacts between them? I work with both of them and both are personal. some people are sending emails to @gmail and some are sending to @mydomain.com
    the contacts are located on the primary one (@gmail.com) and many people who are sending to the other one (@mydomain.com) getting spammed.
    I don't want to manually export and import contact each day!

actually I'd like to share my contacts from the main gmail (@gmail.com) for the google app domain email (@mydomain.com).
    I also don't like to use free third party contact sync services like soocial. I'm not sure about the privacy and security. who they are!!? I prefer to use the google services if such service exists.

Thanks.
    What phone are you using? My pre phones had no problem syncing multiple Gmail and Google apps accounts with webOS. I also had no problem with SPAM thanks to Goggle's Postini filtering they provide free.

Only problem I had with contacts related to duplicates, and but thankfully webOS also managed this by merging contacts seamlessly and wow I miss Synergy.

If I remember right...my only problem on webOS was the calendar and it. Losing Sync... Everything else worked perfectly.

All you should have to do is open Contacts and the left menu press and finally accounts adding any and all Gmail and Google apps accounts you want to sync. No syncing software on desktop needed and all available from anywhere.. Sorli...
  10. vba
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reuben.olsen View Post
    Anyone else having trouble with the contact/calendar sync with Google for Domains? Regular gmail accounts sync contacts/calendar items every few minutes - Google Apps/Domains accounts are lucky to sync once a day! And manual sync does nothing.

Any tips?
    We use google apps in the company, and when I have the following experiences:

Google Apps account set up as Google Account
    - sync is slow (Calendar sometimes syncs after hors, Contacts sync is slow as well)
    - with Ubercalendar you can send out meeting requests/invites but it's sent out after several hours (sometimes after the calendar event)

Google Apps account set up as Exchange account
    - no Gtalk
    - sync is fast (like on other platfroms)
    - in my experience it uses less battery

So if you don't use GTalk for messaging it's better to choose exchange set up.