1.    #1  
    Alright,

When I got my Pre back on day 1, I had a problem with the Google sync not working unless I forced an update. After one of the patches, it started working reliably. Now, since 1.0.4, it's back to not working.

I can go days without getting an email notice, even though I check on the computer and I continue to get new emails. Same with calendar. I made some updates yesterday to my Google calendar and the have still not propagated to my phone.

It appears to be an issue on the hardware side. I conclude this because:

1. If I open the mail application and go to the inbox, it forces it to check and will then find new messages.
    2. The last time I did this, when I open the Inbox, there's a rounded grey bar at the top with the inbox label. Tapping this shows the last date of downloads. It's been as much as two days behind, even though new messages have been hitting my account.
    3. My battery life lately has been phenominal. That tells me the phone isn't doing it's 15 minute check like its supposed to.

Life with my Pre was going really well until this started happening again. Anyone else seeing this behavior?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    okay, so i'm having the same issue across ALL of my accounts which includes a pop3, gmail (multiple) and an imap account...it was all good, but now for the past week or so it doesn't work...i know because when i wake up and look at my morning mail, i always have tons of overnight listserv digests coming in and the inbox is always empty - i open the mailbox, and all of a sudden 20 or 30 messages come pouring in...

anybody know the cause?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    GMail is not reliably pushed for me either. Also Google calender reminders are not reliable, and MMS is still not working for my wife and I. I have to reboot our phones to get all the MMS text messages we sent to each other.
    I ALSO have been having this same issue since the MANDATORY update ... I woke up one morning and it self updated on me ... Anyway ... I have 5 different email accounts on my PRE and I can NEVER go a even half a day without getting emails ... So I knew something was wrong when only my gmail account was pushing every so often ... I powered off then back on and needless to say I started getting attacked by notifications ... I happens with my texts messages also ... I would send a pic and the other person would not receive them ... After I power off then back on I would start getting messages about the pic I may have sent a day or 2 ago ... Now I just make it a practice of powering off everyday ... I think it helps ... at least til they fix this issue.
    I have a similar issue where if I leave my Gmail set to 30 min it will work for a while, then over night my messages are not received. If I switched it to as they arrive, it seems to be more reliable. At this point, I think it is software related, not hardware.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy1978 View Post
    I have a similar issue where if I leave my Gmail set to 30 min it will work for a while, then over night my messages are not received. If I switched it to as they arrive, it seems to be more reliable. At this point, I think it is software related, not hardware.

I agree with that much. I should have been more clear. When I said I think the problem is on the hardware side, I meant on the Pre as opposed to a problem on the side of the Google servers.

The other responses about push not working from other services would tend to support this as well. While I appreciate Palm's efforts to move updates on a frequent basis, there does seem to have been a bust introduced in 1.0.4.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Gmail push has been almost 100% reliable for me using the 'as items arrive' option. If you're having problems try removing the E-mail account completely, restart the phone and add the account back. If that doesn't work, a hard reset might fix things...
    I had the same problem for some time. My Google accounts (Gmail and Calendar) stopped syncing until i forced it to, then it would work a while and stop again.

First, set your Gmail to "as items arrive". This is an idle IMAP push and improves battery life. Setting it to 15 minutes or other intervals actually decreases battery life because it checks if there's mail on the server or not.

The one thing i did was remove both accounts, provision them again, then did a soft reset by taking out the battery.

::knocking on wood:: so far so good, both my Gmail and calendar have been working flawlessly since then.

This worked for me and hopefully it can work for you.
  9.    #9  
    I took your suggestions and changed my setting to "as items arrive". All seems to be quite well now. Thanks for the tip!
    Anytime Ed!
    My gmail has been set to "as mail arrives" since day 1 (June 6) and I've never had a problem with notification. Since I receive fewer than 10 emails a day, this setting seems to be the best for my battery life.