1. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Ok, I badly want to get a Pre, but my corporate IT policies only allow blackberries (encrypted data on device, remote wipe, yada yada yada) and I was wondering what solutions people have come up with for this situation?

I guess I can set an automatic rule in Entourage to forward all e-mail to a Yahoo/Gmail account which syncs with the Pre (although replying to the original senders would probably be inconvenient, and the reply won't be coming from my work e-mail account). Are there better (Mac) desktop-based e-mail sync solutions that people have used with the Pre? What about calendar sync?

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Updates are coming in v1.1 that will enable the remainder of the Enterprise security methods. After that time, bug your IT folks. That's my plan anyway. =) My corp only allows BB and WM.... for now.
    If you're in a big company have fun, they probably have more **** to go through than you do bugging them. Granted if you have OWA enabled (you can log onto your mail over the web through https without going through a vpn tunnel all they have to do is pretty much enable it should be as easy as 1,2,3, if you can do that you can probably hook it up anyway, just put in all the credentials and figure out your domain and you should be set. I had OWA on a old college account and was told EAS wasn't enabled and i logged on just fine, works perfectly, they told me only IMAP was supported, (although i might have been talking to the first year IT students working for the help desk).
    for the record pre has remote wipe and all through your palm account which it makes you make. a lot like the mobile me i guess.. but free :-). also it does support eas.. because i work for the university and it is fully functioning for me without any issues now if its a little bit more secure people been have minor issues if thats the case hold off for a little bit and when the new update comes you should be good
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Ok, I badly want to get a Pre, but my corporate IT policies only allow blackberries (encrypted data on device, remote wipe, yada yada yada) and I was wondering what solutions people have come up with for this situation?

I guess I can set an automatic rule in Entourage to forward all e-mail to a Yahoo/Gmail account which syncs with the Pre (although replying to the original senders would probably be inconvenient, and the reply won't be coming from my work e-mail account). Are there better (Mac) desktop-based e-mail sync solutions that people have used with the Pre? What about calendar sync?

Any advice would be appreciated!
    First off Rob- congrats for being a tc member since 99. You are one of the oldest members around!

First note is that beware of bypassing these IT restrictions. This is tantamount to the registry editing caveat for windows mobile- "edit/hack at your own risk and dont blame us if you brick your phone!"

Honestly some companies take their policies very seriosuly and even outline serious consequnce/termination in the handbook for bypassing them. Take a look at what you might be in for before you proceed and never underestimate what your IT department can "see".

The first thing to do is determine what kind of mail server your company has. Most likely Ms exchange or SBS running exchange. Lotus is also a possibility.

If Lotus you are screwed- and may have to resort to forwarding like you describe above.

If exchange- it is definately worth checking to see if EAS is enabled. Many IT groups officially support "blackberry only" because they dont want to be responsible for managing a ton of different devices and the CEO/COO/ other execs "like" their ***** proof BB phone so that is supported by default.

Most IT departments are not against access to apps- what they are against is making their lives more difficult. The best way to check is to go into activesync and see what you can do. First step is to figure out what your potential "domain" might be. You might see this when logging on to the LAN. Sometimes the company name- sometimes "corporate" or something similar. A big company will have multiple domains but the domain you log in on probably has the mail server as well.

If you are lucky enough to have a user/password and known domain you have a shot at EAS working. Give it a go. YOu may have to toggle SSL and a few other thigns but it is possible to figure it out.

If all else fails and you cant get anywhere- see if IT enables POP on the server. All but the most anal will. If so- you can have gmail check it at 15 minute intervals and not have to worry about outlook being open on your desktop. Also- with POP usually comes SMTP which might let you send from your pre with a manual setup.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Our corporate email was simple to get working. Just had to input the https://mail.company.com URL that we use for Outlook Web Access.

I was pleasantly surprised.
    My corporate email is locked down, and can only be accessed externally from company provided and customized Blackberries. I've come to accept it and have been manually entering things into my Treo 700p for the last two years. Yay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().