Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I've got an office calendar, but want my wife to be able to social events from home without jumping through hoops.

So, in theory, I'm thinking I could have iCal, Google, Outlook and the Pre all talk to each other and live in harmony. Before I try, I want to see if it is possible.

Here is the setup...

My wife and I have different login accounts for our iMac.

When she is logged into her account, I'd like her to add events to my calendar on iCal and have that automatically sync with my Google account, while still allowing her to have another calendar that syncs to her separate Google account.

Here is the method I'm hoping will work at the end of the day:
    iCal syncs both ways with my Google account
    Google and Outlook on my work PC (Office 2007) sync both ways
    Google downloads to Outlook on my laptop (Office 2003) - one way sync
    Google syncs with my Palm Pre

A lot of moving parts, so will it work? If I try to add laptop <-> Pre to the mix, am I really asking for problems?
    Sounds like you're a candidate for Mobile Me.......

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I've got all that to work except the iCal part.

we've each got a Google calendar, I can see the wife's on the Pre.
    I use GcalSync to 2-way sync Exchange to Google Calendar that shows up on the Pre. (until I get EAS working on the Pre)

While I can add things to my wife's Gcal on the web I can't seem to do it from the Pre's calendar app...
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    ivhs72 - I'm hoping to avoid the recurring $99 charge for mobile me. But since you suggested it, would it really make a difference in getting everything to sync properly.

AustinTim - We don't have exchange at work, so I need Outlook to talk to Google. And I want iCal in there, so my wife does not have to login and out of Google.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Outlook is the "Front End" to exchange (usually).
    If you're at work, usually there's an MS-Exchange server that you use Outlook to read the emails...

Either way the Google calendar sync will work...
    Sweat,

Here is the roundabout system I use right now:

iCal syncs with Outlook though Plaxo (2 way)
    Outlook syncs with Google calendar (2 way)
    Google syncs with Pre (2 way)

If I add an appointment on iCal, it will filter through to my Pre. If I then change that appointment on my Pre, it will filter all the way back to iCal. Everything in between (Outlook and Google) will all be synced as well. It is a long chain but it totally works. Plaxo has been free for years but they will be charging $50/year starting July 30. It is worth it to me right now since my MS EAS is not yet compatiable with the Pre.
    You can set up iCal to sync with Google Calendar. That's what I do, it's free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    You can set up iCal to sync with Google Calendar. That's what I do, it's free.
    Caitlyn,

How do you do that? I could not figure it out.
    Calgoo should sync iCal and Google as well.

Joe
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbj8448 View Post
    Caitlyn,

How do you do that? I could not figure it out.
    MBJ - Google has instructions on how to sync iCal and Google Calendar. Just do a search for Google and iCal.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    But, back to my original question. Am I asking for trouble if I try to do the following:
    iCal syncs both ways with my Google account
    Google and Outlook on my work PC (Office 2007) sync both ways
    Google downloads to Outlook on my laptop (Office 2003) - one way sync
    Google syncs with my Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Im not sure if it'll do "everything" you need but have you looked into SpanningSync?
    Spanning Sync - Sync iCal and Google Calendar
    I used the demo to sync my contacts and Address book from mac with Gmail and it worked great. It updates the changes on your desktop when you make on your phone through google as well.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I looked at Spanning Sync and did not see that it was much different from Google's sync app. Looks like I'll just have to be the guinea pig on this one...