1.    #1  
    This one's almost funny. OK, it is funny.

A coworker of mine who just got a pre forwarded me an e-mail he received from one of our customers. He gets his mail via EAS, as do I. When he forwarded me the e-mail, it attached the original e-mail as a .eml. When I try to open that .eml attachment on my pre, it gives me a message telling me it doesn't have a program that understands the format.

HA. So basically, a pre can't open an e-mail sent from another pre. Too funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcharkowski View Post
    This one's almost funny. OK, it is funny.

A coworker of mine who just got a pre forwarded me an e-mail he received from one of our customers. He gets his mail via EAS, as do I. When he forwarded me the e-mail, it attached the original e-mail as a .eml. When I try to open that .eml attachment on my pre, it gives me a message telling me it doesn't have a program that understands the format.

HA. So basically, a pre can't open an e-mail sent from another pre. Too funny.
    I didn't know the pre attached emls when forwarding, I know windows mobile does and I haven't been able to open several of those.. just stupid.
    Hopefully this will be addressed in the 1.1 update.
    I updated weekend before last, but still can't open an email attachment in an email (.eml) nor a voicemail attachment in an email (.wav). For any kind of business user, these are critical. How do we make sure Palm knows about this and includes it in the next update?
    you have to go to the palm user forums.. and post there. I don't have the link handy.. so makes this post kinda silly
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Its been posted quite a few times....no answer yet from palm.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
  7. TGJ
    I found a work around that so far works for me. This is what I've done.

First, my story. My work email uses Groupwise and BES so the Pre can't get to their servers. The Auto-Forward will only send them as .eml and that doesn't work with my hosted exchange account and/or my gmail account as the pre can't open the email. This is what I did today and so far it works.

1) My work email is automatically forwarded to my hosted exchange account. Mail2web to be exact.
    2) My home computer's outlook (2007) is set up to sync with my Mail2Web account. When I get a work email, it finds its way to my desktop.
    3) From there, I have my outlook configured to "redirect" those particular emails to my gmail account.
    4) It ends up on my phone, and I can read it! Also works with word doc attachments too.

This is a half *** method to make this work, and it costs $$$ for the hosted exchange account, but now I'll finally be able to read my emails throughout the day :-) I just have to leave the desktop on lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    com'on palm, can't open .eml file, what is this?

Attached .EML files - Palm Support Community

Just spam them here: http://www.palm.com/us/company/feedback.html
    Hope to see it in 1.4.5. but not counting on it.

btw. Palm it's a standard:

e-mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.eml application/mbox, message/rfc822 E-Mail Microsoft Outlook Express mail message (MIME RFC 822)

RFC 4155 - The application/mbox Media Type
    1) My work email is automatically forwarded to my hosted exchange account. Mail2web to be exact.
    2) My home computer's outlook (2007) is set up to sync with my Mail2Web account. When I get a work email, it finds its way to my desktop.
    3) From there, I have my outlook configured to "redirect" those particular emails to my gmail account.
    4) It ends up on my phone, and I can read it! Also works with word doc attachments too.
    Just one gotcha with this... Outlook redirects don't retain anyone else on the email... so a Reply All won't make it to anyone but the sender. If it's not one thing it's another.

Does no one have any kind of patch to address this issue of not being able to read Outlook messages in the form of attachments? This seems like a fairly significant problem.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Am I understanding this problem correctly? If someone forwards an e-mail to you using an Exchange account on the Pre, it doesn't work? I am unable to reproduce this problem. All of my e-mails are showing up fine, forwarded from a Pre, forwarded from Outlook, etc. Do I not understand the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
    Does no one have any kind of patch to address this issue of not being able to read Outlook messages in the form of attachments? This seems like a fairly significant problem.
    There is still no solution to this problem so please report at:
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    on my Pre3 (webos 2.2) i found EMAIL app to be registered to .eml finally. But it seems it is not always possible to parse the eml file resulting in a: error parsing eml

So i took another chance to register internalz for eml files and came across RegisterApp by Metaview: L\'Haut-Parleur » An app to register another app for a certain file type…

i entered the following:
    APPID: ca.canucksoftware.internalz
    EXTENSION:eml
    MIMETYPE: message/rfc822

This results in adding Internalz to .eml in the default app (Standardsoftware) filehandling under Device infos (be sure to have it closed at registering). Now this only makes the eml be readable in plaintext and it can surely not display any binary content in a eml like pictures...
    This could also perhaps crash internalz or the phone, i'm not sure what happens if large eml files are opened.

A sample.eml file with attachments can be found here: http://trac.roundcube.net/raw-attach...541/sample.eml

I tested i now with my Testing device (Pre3) but it should perhaps work on Pre2 (2.1) also, as i was also able to register new types as .rar or .zip to internals (not that i makes sense).

Be aware all default apps settings for internals are set back to default if you change "default app" options in the internalz prefences page.
    Attached Images Attached Images