Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got my pre and to my dismay it will not take an IP address for my exchange account. IT will not make a domain name due to junkmail issues we use to have. I did some searching and a simple workaround is to register a dummy domain name that points to my IP address. If I go to godaddy.com and register a name as simple as XXXXX.com will that work? I have never set up a domain name.
    I'm amazed at some of the excuses reported on here by IT departments for some of the things they do.
    I just did a quick experiment. I modified the /var/etc/hosts file (as root), and put in a bogus IP address for my Exchange server (127.0.0.1). The Pre's browser would not go to my server OWS page, nor would the email sync up. Taking the entry out caused everything to work normally again.

This indicates to me that the Pre uses the /var/etc/hosts file to resolve names before using DNS. That means you should be able to put a manual entry for your company's Exchange server in the /var/etc/hosts file. Pretending your server would be email.mycompany.com and the IP address would be 192.168.1.50, your entry would look like this (the first two lines are already in mine, don't remember if I changed it for something or not, but you get the idea):

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    127.0.0.1 castle
    192.168.1.50 email.mycompany.com
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I just did a quick experiment. I modified the /var/etc/hosts file (as root), and put in a bogus IP address for my Exchange server (127.0.0.1). The Pre's browser would not go to my server OWS page, nor would the email sync up. Taking the entry out caused everything to work normally again.

This indicates to me that the Pre uses the /var/etc/hosts file to resolve names before using DNS. That means you should be able to put a manual entry for your company's Exchange server in the /var/etc/hosts file. Pretending your server would be email.mycompany.com and the IP address would be 192.168.1.50, your entry would look like this (the first two lines are already in mine, don't remember if I changed it for something or not, but you get the idea):

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    127.0.0.1 castle
    192.168.1.50 email.mycompany.com
    So is this file on the exchange server or the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by kessomatthew View Post
    So is this file on the exchange server or the phone?
    On the phone. You have to root the pre to get to it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    On the phone. You have to root the pre to get to it.

Thanks. So I can put any name for the server and the ip next to it and it will use that to access my exchange?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Part of this doesn't make sense at all. If your company has an email address, it has a domain name. The domain name is what appears after the @ sign. You then need to see who governs your DNS, is it a registrar like godaddy.com? Or is it the ISP that your work uses? We have used both. If it lies with your ISP, you contact them and ask them to add am A Record DNS entry for www (under your domain) to point to the dedicated IP address you use for your exchange OWA.

Dave
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    HAHAHA...

I read that funny. I Thought it was caps lock on it, not IT.

That still just doesn't make sense. Someone else already said so. But it does seem like an odd excuse. It sounds like they don't think people just ping sweep random addresses and only question DNS servers for info.

I guess I might have been there at one point.

Dave
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DKatman View Post
    HAHAHA...

I read that funny. I Thought it was caps lock on it, not IT.

That still just doesn't make sense. Someone else already said so. But it does seem like an odd excuse. It sounds like they don't think people just ping sweep random addresses and only question DNS servers for info.

I guess I might have been there at one point.

Dave
    Are you familar with godaddy? Where would I go to point the domain to my exchange ip?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    The real fix for something like this in regards to your IT department is to convince someone with more power than you (a CEO or high ranking Manager) to get a pre or an iPhone so they will be forced to fix that situation instead of acting like you aren't important enough to do it for.

Good Luck,
    Dave
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Are you familar with godaddy? Where would I go to point the domain to my exchange ip?
    Yes. And they are great. As a side, if you call them, they will help...they are just helpful.

Then create a new A Record (although I really think a "www" might already exist. If it does, change that instead of creating a new one).

Have it point to the desired IP Address.

You should be fine. I think I only needed to contact the ISP when I wanted to set the MX (which is actually the mail exchange record).

Let us know.

Dave
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Some companies use spam filters like Postini, when they do this they don't need to have a MX record pointing to the Exchange IP (it points to Postini). We have multiple domains all pointing to one MX record and one IP address. You can create a domain xyzcompany.com and then add an A Host record mail.xyzcompany.com pointing to your Exchange IP. That would work fine. All that matters is Username, Password and Domain (not web domain) after that.
  13.    #13  
    There is one in the A record already labeled "@". Can I change that one?

Yes. And they are great. As a side, if you call them, they will help...they are just helpful.

Then create a new A Record (although I really think a "www" might already exist. If it does, change that instead of creating a new one).

Have it point to the desired IP Address.

You should be fine. I think I only needed to contact the ISP when I wanted to set the MX (which is actually the mail exchange record).

Let us know.

Dave
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Let us know.

Dave
    He would not actually need to setup a MX record for this to work. You only need an MX record if you want to have mail for that domain go there. He would only need an A Host Record.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    There is one in the A record already labeled "@". Can I change that one?
    No, it would be a new one.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenS_aTm View Post
    No, it would be a new one.
    Ok so under host I would put wwwdotmydomaindotcom and the ip put the exchange ip? The one labeled "@" goes to another ip. I should leave that alone right? What about the name servers? Leave it on forward or parked?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    He would not actually need to setup a MX record for this to work. You only need an MX record if you want to have mail for that domain go there. He would only need an A Host Record.
    Yes, exactly. That is what I was correcting, where I earlier said that he may need to contact his ISP. But that was only for an MX record, which as you stated, isn't needed.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Ok so under host I would put wwwdotmydomaindotcom and the ip put the exchange ip? The one labeled "@" goes to another ip. I should leave that alone right? What about the name servers? Leave it on forward or parked?
    You would create something like, exchangedotmydomaindotcom and then the IP. You wouldn't want to use Www, that would mess with your site. As for the name servers, you have to use godaddy if that is who is hosting your DNS.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Actually the name of the A record you make is WWW
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    You would create something like, exchangedotmydomaindotcom and then the IP. You wouldn't want to use Www, that would mess with your site.
    OK. THat makes sense. I didn't think about an existing site. And I don't think there is one, or he would have an A record of WWW already, wouldn't he?

I did give mine a different name of email or something like that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast