1.    #1  
    Please help! I've had my Pre a week, and love the browser -- but if I can't get email figured out in a day or two I'm returning it.

I am looking for the following BASIC email functionality that I've always had in smartphone email ... going back to my i500 6 years ago.

For each email account, I want to set a default preference for whether or not my local deletions also delete the server copy of my messages (For most accounts, I want this set to "no" ... i.e. I want to delete my phone emails once read, but leave the server copies in place.)

Then, I want the option on a message-by-message basis to over-ride my global preference. I.e. if my default for delete is to delete only the local(phone) copy, I want the option to "junk" a message, which also deletes the server copy. Otoh, if my default for delete is to delete both, I want to be able to select for a particular message to only delete the local version.

I have always had these options on email, and they are essential for management. How do I get this set up on the Pre?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkzp View Post
    Please help! I've had my Pre a week, and love the browser -- but if I can't get email figured out in a day or two I'm returning it.

I am looking for the following BASIC email functionality that I've always had in smartphone email ... going back to my i500 6 years ago.

For each email account, I want to set a default preference for whether or not my local deletions also delete the server copy of my messages (For most accounts, I want this set to "no" ... i.e. I want to delete my phone emails once read, but leave the server copies in place.)

Then, I want the option on a message-by-message basis to over-ride my global preference. I.e. if my default for delete is to delete only the local(phone) copy, I want the option to "junk" a message, which also deletes the server copy. Otoh, if my default for delete is to delete both, I want to be able to select for a particular message to only delete the local version.

I have always had these options on email, and they are essential for management. How do I get this set up on the Pre?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!
    I've never heard of "junk" used to describe what you're doing.
    I've never heard of a client that can over-ride the server settings on an email by email basis.

You may have had a client that did these things, but I would strongly disagree that these are "basic".

At any rate, I don't think the Pre has what you're looking for.
  3.    #3  
    I certainly had all this functionality (and more) on SnapperMail on a Palm 4.0 device 7 years ago.

Even, if I can't easily switch preferences on a message-by-message basis, how do I set up an IMAP account so that when I delete messages on the phone, server copies are unaffected?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!

You're right, Snapper does this....as did the recent versions of Versamail. No, this one doesn't. Sort of.

I have 2 accounts, one is EAS for my work account. On that one everything is in sync. If I kill it on the Pre, it's gone from my account at work and is really, most sincerely dead. If I wanted to keep it (sort of like retaining it on the server, but no longer in my Inbox on my Pre), I can always move it to another folder on the Pre that syncs with the like-named folder on my server/desktop email client.

I also have AOL (stop laughing, I've had it forever). On it, when I kill something on the Pre, it is retained on the web-based client until I physically remove it. Sounds like what you're looking for.

But, in the end, there are so few apps for the Pre- much less ones that are "upgrades" to the onboard utilities, that it'll be a while before you get the power you REALLY want. Sorry.

bj
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    In email Preferences & Accounts you can select the account and set sync to no. That should leave a copy on the server when you delete from the phone. I don't think there is a way to do it on a per email basis though.
    I certainly had all this functionality (and more) on SnapperMail on a Palm 4.0 device 7 years ago.

Even, if I can't easily switch preferences on a message-by-message basis, how do I set up an IMAP account so that when I delete messages on the phone, server copies are unaffected?

Thanks!
    Snapper Mail is not a "basic" email application. It was an addon, and it was released years after the Treo was initially released. You've got to give this device some time.

I don't think you can set IMAP to leave mail on the client, but not on the server.

Instead, set up the account as a POP account, and set it to leave the mail on the server. Then when you delete it on your Pre, it will not delete it on the server.
    + 1 for POP. This will solve your issues.
    I miss my SnapperMail.
    If you're willing to shell out some cash (around $75) you can have a solution with Classic and SnapperMail. I have Classic, and I loaded a trial version of SnapperMail, and it worked fine.

Classic is in the app catalog, and you get SnapperMail through traditional channels.

Both have a free trial period, so you an try them out and see if they work for you.