View Poll Results: Would you like to see Facebook chat integration with the included Messaging app?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Integrate it. (We'll work out the details later)

87 88.78%
  • No. Keep it separate. (Synergy FTL)

11 11.22%
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I've been thinking a bit about the seemingly random way that a dedicated Facebook app is missing from the app store, and while on Facebook chat earlier today, realized that I'd love to see a new Synergy feature that integrates the Facebook chat in with the existing messaging app. We've already got Google and AOL integration, so Facebook seems like it would be the next logical step. I can't believe that something like this has eluded Jon Rubenstein and his crew, and I would further speculate (geez, I've been watching too many TV shows) that the delay in launching a standalone Facebook app is for this very reason.

Have you seen the new 3.0 Facebook app for the iPhone? Slick looking. I imagine it would look very similar on the Pre, with the exception that the chat aspect would also be included and bundled as part of the WebOS itself.

If they do launch something like this, one thing I'd love to see would be granular control of WHICH contacts see WHICH status I am. Quite frankly, there a lot of people with whom I don't want 24/7 connected status with, and some I would prefer to only see me "log in" once a day, and some friends I would talk with anytime. If you're listening Palm, don't forget this crucial aspect, ok? Trust me- some people have a LOT of friends, and it would be more beneficial to be able to use the feature of integration, rather than have to disable it.
    I voted yes, but after a little consideration, I think an option would be extremely necessary if this was even implemented. Think about the battery life with all of that data running through facebook to the phone. Each and every status update for the 700 friends I have would be very taxing to the battery.
    I've never understood the whole interest in Facebook chat with yahoo, aim, gtalk, and such already out there. But apart from what I think there definately seems to be demand for it.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Id be interested in it but extremely weary of it. Lord knows with 3 linked email accounts and text messaging this phones already taken over my life enough as it is. I've already experienced the deja vu of getting an email on my computer and having my phone "bing" me a second later. Id absolutely want a way to remain offline from Facebook chat during my day. Id definitely want a way to sign out of facebook chat when I dont want to talk to facebook friends. I don't use AIM or Google Chat so I dont know if you can turn those services off independently or if its always online, busy of offline for both at the same time.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knickrox13 View Post
    I voted yes, but after a little consideration, I think an option would be extremely necessary if this was even implemented. Think about the battery life with all of that data running through facebook to the phone. Each and every status update for the 700 friends I have would be very taxing to the battery.
    Agreed, 100%. I'd love to keep AIM on all the time, but battery life is crippled with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Id be interested in it but extremely weary of it. Lord knows with 3 linked email accounts and text messaging this phones already taken over my life enough as it is. I've already experienced the deja vu of getting an email on my computer and having my phone "bing" me a second later. Id absolutely want a way to remain offline from Facebook chat during my day. Id definitely want a way to sign out of facebook chat when I dont want to talk to facebook friends. I don't use AIM or Google Chat so I dont know if you can turn those services off independently or if its always online, busy of offline for both at the same time.
    Your sentiments echo mine exactly. Currently, there IS no way to turn them off independently, save deleting the chat profile. If they can minimize the impact on battery life, that's fine. But until that happens, they need a stop gap in being able to turn them on/off independently. I'd love an independent schedule option, where you could turn on/off the chat-type on a certain time. Considering that the more chats you get, the worse battery life you receive, an "ignore" function on a granular level may prove to be ideal.
    I would be interested provided the following: 1) You can sign off Facebook Chat independently of other IM services 2) You have the option of not syncing your Facebook friends to your Contacts 3) Facebook Chat becomes integrated with the Facebook app (you have the option to view a person's profile, etc)
    I don't want to be signed into Facebook IM all the time. It is nice to just catch up with people when I am browsing the site.

If they can integrate it into the Facebook app (forthcoming), that would be better, otherwise I would only want it to connect when I am in the facebook app.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I've never understood the whole interest in Facebook chat with yahoo, aim, gtalk, and such already out there. But apart from what I think there definately seems to be demand for it.
    Because unfortunately a lot of people only seem to use FB chat now :/

What I want is:

1) Be able to set up a "Phone" list on Facebook and put friends in it. The Pre's facebook contact sync function would then ONLY sync with the friends on that "Phone" list

2) Have Facebook Chat integrated in the Messaging app but use ONLY your friends on the "Phone" list
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I use meebo.com and it's amazing how many people seem to stay logged onto Facebook for long periods of time and show up in the list of IM contacts!
    I'm not so much worried about the battery life with ALL of the contacts but the refreshing rate for people signing off and on Facebook
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products