Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Anyone having trouble getting all their email on the Pre?

I have several email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail. I have noticed now that I'm not getting all of my messages on the Pre.

I'll take a look at my Pre and for example this morning, I had one email in my Hotmail account on the Pre that was sent around 4am. I then logged into Hotmail just now and found there was another unread message in the regular inbox (not junk) that was sent last night around 7am and this was never downloaded to the Pre.

I then checked my Yahoo mail and there were about 6 messages in there this morning and none of them downloaded to my Pre even after hitting the refresh button on the Pre.

Anyone else notice this? I'm not totally sure, but I think this started after either the 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 update.
    It seems to be hit or miss for me. I had gmail set to "when arrives" but I changed it to every hour to see if it helps with the battery. I sent a test email two hours ago and still no notification.
    Mine has been a failiure since day one... I use hotmail and gmail and it has problems with both even after closing the accounts and reopening them on the phone. Also if I set it to manual it still does its own thing and sends me a notification at its own will.
    I have the same problem with Yahoo Mail. After 1.03, it started to perform as Gmail with mail arriving almost instantly (20-30 second lag). When I first had the Pre, it was not doing this. My Yahoo mail has stopped downloading automatically and I notice that sometimes it takes a while or even 2 manual synch's until the mail loads. This has only happened Since yesterday or possibly the day before.

Y! Mail was performing so well after 1.03 that I decided to eliminate my Gmail account (I have all my Yahoo mail automatically picked up by Gmail but there can be a 30 minute delay).

Everything was great until I installed 1.04 (updated the OS). Have you guys noticed the problem since that time or is it because Yahoo Mail is not working properly in Push format. I was told that Push Yahoo mail only started with 1.03 and Hotmail push was coming but had not arrived.

What are others seeing with Yahoo Mail?
    if you haven't done a reboot in a while... it never hurts. My emails started acting up and i haven't rebooted in at least 2 weeks.

Give it a shot.. see how mail reacts.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alsdweoir View Post
    Anyone having trouble getting all their email on the Pre?

I have several email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail. I have noticed now that I'm not getting all of my messages on the Pre.

I'll take a look at my Pre and for example this morning, I had one email in my Hotmail account on the Pre that was sent around 4am. I then logged into Hotmail just now and found there was another unread message in the regular inbox (not junk) that was sent last night around 7am and this was never downloaded to the Pre.

I then checked my Yahoo mail and there were about 6 messages in there this morning and none of them downloaded to my Pre even after hitting the refresh button on the Pre.

Anyone else notice this? I'm not totally sure, but I think this started after either the 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 update.
    Yeah I've been having this problem too. It syncs sometimes but most of the time it won't show up. I got it to sync some emails properly by actually going into yahoo mail in the browser and moving those mails to a different folder and manually refreshing. Its a waste of synergy if it can't even do push email correctly.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    same issue here with gmail. New messages are not coming through into the palm email program; they show up fine through the web gmail. A full resent (total wipe of the device) caused it to pull recent emails, but nothing since. Sure hope a fix is near! 1.0.4 with gmail seemed to work fine for me, but stopped working two days ago.

Sean
    That happened to me once. I reset - that fixed the problem.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    maybe we can start to narrow this down. Is anyone experiencing this NOT using labels on gmail? I'm using labels (about 5 of them) and someone mentioned to remove them and it helped them.

[edit: I deleted all labels & filters and still had the issue, so not fix there for me]

in case it has something to do with quantity of email; my gmail has about 51,000 emails, and about 30,000 of them are unread.

seems imap is out of sync; cause some of the labels will put in new email, but not my general in box. weird!

Sean
    Last edited by seanfl; 07/15/2009 at 07:47 AM.
    I still have the same problem -email on Gmail and Yahoo! Mail not coming through consistently.

Sometimes everything is fast and other times there are extended delays. I have wondered if it is a network issue or a swithchoever from Wifi to EVDO.

At this point my best conclusion os that there are issues with the PRE or the network picking up Push mail from the network. Yahoo has been consistently slower for me than Gmail.

This is a VERY significant issue for Sprint and PALM vis a vis blackberry and the iPhone.

I am surprised that more people are not complaining about this and it does not get more attention in these forums.

Are others out there not experiencing these issues? Please reply either way so we can pin down if this is really isolated.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    think this is related to it?

Google Sync outage - Google Mobile Help

if so, I wonder how the few of us that are still not able to sync can get back into sync?

sean
    Here is another data point that leads me to believe that the issue resides with the Palm IMAP server. I have set Yahoo! to send me an alert (a text message) whenever email is received from certain important people. I receive the text message indicating that the mail is received well before the email appears from Yahoo etc.

If you notice, the mail server is palm.imap.yahoo.com or something. This suggests that it is a push email server issue. Somehow this is not sending the messages out consistently.

The fact that I have this problem with Yahoo mail and GMail suggests to my that the Google sync issue above is not the problem we are experiencing.

More importantly, if the problem was just with Google or with Yahoo!, that would suggest an issue with either of these firms (potentially). The fact that I have this with both suggests to me that it is a PALM issue and how it interfaces or receives the PUSH email from these servers.

I have removed and added my email accounts since last week. Things appeared to work better but then degraded.

Someone must have a better clue on this than I do.
    Here it is. I just got off the phone after 45 minutes on the phone with Sprint.

Level 3 support CONFIRMED that there is a known issue with regard to email not coming through consistently IN CERTAIN INSTANCES. The first two tech reps said that this was the first time they had heard of this issue. Then I was told that Level 3 engineering confirmed that in some instances the push mail is not being received properly.

They told me to look out for a software patch but the issue remains outstanding so there is no imminent solution.

Apparently it is unclear why some subset of us do not receive these emails consistently. When I said maybe it was a hardware issue, they were very specific that it was a software issue.

They did tell me to restart the phone and email is coming in again.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    gkouri

thanks for following up. For what it's worth, mine is not set to receive instantly (push), my pre checks every 15 minutes.

I had some success with selecting the folder "all mail" sometimes. My in box remains frozen and the only way to get new mail is to remove the gmail account and re-add it (or go to the web browser and use gmail via the browser).

If anyone else figures out something, please update. It was working so well up until about a week ago.

Out of curiosity, have you tried setting up a different gmail account that gets mail often to see if it might be related to a particular gmail account that needs to be fixed on google's end? That's probably not the case since you or someone mentioned having the same issues with yahoo mail on the pre, but thought I'd ask.

Sean
    i stopped receiving gmail today. i had to restart my phone to get all of my messages. yahoo has been acting up but i eventually get my mail a couple hours later.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Me too! I'm using Yahoo and my messages are not being received on to Pre properly. I seem to receive my messages, but not consistantly. Some days I go for hours without receiving a message eventhough new messages are there. When new messages show up in my inbox, the subject and sender is there, but the message content is missing. When I open the message, I get a rotating circle for retreiving, but often the message never opens.

Shouldn't the entire message download when a new message is sent to the Pre? Waiting for the message to download when I request the message instead of when the message is received doe snot seem to make much sense to me.
    i restarted my phone and my gmail seems to be working fine now. yahoo still seems delayed.
    I've had intermittent problems recieving e-mail from a POP account. Two things seem to have helped:

1) Turn on "airplane mode". Then turn it off. This seems to prompt the Pre to take a fresh look at what's out there, and is quicker and less disruptive than rebooting, resetting, etc.
    2) Leave the Mail app looking at a single inbox, rather than "all inboxes". For some reason the manual sync never ever worked when I had ti set to "all inboxes" but does when I am in a single inbox. The timed sync seems to work more reliably, too. (It's possible it was just syncing the "first" account, while most of my mail comes on the "second" account.)

I haven't had the issue much since applying tip 2, but when I did, it seemed to happen most when I was using wifi, and then would get stuck in "don't update" mode even when I moved out of wifi range. Dunno what to do about this other than to be aware of when you might have to kick the Pre, using tip 1.

These things have pretty much solved my mail sync problems.

I do have a gmail account, but I get one post per day, and don't much care when it arrives, so I don't know whether I've had issues with that account or not. Certainly no issues lasting longer than a day.