1.    #1  
    So I've had my pre since launch day. My gf's line was due today for an upgrade. One of the Best Buys in town had one pre left so we stopped out there tonight. They were swamped, there was only one guy in the mobile department so he kind of rushed us through. Anyway, he handed me the phone and said it was activated and to go ahead and go through and create the palm profile. When I went through and got to the last screen it would try to create the profile but error out. One thing I noticed in the top right corner there were full bars but no EV indicator was showing up.

He mentioned that it might take a couple hours to fully activate. I really didn't buy that but he was busy so we left. Got home and talked to sprint chat. They had me reboot and still same problem. They then walked me through doing a full reset on the phone and manually activating the phone. The phone came to a screen that said activation successful.

The next screen was back to the palm profile creation. Again, went through them and still it would give me that error that it couldn't create a profile. There still was no EV indicator.

The chat rep said she has done all she could and to take it to a Sprint repair center. Now I'm guessing the Sprint store is going to say take it back to Best Buy for exchange.

Anyone run into something similar? Is it sounding like the radio is bad in this phone? Just wondering if I really will have to return it. Probably wont be able to do an exchange since it was the only pre in stock at the two local Best Buys.
    Last edited by gabbott; 07/02/2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Fixed some spelling from my rushed typing
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    My wife and I got our pre's about a week ago and ran into the same problem. Her's received data easily while mine would not. I went through three levels of Sprint customer service tech support and she said that I would need to get a new device. Then she tried one more thing on her end and it started working. I don't know what she did though.
    Same thing happened to me at a Sprint store. My Pre was activated, but... no EV indicator.

When I tried to sign into my Palm Profile, it gave a "Try Again" message that said something like, "data not available, go to an area within the Sprint data network." The guy helping me in the Sprint store did a couple of 'soft resets', but still...no EV indicator.

He then called someone in Sprint tech support and did a "master reset", re-activated the phone, but still...no EV indicator.

Then, the in-store 'Pre-advocate' lady got involved. She said her Pre had the same, 'no EV indicator' problem when she activated her phone. Go figure. She said her EV indicator "just showed up after waiting 10 or 15 minutes." So we waited, but after 15 minutes still...no EV indicator.

I'd been there a while, so the store manager came over and said I could switch it out for another Pre. Ironically enough, the Pre-advocate said, "let me try one more thing" and she called Sprint tech support again. She was on the phone for at least 15 minutes (I have no idea what she was doing). All of a sudden...POOF! Magically, the EV indicator was back!

I asked the Pre-advocate, "what was the problem?" She said, (referring to the Sprint tech support person on the phone, "it was something on their end." So I guess, Sprint tech support pushed the magic button to make it work. I just wish I knew what that they did exactly so I could let you know. I'd been there for so long, I was just happy to get my Pre working and out the door.

Since then, I've had zero problems with the Pre. So, my uneducated guess is that it's a problem on the Sprint side of things, not with your Pre or anything you did during activation. If I were you, I'd try calling Sprint and telling them your EV indicator isn't showing up. Maybe that will get them to push the magic button that will make it work.

Good luck!
    Treo300>600>650>755p>Pre
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougDarden View Post
    Since then, I've had zero problems with the Pre. So, my uneducated guess is that it's a problem on the Sprint side of things, not with your Pre or anything you did during activation. If I were you, I'd try calling Sprint and telling them your EV indicator isn't showing up. Maybe that will get them to push the magic button that will make it work.

Good luck!
    Thanks everyone, I think today I'll have them try reactivating it again and see if we can get the EV indicator to come up. I have a feeling it may have been on the Sprint end because after Sprint chat reactivated the Blackberry curve back onto the line for the time being, it took quite a while before my data started working.
    one of my family member's pre had data problems as well, go to sprint, or call them to get the MSL code and reprogram the phone.

it will do the trick
    I had this exact problem when I set up my sister's phone on launch weekend. In her case, it wasn't related to reprogramming the phone... After being told it was a network overload issue due to all the pre's being activated that weekend, like the OP, I was allowed to go home with an unactivated phone and told to try late at night after the stores close. After 4 hours talking to sprint, level 3 techs, etc... they gave up and we were told to return the phone to try a new device.

Found out later that it was actually caused by some legacy data plan from about a year and half ago before she switched to the family 1500 everything data $129 plan. Apparently, when she changed to this plan, the rep didn't properly remove the old data plan. Until she got the pre, everything worked fine - no technical issues - no billing problems. But since the pre must have a particular data plan, it was not seeing the new Everything Data plan, but rather the old one (I think it was called 'casual data usage (she must have been paying by the KB)'). In the confusion, it was not allowing the pre to connect to the Sprint EV Data network (or even 1X). Once they removed the old plan from her account and allowed the system to propagate the changes overnight, she was able to get the Pre up and running later in the week.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    one of my family member's pre had data problems as well, go to sprint, or call them to get the MSL code and reprogram the phone.

it will do the trick
    Last night they gave me the MSL because we did try a reset and reprogram but it didn't seem to work but at the time it was getting late so they just put the old phone back on the line for the time being.

This morning my gf called Sprint and she got them to put her through to tech support. It sounds like they might have found something with the provisioning on their end and they said they will be calling back in about 2 hours. If they get it fixed I'll try to find out what had to be done in case others run into this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I had this exact problem when I set up my sister's phone on launch weekend. In her case, it wasn't related to reprogramming the phone... After being told it was a network overload issue due to all the pre's being activated that weekend, like the OP, I was allowed to go home with an unactivated phone and told to try late at night after the stores close. After 4 hours talking to sprint, level 3 techs, etc... they gave up and we were told to return the phone to try a new device.

Found out later that it was actually caused by some legacy data plan from about a year and half ago before she switched to the family 1500 everything data $129 plan. Apparently, when she changed to this plan, the rep didn't properly remove the old data plan. Until she got the pre, everything worked fine - no technical issues - no billing problems. But since the pre must have a particular data plan, it was not seeing the new Everything Data plan, but rather the old one (I think it was called 'casual data usage (she must have been paying by the KB)'). In the confusion, it was not allowing the pre to connect to the Sprint EV Data network (or even 1X). Once they removed the old plan from her account and allowed the system to propagate the changes overnight, she was able to get the Pre up and running later in the week.
    Possible something like this. But I've been on the everything data $129 with these lines for over a year and used blackberries with data on them with no issue. I bought my pre launch day and it activated and was up and running by the time I left the store. Will be waiting to see what Sprint tech support says when they call back a little later.
    Try this, it worked for me.

I had this issue and the partial erase wouldnt work, it would just hang and not do anything. I also could not remote wipe it from the web. After calling Sprint and being passed off to Palm tech for over an hour I figured out how to fix it.

Before starting this you might want to backup your phone, set it up as usb and copy wallpapers ringtones etc from it. Also it couldnt hurt to backup the phone goto launcher then click backup.

Ok now on to the fix.

1. I got the MSL # from sprint Just call them and tell them you spoke to Palm and they need you to do a full reset and need the MSL I got it right away.

2. Dial ##786# scroll to the bottom and click reset enter the MSL and click ok. Mine hung and didnt reset. If yours does then youre all set just re log into palm profile and youre good to go.

3. I downloaded the Palm Os Doctor from Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Using Palm webOS Doctor

4. Restarted phone and computer (not sure if it was necessary but its what I did)

5. Turn off phone.

6. Launch Os Doctor install the drivers click through.

7. Press the up volume key (side key that you use to raise the volume)

8. Plug in the usb cable while holding the up key.

9. You should see a large white usb icon on the phone.

10. Click next on the OS Doctor program it will redownload the software from the server and upload to the Pre. You should see a large arrow and microchip on the screen.

Once this was done I was able to sign into the palm profile and update.

Hope this helps.
  10.    #10  
    Well, just to update, I was able to get the pre activated finally. My GF called Sprint back after not getting a call back like they said they would. The rep changed something on the account and just as I got home from work she was at the palm profile creation screen and this time there was an EV indicator. Everything went fine. My GF put the rep on the phone with me and he indicated the problem was the line had to be on the Simply everything plan for the pre. I let him know that we already were on the everything data share plan and I have had my pre activated on it since launch day. He mentioned something about an internal code on the plan that was blocking it earlier.

Anyway, got off the phone with him and looked at the account online. Her line was changed to the $99 simply everything plan so I had to contact Sprint again and change it back so her line was under my everything data share plan.

Being with Sprint for 11 years I'm used to having to watch my plans whenever account changes are made luckily in this case they seem to have fixed it pretty quickly.

All is said and done, I'm glad this pre was able to get activated and not have to return it. The build quality seems great and no dead pixels. I guess I've been lucky, my launch day pre is closing in on a month old and that one is going strong with no issues with the exception of one pixel that sometimes seems to get stuck but it is in a corner and not noticeable unless I look for it. So now I'm off to show the GF how to work her new phone.