Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Change your email password (just delete one letter) and set when you want google/pre to pull (whatever its called) your email. Than watch your phone to see how long it takes before the pre gives you an error.

Than dismiss the notification and wait again.
    On mine I had set it for MANUALLY, and the pre was pulling every 2-3 MINUTES!

And we wonder why we get bad battery life. This HAS to be fixed asap.
    For now I'm going to use the mobile version of gmail on the browser.

Btw, It seems like email, calendar and contacts also pull at the same time!
    That stinks, I dont have that much schedules or contacts to be updating every 3-4 minutes.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    This happens for me too at random times. Spent over 1 hour with tech support at palm. They need 2 fix this issue ASAP.
    maybe it's not checking email, but like you suggested, synchronizing the calendar and contacts, etc.
    ??
    just a thought...I could be wrong...(but seems like it makes sense?)
    it has nothing to do with Google, it even does it with my ISP email. Definitely a problem.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Wow good looking out.. I thought there was still something fishy going on there. I deleted my Gmail through Pre setting and added mobile Gmail version to launcher then dragged to quick launch area. I signed in and just closed the card then opened it back up and was still signed in (with a new auto refresh). Now is this pulling juice from my battery (not signing out) or different because it's basically a bookmark??? That would be nice if its cut off when card is tossed so I don't have to re-log in every time. For those of us that really only need to check email once a day I think this would be ideal until Palm or whoever fixes this issue...
    Now I'll have to see if my battery life is extended...?...
    Last edited by Freshyz; 06/30/2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Okay so here it is almost 24 hours later and I have to share what I discovered...

Deleted my Gmail account last night because of the opening threads statement just to see if battery life was extended. Charged up to 100%, unplugged, then did some random things for a bout a half hour before I went to bed, checked status and was still at 100%. (that's a first, it usually starts dropping within 5 minutes of use). Woke up approx. 8 hours later to a VM, calender alert and a few texts and low and behold I'm still at 100%!!! Thought I would never see that even after being idle for that long. Here it is the next night, I did not top off my battery once today and I'm at 62% which isn't bad considering I rocked out to Pandora for over 2 hours (big battery sucker of course), made a few calls, bunch of texts etc. Never thought I could make it through a whole day without topping off at least once. (I've yet to buy a Touchstone so this is nice convenient news for me)

I still checked my Gmail and Hotmail (mobile versions) about 2-3 times but I used the bookmarks I added to my launcher and am cool with that. To me email is something I check when I feel like it, not something I need to be bothered with randomly all day when I cant address it, that what texts are for, short and to the point. (I know there are plenty of people that feel the same way unless their job requires it) It sure is nice to view email in landscape mode too I must say, especially with images.

So get rid of that Palm email set-up until they properly address the issue of unnecessarily checking/pushing email, contacts, etc. to our devices and see the battery difference for yourselves...

P.S. When I had Gmail and 2 Hotmail accounts on my phone it got hot and drained in about 6 hours. I know Hotmail was supposedly the main culprit but now Gmail seems like an issue too. (and I hate how I get mail in there and it throws it in my contacts list! Like I need the tech guy from Pandora on my contact list...)

Hope this helps those that can check your email when you want and don't need it always coming to you...
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    That's good to know because my hotmail account was pushing emails to me throughout the day even though it was set to manual to save on battery life. Do you have to login to the mobile version of hotmail or gmail every time you select them from the launcher?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Ya manual never worked for me either. Just log in once and don't sign out. Just toss the card, re-open as needed and it opens up to your inbox with a new re-fresh.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Now you guys need to get a centro oem external charger and centro battery or better yet the seido battery and you will be set! Battery lasts longer when charged with external charger. ti been getting super nice battery life!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I'm not using Centro batteries. I know one guy that had his phone's backing melt. Left his Centro battery in his Pre charging overnight and poof.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Ya the Centro was proven to be not properly compatible and risky. I'm going to wait for this one from Innocell...

Innocell Extended Life Battery
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    It has to be something other than email draining your battery. Just about every weekend my phone comes off the charger at 8am on Sunday morning and doesn't go back on the charger until around noon Monday and is still over 40%, even with it checking gmail every 15 minutes and sending/receiving 60-70 text messages and doing some web surfing and 30ish minutes of talk time during that time frame (I don't make many phone calls).

The real battery killer is poor cell signal. At work, in the lower level of a large building with 1 or no bars of Sprint coverage, the phone keeps switching back and forth to the strong Verizon signal the building has due to built-in repeaters. The battery drains much faster and sometimes will be at 30% by the end of my shift after starting with a full charge. This is nothing new though as my Mogul was the same way as was my Samsung A930 regular cameraphone before that. But as long as I have decent Sprint signal, my Pre's battery lasts well over 36 hours under normal usage.
    I think if you change your account settings it checks it with the server and then keeps retrying when it fails. So don't change your account settings and it won't keep contacting the server.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    My experience is that my GMail account, when set to manual, will poll for new email whenever the data connection is reset. That is to say, pretty much whenever I hang up a phone call (or put the phone in/out of airplane mode). I would guess that this is an issue with the Pre's email program rather than GMail itself.

I have had no experience with GMail making my phone hot and draining the battery, however.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eli783 View Post
    I'm not using Centro batteries. I know one guy that had his phone's backing melt. Left his Centro battery in his Pre charging overnight and poof.
    You know ONE guy. I know tons of guys that have the centro battery and all has been good for weeks. I leave the centro battery charging all night and sometimes all day as well and never any issues. I bet you that the guy you know had a defective pre, end of story. Eventually it was going to happen no matter what battery he had in there.

To each his own.
    Do you have to remove link from everything or just email. I linked to google, palm profile and facebook for contacts and calendar. And I have gmail and yahoo email linked.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Did a test again...
    Used the Pre's email setup for my Gmail and it drained approx 12% over night as apposed to 0% when I just used the mobile version bookmarked to my launcher. Not a huge deal but every little bit helps with this mediocre battery as it is...
    I have FULL cell service in my apartment and job with full strenth WiFi at my place too. Not to mention I've yet to see the '1X or less signal, it's always at 'Ev'. Bad signal is not draining my phone, Gmail was...
    I talked to a Sprint manager today and he confirmed that Hotmail was for sure a huge issue with more phones than just the Pre (making them hot etc.) but having Gmail pull it helped that problem, however Gmail is still trying to sync (something?) unnecessarily.
    I also don't change my settings constantly. I only tried 1 hour interval and manual and neither seemed to work as designed.
    Don't use Facebook so not sure. I shut off the 'back up to Palm profile' because that seemed unnecessary and do not use Google to link to either. Don't like how Gmail pulls contacts I don't want in (which the Sprint mngr said Palm was working on) and I dont like how I get 2 alerts for one thing going that route. Just use Palm internal calendar for events etc.
    I'm just saying it's nice to see my battery at 100% for longer than 5 minutes off the charger (which now with minimal use can be hours later) and the above was my solution. If anyone can take the time to try the same and get back to this thread that would be appreciated...
    Has this issue been fixed yet?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    No these issues have not been fixed. My previous test was before 1.0 so I tried it again this weekend. Deleted email, charged up to 100%, unplugged and went to sleep, woke up 8 hours later to 5 texts and 2 VM and 100% battery. Not being able to send pictures via email from the Pre forced me to resign my Gmail account back on. Last night I did same with battery and had no messages when I awoke but 91% battery life. I only average receiving 1 email a day and I've tried 'as item arrives, every 24 hours, and manual' settings and get the same result. This has to fixed soon...
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I contacted Palm about this issue and they seemed to know nothing about it and treated it as if it was the first time they had heard of it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast