1.    #1  
    Hi there,

I own my own small company, and we do not have Microsoft Exchange Server. We all use Outlook 2003 on our desktops, and I'd like to sync my e-mail with my Palm Pre.

What is the best way to do that without having to buy Microsoft Exchange Server?

I've looked into Google Apps Sync and mail2web but find it all a bit confusing. Does anyone know how to set this up or does anyone have a better solution to recommend?

Thanks!! By the way, love the Palm Pre! I tell everyone it's the 8th wonder of the world!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    That's a tough one. If you do not have MES.
    The only way would be to connect your cable to you computer and sync. I am sure this is not what you want! However, there is a program that allows you to sync outlook with GMAIL. That way you could set GMAIL up on your phone and let the sync program take care of the data transfer from outlook to GMAIL.
    THe other option would be to get MES hosting. there's a number of companies offering this for relatively low cost. ie. allows all the benefits of a Microsoft Exchange environment, but none of the HW costs.
    As for the program, do a GMAIL to Exchange search. I have also read about it on this forum, but can't remember the name.
    For Exchange hosting - simply type exchange hosting in google
    Quote Originally Posted by preoccupied View Post
    Hi there,

I own my own small company, and we do not have Microsoft Exchange Server. We all use Outlook 2003 on our desktops, and I'd like to sync my e-mail with my Palm Pre.

What is the best way to do that without having to buy Microsoft Exchange Server?

I've looked into Google Apps Sync and mail2web but find it all a bit confusing. Does anyone know how to set this up or does anyone have a better solution to recommend?

Thanks!! By the way, love the Palm Pre! I tell everyone it's the 8th wonder of the world!
    Since you're just using Outlook on your desktop, with no Exchange server, that means you're getting email from somewhere else. Wouldn't you simply want to connect the Pre to that email via whatever your email provider supports, i.e., POP or IMAP? If you're using Gmail, just connect to it.

It's not exactly the same as syncing with Outlook. But, if you connect Outlook to your email provider via IMAP, you'll basically have what you're looking for. For example, deleting email on the Pre will delete it from the server, which will then delete from your Outlook. Sent emails will show up in the sent folder in Outlook, etc.

That's just for email, of course. There are a few solutions for syncing calendar and contacts, but that's a different discussion.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will check all of that out!
    Winand,

Thanks for the info. I have the some issue as Preoccupied. I like your advice and wonder if you could share a bit more detail.

My small company's e-mail is hosted by Register.com. I think it is a POP server. The functionality you describe for IMAP is exactly what I need. How would this work for a POP server? How would I set this up? I think I understand how the Pre would pull e-mails down from the POP server, but I don't understand how the sent & deleted folders would get updated/synced with Outlook. Any detail you can provide will be highly appreciated.
  6.    #6  
    I have looked more seriously into mail2web, and it seems like the right solution. You need the 9.95 "Pro" plan to make it work, but I personally think it's worth the money. There is a 60 day free trial and no upfront credit card payment. Haven't had a chance to install it all, but will try later this week...
    Thanks for the lead, Preocc. Have you tried Wynand's solution?
    preoccupied,

I am in the same boat as you for my work email. Since we are a small company, we don't have an exchange server, just an IMAP.

For the email what I did was configure my PRE to fetch the mail off our mail server. On my desktop I configured outlook to leave a copy of the message on the sever for 14 days, that way both "computers" will be able to see the messages.

For the contacts syncing I updated all of my google contacts to match my outlook contact list (just export all your contacts as a CSV, and google has a very nice import utility). I then downloaded and installed Go Contact Sync. This is the first time I used this program and I have yet to have a problem with it (and no, I'm not the developer).

If you have any more questions let me know. It's a rather simple solution I think. It allows me to adjust my contact list if I'm at my computer, my Pre, or if I'm at a foreign computer.