Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    yes that it what I was asking. Then I could dump the companionlink. It is a mess. Their tech support leaves at 3:30 PST so those of us on the east coast can barely use it.
    Great tip! Just set it all up!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    It's my understanding that it does, but if you'd like to be on the safe side, you can always use the mobile version of Xmarks and make a mobile sites folder with all of your bookmarks.
    But wouldn't I have to keep manually entering any new Pre's bookmarks to my desktop PC for XMarks to update ?
  4.    #24  
    It syncs both ways, pre to pc, pc to pre....Take your pick! You set it up at the begining what direction. I have it setup for 2 way, this way the newest is the priority. For example, I had 3 movies on my pre. The sync had the 3 movies on the pc and the pre. I went into the pre folder on my pc and deleted one of the movies, and added a different movie. When I did my sync, it deleted the movie from my palm and added the new one. The advantage is, I can setup my stuff whenever I want, then sync, and I am good to go.

I am not sure about the bookmarks, have not tried that.

Also, when I take photos with my Pre, and sync to the PC, I move the pictures to my Photos folder on my PC. I then have a copy of my photos on my PC and the pre pictures get deleted. If I copy the photos over, they stay on the Pre and the PC.

Hope this helps!
    will this work for the PIMS also?
    Originally posted by leipsic83
    But wouldn't I have to keep manually entering any new Pre's bookmarks to my desktop PC for XMarks to update ?
    I'm sorry. Talking about two different backup systems. If you just want to backup your bookmarks, use Xmarks and make a folder in Xmarks for mobile sites.

Because I already use Xmarks to synchronize my PCs, all of my bookmarks are already there. I simply created a new folder and labeled it mobile sites. Now instead of bookmarking a lot of stuff on my Pre, I access mobile Xmarks and go to mobile websites.

If you want to back up your full Pre system, not just bookmarks, use SyncToy. I have both, but that's because I already had the Xmarks system and Xmarks is out there in the clouds so that if something happens to my Pre and I replace it, Palm profile gives me back all of my hard data and Xmarks has my bookmarks. I don't have to get to my home PC or etc in order to be back in business.
  7.    #27  
    I am curious if anyone has other alternatives that are faster. The Sync Toy is great, but when syncing movies, it takes awhile. Not sure if this is just the speed of uploading the device through USB, or if it the software speed. Everything else syncs quick.
    does this save your contact info, message database, and calendar data?
    ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeharden View Post
    I am curious if anyone has other alternatives that are faster. The Sync Toy is great, but when syncing movies, it takes awhile. Not sure if this is just the speed of uploading the device through USB, or if it the software speed. Everything else syncs quick.
    By saying syncing movies takes awhile, what do you mean? Some actual numbers would be useful. For instance, I synced a 500 mb movie in about 5-7 minutes. Are those about the times you are seeing as well?
    Nice find, OP!! My wife wouldve loved to have this setup before she exchanged her Pre (fell out of the Sprint Plastic holster and caused a crack).

Like others have asked, does it sync EVERYTHING (contacts, settings, apps, calendars, etc) or just the files accessible via USB Mode?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Has anyone checked if this method backs up your IMs, Call Logs, App Settings, bookmarks and such ? Kinda like Palm desktop did for the Palm Treos, which were a 100% perfect sync/backup.
    Thanks !
    Currently the Palm Profile back up is VERY limited to contacts, calendars and some basic settings, none of the things I mentioned above.
    If you know how to use a terminal, and have already rooted your Pre and installed an ssh server, these two commands will backup your bookmarks and icons to the internal usb accessible memory. First run from root, either by 'su' or 'sudo -i' either will work.

mount -o remount,rw /

cp -R /var/luna/data/browser/icons/ /media/internal/

cp /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.browser_0/0000000000000004.db /media/internal/

Then backup the usb drive as normal.

#reverse to put bookmarks and icons back after an erase.

cp -R /media/internal/icons/ /var/luna/data/browser/

cp /media/internal/0000000000000004.db /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.browser_0/

mount -o remount,ro /
    Last edited by shariteau; 07/07/2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention root and enabling read/write
    Mikie,

Very nice suggestions.

There are a number of other threads that have floated around. I will try to compile the various methods into a post over in the Hardware area.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    yes that it what I was asking. Then I could dump the companionlink. It is a mess. Their tech support leaves at 3:30 PST so those of us on the east coast can barely use it.
    CompainionLink sycronizes your calendar and contacts on the Pre with your Outlook, Act, GoldMine, or other programs on your PC.

SyncToy specifically does not do sychronize your contacts or calendar. Synctop also does not have access to hidden directories when profiles, settings, and other internal information are kept. SycToy is great for synchronizing photos, music, wallpaper, ringtones, etc.

- Craig
    Mike,

Really nice work on this. I referenced this in a new thread in the Troubleshooting forum:

Backup Your Pre

- Craig
    I can't download the sync toy program. I have XP with adequate horsepower but when it gets done downloading it says unable due to me not having something or other and to contact vendor. frustrating
    Doesn't sprint provide a web back-up of the palm pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by leipsic83 View Post
    great tip.

Wish i read this before i swapped my pre.
    me too!
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I was curious on this as well. Just to clarify, are you asking if you save something on your pre will it sync to your computer?
    this works great for all your music and ringtones that you have put on your pre through usb cable and all wallpapers but thats all i see so far . the sync toy 2.0 is free from microsoft downloads so at least that part is saved but as for all the other mods and homebrews apps thats the stuff i would like back up the most . so half the problem solved thanks for the help mikeharden it does work well!!! oh and yes you can sync both ways what you delete on one device will be deleted on the other . the program give you several options , so you could set it up where only one way deletion occures its your choice.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast