My phone has been doing this ever since I got my latest replacement from Best Buy about a month ago. Previously, new emails would instantly pop up a notification, but now the only way to check for new emails is to refresh each account individually, which usually works but always leaves that error icon at the top of the screen as well.
I tried everything I could think of:
- restarting the phone
- removing and re-adding email accounts
- trying all the different sync settings
- emptying out my inbox in case some message had some weird formatting causing issues
- using wifi vs avoiding using wifi
- lose my email accounts, try the wife's instead
- run the webOS repair utility
All to no avail.
So today I bit the bullet and ran the webOSdoctor. At the point where I had to log in to my Palm Profile account, I used a different email address and created a new profile. I wasn't up for testing it, but was afraid the problem would come back along with the saved profile.
Got all set up, entered my email addys again, and.. it seems to be working. No stupid little error icon, and when I send a message to myself it usually pops up on the phone very shortly thereafter. Not always, for some reason, but usually. If it doesn't then I go into the email app and hit refresh, and it refreshes without the error icon, so that's good at least.