Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    So I have messed with the Exchange settings for way to long now. I have a SBS2003 R2 server with Exchange 2003 SP2. I have a self signed certificate that works fine for my 755P and my Centro. I have installed the cert on both of the Pre's that I bought and they just won't work. I can access my server with OWA with no cert errors. WHen I try to set up my email I ge the Date/Time error. I really do not want to buy a 3rd party cert to fix Palm's mess. Does anyone have verifiable steps to get this working? If not, these 2 phones are going back before I cannot bring them back.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylebrous View Post
    So I have messed with the Exchange settings for way to long now. I have a SBS2003 R2 server with Exchange 2003 SP2. I have a self signed certificate that works fine for my 755P and my Centro. I have installed the cert on both of the Pre's that I bought and they just won't work. I can access my server with OWA with no cert errors. WHen I try to set up my email I ge the Date/Time error. I really do not want to buy a 3rd party cert to fix Palm's mess. Does anyone have verifiable steps to get this working? If not, these 2 phones are going back before I cannot bring them back.

Thanks
    Don't give up! There are two certs that you need - the root cert and the server cert - make sure you install both - if you're not sure how to save them both just PM me the url of your server and I can save them both and send them over to you...
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    If you can, email me your phonenumber to lyle at fabulousevents dot info and I can call you if that is alright.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    There is an article on.... WebOS Wiki : Exchange and Self Signed Certificates

that will have detailed instructions. Thats how I got mine to work
    My Life with the Pre. http://theprelife.com

Thanks
    I gave up and got a free cert from StartCom. It worked without a hitch and didn't cost anything.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    My concern is they have a cert to access your server. How much can you trust something for free when it comes to security?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I tired this and I cannot see to get the Cert server installed. I believe this may be due to the fact that this is an SBS server which already has cert services on it.
    My concern is they have a cert to access your server. How much can you trust something for free when it comes to security?
    That's not how certificates work. You aren't granting them "access to your server" by installing a certificate. You are setting up a relationship such that a browser, phone, or user can determine if your site is the site it says it is.
    I tired this and I cannot see to get the Cert server installed. I believe this may be due to the fact that this is an SBS server which already has cert services on it.
    Open MMC and add the Certificate snap-in to it.

SBS 2003 of all forms has this ability.

You can also view your certificates for OWA with a bit of digging through IIS.
    As was mentioned eariler, your previous concern isn't valid. They don't get access to your server. It's just an organization issuing a certificate that says your server is who it claims to be.

I should mention that last I heard, IE doesn't recognize their certs, you still have to add them (I should also note, IE doesn't recognize your self-signed cert either, you have to "tell" it to accept both); however, the Pre does recognize it, and that's the issue at hand.

Also, I was not able to add the snap-in to my SBS server. However, I was able to use the Server Manager tool to remove the existing one, and install a new one. This link may help.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Lordy be! I got it working. Amazing. This is a huge flaw as far as I am concerned...Thanks for all the help..
    Lordy be! I got it working. Amazing. This is a huge flaw as far as I am concerned...Thanks for all the help..
    IMO it's not so much a flaw as it is Palm forcing you to in act a higher standard of security, particularly with SSL certs.
    Wait, what did you get working?? Did you just get it working with what you already had, or did you get the SSL cert installed?

C'mon now, we came through for you, time to payback a little and tell us what worked!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    As was mentioned eariler, your previous concern isn't valid. They don't get access to your server. It's just an organization issuing a certificate that says your server is who it claims to be.

I should mention that last I heard, IE doesn't recognize their certs, you still have to add them (I should also note, IE doesn't recognize your self-signed cert either, you have to "tell" it to accept both); however, the Pre does recognize it, and that's the issue at hand.

Also, I was not able to add the snap-in to my SBS server. However, I was able to use the Server Manager tool to remove the existing one, and install a new one..
    There are a few certification snap-ins for 2003 SBS. One doesn't work by default (can't remember which), at least IME. Nevertheless, it's always best in SBS to use the Server Management tab as you did. Keeps everyone out of trouble (since many SBS things MUST be done the SBS way, not the "Server 2003" way to function cohesively).