Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    CompanionLink is a program that can synchronize between Palm Desktop and Google
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I've been using soocial.com to sync between Outlook, Gmail and the Pre. It sort of works. I sync from Outlook to Soocial, and from there to Gmail. The Pre finds all of my contacts on Gmail. Soocial isn't perfect, but their tech support is responsive and it's free.
    Just got my new Pre (after issues with the first one) and Sprint store said the profile would import with the new phone. This was not the case and I lost 600 contacts. I have absolutely no backups.....am I screwed?
    after spending an hour on the phone with Palm they had me do a partial reset and log back in to my palm profile and everything just magically appeared. Weird, but at least I have my contacts back.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Here is my deal, w/about 10 days of use, my 1st Pre crapped out on me. The touchscreen died making the phone virtually useless. I swapped it out, attempted to log into the new phone w/ my profile, but I forgot the password. No biggie I figured since I was able to change it and "sucessfully" log into my account. Well that was yesterday and my contacts DID NOT import. Even after the suggested "Partial Reset".

From digging around here and else where I have found someother peeps w/ a similar problem. Some have pointed to the fact that if you forget your password and create another one, the palm software appears to create a double profile. To verify this I logged on to the Palm site and sure enough I have my old and new phone both listed on there. The old one is listed and unactive.

I read some where that a person got a Level 3 tech support to get rid of the double profile and he was able to recover his contacts as well as caledar and other things.

So as of right now, I 'm just going to head back to the Sprint store and have them transfer my contacts from my old Treo back to my newer Pre. Luckily I hadnt dove too deep into the phone and its features such as calendar and syncing. Otherwise I'd be even more pissed!!

So just a heads up to those that are w/ a new Pre, if you still have your old phone w/ contacts...BACK IT UP before you get rid of it or just hold on the phone all together until you can make sure your Pre is full proof. So far IMO things are not looking good...2 times I was at the Sprint store 2 customers had brought back their Pres for various hardware problems. So keep u're old phone around for the time being.

Oh yeah and the most important lesson in this debacle...DONT FORGET YOUR PASSWORD!!!
    Last edited by O Show; 07/30/2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Where is this Palm Profile? When I log in to palm.com and I go to my "profile" all I find is my name and contact info and the ability to delete my device. Is there a place where I can make online changes that will synch back with my phone like I used to do with the Centro desktop?

When I transferred my info from my Centro to my Pre I made the Palm Profile my default and am not using Google at all at this point.

Thank you for any help. I just don't get this aspect of the Pre.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    *bump*

Yes, can anyone answer the question of deleting your Palm Contacts in order to remove the duplicate contacts in my phone?!

Thanks!
    ya, i would like to know what palm profile really does.

i sync with google because i never received a straight answer about *** palm profile is. You can't log into it and change things are add contacts. You can only access it wiht web os phones. Great if you have a web os phone.

If they want ot make it useful they should make palm profile so you can log into it with any mobile phone (probably a smart idea to allow access from any PALM phone since it is a PALM profile...duh) and from any computer.

I would like to be able to log in and sync my treo pro with my palm profile so everything is the same on my 2 phones......i guess they didn't think that one through. They should have named it "webos profile" since it really doens't pertain to any palm device but the webos ones.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by binder View Post
    ya, i would like to know what palm profile really does.

i sync with google because i never received a straight answer about *** palm profile is. You can't log into it and change things are add contacts. You can only access it wiht web os phones. Great if you have a web os phone.

If they want ot make it useful they should make palm profile so you can log into it with any mobile phone (probably a smart idea to allow access from any PALM phone since it is a PALM profile...duh) and from any computer.

I would like to be able to log in and sync my treo pro with my palm profile so everything is the same on my 2 phones......i guess they didn't think that one through. They should have named it "webos profile" since it really doens't pertain to any palm device but the webos ones.
    i still havent figured out why palm gives you a login into your palm profile online(through palm's website) but the only thing they do is let you wipe your device. To be able to edit, delete, import and export you contacts would be ideal. Well see.
    I'm so ****ed off at palm for saying this phone is so easy yet you have to spend hours just to ****en sync crap from my old palm desktop, I have to research everything I do on this phone.

why can't I just go into contacts and edit a contact and movie it from any service I want. Google to palm profile. Palm to google. To yahoo. I'm so lost. Now with over 1000 contacts I'm screwed. I don't have time to do all this.
    used to be the biggest palm fan. They are just missing way too much stuff and they are not fixing any of them.
    also, can I switch my email that I use for palm profile?.
    Yes, you can change the e-mail associated with your Palm profile. Log in using the email address and pasword you used to activate your phone.

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

You will need to remove each email account you are syncing with in several places. Contacts, email, messages, photos (yes, photos), and calendar. Also check your facebook app or ay other app used to access those acounts. Annoying, sure. I learnied this the hard way.

You can also re-initialize your phone and create a brand new Palm Profile, but I don't recommend it as you can be confused easily by all these accounts.

This is why I spent the money on pocket mirror and I don't sync with any on-line accounts. You can get a free trial of companionlink and/or pocket mirror if you want to try it with a direct sync to outlook. Those of us that had the Centro wil remember that it came bundled with Pocket Mirror for syncing with outlook. Call me old-school, but I am not about to sync my info through google so they can create this sort of problem, and then index my info for use any way they please. They are famous for not taking care of people's info and privacy. I know that rant isn't helpful, but if you have to start over you can quickly and safely learn how synergy works with their free 7-day trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by richafig View Post
    *bump*

Yes, can anyone answer the question of deleting your Palm Contacts in order to remove the duplicate contacts in my phone?!

Thanks!
    If you have your contacts on some other medium such as Exchange, Google, Outlook, etc., you could turn off the backup feature, wait until deletes your backup (for me it was an hour or so), then do a Full Erase. Finally, resync your phone with the medium that sotres your contacts.

Be aware that a Full Erase deletes photos, music, application data, etc. from your phone.
    PS, I don't believe you can assign a contact to a different email account (i.e. move from your palm profile to yahoo or google). Synergy is just grabbing a copy and telling you where it came from. If you have the same people listed as contacts in multiple accounts (as many people do) and it should present them to you as a single contact on your Pre. If it doesn't recognize it, you can manually associate it on your Pre.

Once you get it all figured out, Synergy is really just the old Palm Sync on steroids. If you keep all your contacts very organized in Outlook - and do all your updates in Outlook, then using a 3rd party tool to sync directly to outlook works just like we did it in the good old days. I don't sync with any on-line accounts. I can wipe my Pre any time and just re-sync with Outlook. Just like we did with Palm Sync before these new-fangled smartphones...

If I had contacts spread out over yaho, google, facebook, linkedin, etc, then I'd let synergy do it's thing... but I would add them one at a time over many weeks to make sure I knew what it was doing..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12