Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    I'm sorry to ask this question, but how does one make use of EAS as opposed to IMAP or POP?
    You need an exchange server or a hosted exchange account. I use live.mail2web.com. It's a pretty good service.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    You need an exchange server or a hosted exchange account. I use live.mail2web.com. It's a pretty good service.
    thank you. I would imagine all of these services have a monthly fee, no?
    There is a free version of mail2web but I never extensively used it, so I'm not sure what user experience is like (Direct Push works and OWA works though).
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    thank you. I would imagine all of these services have a monthly fee, no?
    Yes, I have a friend who pays around $8/month for a hosted Exchange account at 1and1.com.

Many companies also run an Exchange server as their mail backend, so you could get your work email that way if that's the case.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    interesting. I'd like to use whatever email method can enable me to link up with my pop accounts but doesn't leave an open connection all day. I'm pretty sure the push-imap isn't really helping my battery life at all since where I live and work gets a lousy data signal.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    interesting. I'd like to use whatever email method can enable me to link up with my pop accounts but doesn't leave an open connection all day. I'm pretty sure the push-imap isn't really helping my battery life at all since where I live and work gets a lousy data signal.
    The data being sent with imap-idle is pretty small and the cost of the connection isn't much - usually its the creating of the connection that is costly (and why constant polling is expensive - creating connection, send small data, close). Not sure what gmail uses on the pre.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Do you have a GMail account? I believe Gmail will let you "aggregate" other POP email accounts. So in other words, you can have Gmail automatically go fetch mail from outside POP mail accounts and bring them into your Gmail inbox. Then you could use push email on your Pre with Gmail and be all set for free.

Having bad reception is always a problem with data usage, but I've found that having Gmail push enabled works very well and doesn't impact my battery much at all - even in marginal coverage areas.
    If you have gmail open on your computer you'll see this at the bottom of your screen:

Last account activity: 8 minutes ago at IP 71.16.76.92. Details

When "as mail arrives" is turned on the last activity is always showing 1 minute. I'd have to assume it's making a constant poll to see if there's new mail.

If you click details it'll show you which IP is for IMAP, it'll probably be the one with the last activity showing.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by canon.tk View Post
    When "as mail arrives" is turned on the last activity is always showing 1 minute.
    interesting...mine are a little bit longer than 1 minute, though

going through my history in gmail, I was able to check out both pop accounts I've got forwarding to gmail. one of them seems to be checked every 5 minutes or so. for some reason the other pop only gets checked every 9-10 hours. any idea why this would happen?
    I have used IMAP for years. Yep, it maintains a data connection with the mail server - it does not initiate a poll - just sits there until mail hits and then the mail server moves it to the device. If SMS is used then it is not true IMAP.

As for battery drain, a slight increase, but since it just sits there and only maintains a connection, then the drain in itself is not significant. What does affect the battery though is one very big factor: quality of signal. Even with data shut off, your device will attempt to make contact with the system and maintain that contact. If the signal is not strong enough, the device will look for a signal that is stronger - that kills the battery.
    you're correct about wifi... once the phone goes into standby, evdo takes over.

I'm wondering if under the circumstances I'd be better off "polling" rather than "pushing" - this is all vaguely sexual, isn't it
    I also have an Airave and a Pre and ran into a problem with incoming calls going to VM without the Pre ringing. I was told it was because when the Pre was getting email, voice was put on the backburner. I set the Get Email setting to Manual but the Pre ignored that setting.

I made sure wifi was on but now see where you suggest that wifi is not used when the Pre is in standby, which I assume means while sitting on the Touchstone charger. While in the house, the Pre sits on the charger when not in use.

My email is google. So what is the best method of configuring the Pre so my calls don't go to VM when the phone never rings?

Thanks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12