1.    #1  
    Cut to the chase:
    I just got my Pre 6 days ago.
    I travel every week.
    Occasionally I travel out of my timezone (New York).
    I was home last week and created events in the calendar app on my Pre.
    Once I arrived in Chicago (different timezone) and my Pre got new network timezone, all of my events scheduled for this week here in Chicago got shifted by an hour.
    All of my events in the future and past, obviously, are also now wrong, and will be, until I go back to New York.
    Anything I create for future weeks while I'm here in Chicago, will obviously be wrong once I go back to New York.
    I see no settings in gcal or the Pre that let me work around this.

Are you f'ing kidding me Palm??
    This is killing the calendar app for me. HUGE step back from my Treo755.
    Can someone please tell me I'm missing something BIG here.
    Please.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I believe that's how all Calendars work if I'm not mistaken? Blackberry would do the same thing to my knowledge. They do this for conference calls and such that are based upon the time zone you created them in. For example if you have a conference call in NY for 9am but travel to Chicago, your calendar would adjust and go off at 8am since the time zones are off by 1 hour, otherwise you would miss your conference call. Blackberry at least let you choose to switch the time zone as it was a manual adjustment.
  3.    #3  
    No. In the old Palm OS I would create entries with no timezone so that It wouldn't matter. There's not an option to do that here in WebOS.
    However, there's also not an option to create an entry for a specific time zone.

Either one would fix this, IMHO, GLARING issue.

PS: You can manually switch your timezone on the Pre, but that doesn't help out here in any way.
    PPS: You can also switch the timezone for your calendars in google calendar, but that also has had no effect, even after hitting the sync button on my Pre a million times.
    Last edited by ryran; 06/23/2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Late reply to a topic that didn't get much discussion, but here goes my input. If you create an appointment to go off at 9pm in your time zone but you move to a different timezone, lets say one that is an hour earlier. You wouldn't want it to go off at 9pm in that timezone because then it would really be 10pm in your time zone and you'd miss the time by one hour. I honestly see no situation where you would want the time the thing goes off to not be adjusted to go off at the same time as it would if you didn't change time zones.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I noticed this when I imported flights from the FlightView App. It retrieves the correct flights & times, but when they are put into the calendar, my calendar & all notifications are all on central time (where I live). This does me no good. Why can't the calendar see the times given it by the FlightView app or is this a FlightView problem?

It's not useless, but it is pretty close for me who travels all the time.

Cheers
  6.    #6  
    I hear you StoneRyno. That's not how I usually use the calendar though.
    Up until the last few days, I'm always just in one time zone or the other--so that all the events I'm creating in the present or future are relative to wherever my body is. Hence the ridiculousness once I switch timezones. Ah well. I'll just have to remember to always create the events an hour behind or forward.
    WM does the same thing. I hate it. Now when I create an appointment I add the actual time to the appointment itself so I always have it. (Delta flight xxx; 9:10-10:25)
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by ryran View Post
    I hear you StoneRyno. That's not how I usually use the calendar though.
    Up until the last few days, I'm always just in one time zone or the other--so that all the events I'm creating in the present or future are relative to wherever my body is. Hence the ridiculousness once I switch timezones. Ah well. I'll just have to remember to always create the events an hour behind or forward.
    Ah I see, by making the times relative to you rather than the time zone, you are ending up with unexpected results. I always make the times relative to time zone. I sort of am understanding your experiences. If I'm understanding correctly you are scheduling say a time for a flight for the other time zone lets say (PST) and it is scheduled at 5pm in that time zone. But you are currently in say (EST) and so enter the flight time as 5pm but because you are in (EST) it changes that time when you go into (PST) instead of retaining the 5pm. The not so obvious correction is to enter the time adjusted for the time zone relative to your time zone so that it occurs at the correct time when in the other time zone.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Just want a real solution to this instead of having to out-think my device.
    I mean, I'm up to the challenge, just would prefer to not have to
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    So, you are in NY and you have a meeting for 9am in chicago. Think to yourself "That is 10am NY time, and I am in Ny right now, so i should put it in the calendar as 10am"
    As others have said its just another way of thinking. Its really not that hard once you get used to it. I travel all the time and its easy to just figure it out in my head when I put things in my Calendar.

It was a little tricky for me going from Palm OS to Windows Mobile with no time zones in Calendar but I quickly adjusted. Now it is just 2nd nature.

I think that the reason that Palm decided not to use time zones in the WebOS calendar is because that is now the standard on every other platform and often Time Zones in the calendar create more issues than they solve. Especially with the ever changing Daylight Savings Time and certain states not even participating.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  12.    #12  
    As an update:
    Since getting my Pre.. now that it's so easy to add events to my calendar (Treo was great, but *shudder*), I have lots of events from my girlfriend's schedule (EST time) in there. I actually can see the use in this -- when I'm in St. Louis (this week), I want to know when my gf is done teaching a class so I can call her, and I like that the calendar app adjusts that for me. I've gotten used to entering events an hour behind or ahead when I'm traveling/going to travel. I think I can agree with rc46 at this point: I could see time zone cfg creating more headache than help.
    Sorry folks, but I feel like we're just making excuses here. There is simply no reason that when you put in an event and start adding details there isn't an option to change the timezone of the event. It wouldn't be confusing as long as it defaults to where you are -- it's just recognizing we live in a mobile world.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I kinda see what you are saying, you would prefer to modify the timezone when you put it in so that you don't have to do the conversion in your head.
    Yes in a way we are making excuses since it is one of those well everyone does it this way thing. I do agree that providing a time zone as part of creating events it would remove any error due to being human or otherwise when entering the events.
    Check the release notes for webOS 1.1 (or install the update on your Pre) and you'll find some enhancements.