Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone else noticed that push e-mail seems to stop working for no apparent reason. I have my gmail account and exchange account set to receive items "as they arrive" and everything was working perfectly before 1.03. Now, either my gmail or exchange e-mail will stop receiving e-mails automatcially and I will get no messages until I go into the email app and manually check. Push then works for a bit but inevitably stops working again. I don't know if this is a problem only because I have more than one account setup or not or if is a bug with the 1.03 update.

Anyone else noticed this? I've rebooted, toggled the push setting, and tried everything I can think of, but I cannot get this e-mail issue fixed (and it is a very BIG issue).
    I've always had problems with Exchange Activesync missing a few pushes here and there on most devices that I've owned over the years... the Pre is no exception. However, it does seem to be occurring somewhat more frequently now with 1.03 but I am not 100% sure of that. I know that it stopped working twice yesterday. Usually if it stops working, just wait about 15-20 min. and it will start back with the next heartbeat interval (at least for Exchange).
    I have Gmail and Exchange as well, and it happened once for me with Gmail. It didn't happen at all for me with 1.0.2 (that I'm aware of). I actually think this may happen more frequently than I know and it just picks it up again eventually.

I know in my experiments with IMAP idle using Chatter on my 755p, the connection would occasionally drop and then pick back up again. Even Outlook has trouble with Gmail IMAP idle: sometimes it says Gmail is offline and I have to manually hit send/receive to get it to go again.

So I think this is a limitation of the technology. It's not 100% going to hit your phone absolutely positively. Sometimes it might take a few minutes until the next connection. But I'd say I'm in the well over 99% range with getting a push when I get an email.

I haven't had any failures of Exchange yet (got my Pre on the 6th).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies. My issue has mainly been with Exchange. Since I applied the 1.03 update Friday, my phone would occasionally go into a fit and I would miss ALL the e-mails sent to me until I would manually check. I'd go in and have 6 or 7 e-mails, none of which ever got pushed to the phone. Things would then work for a few hours and then the push would stop again. It has continued this way up until today.

I went in and deleted my account and then set it up again, and things seem to be working okay. I'm hoping some setting just got screwed up in the update and that re-installing the account will be the fix.
    Experiencing same with gmail and corp exchange account
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    My push gmail works to a certain extent, (it pushes for new email when there is one) but I get a response from gmail saying my user name and ID are incorrect, but its not incorrect, i've been having this problem pre 1.0.3 so I dunno if its isolated to just gmail. The issue usually clears up by itself though. Usually i just swipe the incorrect username password alert away and just wait. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
  7.    #7  
    Well, I thought I had solved my problem by deleting my Exchange account and reinstalling it, but now my push e-mail is not working again (I have to manually check it sometimes). It seems that this is not a common issue, but it is starting to really annoy me. I am wondering if I should consider having my Pre replaced...
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I noticed a few emails were slow today. My comp got them first. Plan to keep monitoring. Or trying to stop being obsessive.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    my push has crapped out since 1.0.3 as well.... this is a nightmare..
    It stopped after 1.0.3 but started back working normal this morning.
    Seems like every morning I have to wake it up by going into my email accounts and letting them refresh..and then they work the rest of the day. Weird indeed.
    Same here - push gmail works fine but exchange is hit or miss.

Tried the delete and reinstall method too and like the OP, push worked for a short while before crapping out again. This not only applies to 'as it arrives' but also to the 5 and 10 min interval settings too
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I really like this phone.... but they gotta fix this stuff...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmp459 View Post
    I really like this phone.... but they gotta fix this stuff...
    I agree. This is a basic function of the device and is CRITICAL for most smartphone users. I depend on my phone to alert me to new messages, and now I have to periodically go into both my exchange and gmail accounts to check for emails. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a Pre...

This bug has definitely soured what had previously been a very fond impression of this phone. I can only hope that Palm is working on a fix.
    Nothong working here after 1.0.3 as well
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
    I am in the same boat as all of you. I have gmail and exchange set up at work. All of the sudden it stops pushing email until I manually check. I could not get my exchange account synced until 1.03 came out so I don't know if it was a problem then as well. Also, just to add, I have full bars when it is not working.

The weird thing is that sometimes it "catches" up on its own and starts pushing again without me having to manually check. I don't get it and it sounds like palm does not have the email thing all figured out. I take that back. They definitely don't have the email thing figured out. The sad part is that since I have been using this phone for 20 days now, I don't think I could bring myself to return it and I probably would HATE using my 800w again. Palm is lucky this thing is just good enough not to suck.

In terms of troubleshooting, do you all have your phone on a touchstone? In your pocket? Plugged into the wall? Screen off (but still on if on the touchstone)? Screen on? How many email accounts? Service coverage? Ringer switch on/off? Custom wallpaper? Memory available? Movies added? Music added? If ringer on, vibrate along with ring or not? Below are mine.

-Accounts - gmail and corp exchange
    -Phone on touchstone
    -Screen off but on touchstone so I still see the clock and unlock icon
    -Service - full bars
    -Ringer on and set to vibrate and ring. (I don't think it vibrates on the touchstone though)
    -Custom wallpaper added
    -1 movie added
    -about 80 ringtones added but none assigned yet
    -6.0 gb of memory still available

That is my set up so hopefully we can start eliminating things to find out if any of these are the culprit.
    No problems here with work exchange and yahoo mail. Lucky I guess.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    No problems here with work exchange and yahoo mail. Lucky I guess.
    Yeah, it works for me most of the time but then every once and awhile it stops syncing. I have no idea why.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I am in the same boat as all of you. I have gmail and exchange set up at work. All of the sudden it stops pushing email until I manually check. I could not get my exchange account synced until 1.03 came out so I don't know if it was a problem then as well. Also, just to add, I have full bars when it is not working.

The weird thing is that sometimes it "catches" up on its own and starts pushing again without me having to manually check. I don't get it and it sounds like palm does not have the email thing all figured out. I take that back. They definitely don't have the email thing figured out. The sad part is that since I have been using this phone for 20 days now, I don't think I could bring myself to return it and I probably would HATE using my 800w again. Palm is lucky this thing is just good enough not to suck.

In terms of troubleshooting, do you all have your phone on a touchstone? In your pocket? Plugged into the wall? Screen off (but still on if on the touchstone)? Screen on? How many email accounts? Service coverage? Ringer switch on/off? Custom wallpaper? Memory available? Movies added? Music added? If ringer on, vibrate along with ring or not? Below are mine.

-Accounts - gmail and corp exchange
    -Phone on touchstone
    -Screen off but on touchstone so I still see the clock and unlock icon
    -Service - full bars
    -Ringer on and set to vibrate and ring. (I don't think it vibrates on the touchstone though)
    -Custom wallpaper added
    -1 movie added
    -about 80 ringtones added but none assigned yet
    -6.0 gb of memory still available

That is my set up so hopefully we can start eliminating things to find out if any of these are the culprit.
    at work, my pre sits either on my desk or my pocket. i tried testing it with wifi on and off, but no luck. ive got full bars at work and at home.

oddly enough i get exchange email notifications overnight while the phone is on the touchstone at home.
  20.    #20  
    It seems like many people with this problem 1) have both a Gmail and Exchange account set up and 2) noticed the issue after the 1.03 update. Does anyone here have this problem with Gmail or Exchange alone? Did anyone have push issues with 1.02?

I would HAPPILY return to 1.02 and deal with the slower web speed to get reliable push e-mail back until they can fix whatever is wrong, but I guess such a downgrade is not possible.

To answer bpdamas, I have the Touchstone, but I only got it yesterday and was having this problem well before. I too have some custom ringtones/wallpapers and my reception is usually good to excellent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast