1.    #1  
    Hey folks ...

First up, I just want to clarify that I downloaded the Pre update that went out today (1.03), so the changes made to the Google Calendar sync are on my Pre.

CHALLENGE: I can easily set up my Google Calendar(s) to sync with the Pre. These are the ONLY calendars I use. My company has about fifteen calendars sync on its page, along with every employee's WORK calendar added into it. Meaning, we have the company calendar with sub-calendars and each employee has their own PERSONAL calendars, one of which is called WORK, that is shared onto the company's calendar sets. This allows everyone to see each other's work calendar, but not our private ones.

Anyhow, when I sync up Google with the Pre, they all come over, but the device quickly freezes up. I can see the calendar's and scroll around in WEEK mode and MONTH mode. But when I switch to day, the whole thing "grays out" and locks. Manually syncing unfreezes until I move to another day, which then freezes the day view again.

After spending days wonderin' these forums and the webs, and seeing many folks with similar challenges, I have tried all the solutions. Including removing things like the NATIONAL HOLIDAY public calendar. Nothing worked until this morning, it occurred to me there may be a challenge with the DISPLAY of the specifics in certain calendars.

Since the ones that were not specific to the company calendar were the employees WORK calendar's they had shared with the company, I simply went into my Pre and turned off the display of these calendars.

I'll be darned if when I simply went back to the calendar app, if it wasn't unfrozen and working just fine. After adding them back in, it turns out it was an employee who had their shared work calendar only set to VIEW. Meaning we couldn't edit it, only see it. For some reason, the Pre locked when that calendar was set to view.

So my suggestion for folks having this particular challenge even after the update is to simply go into your calendars on the Pre and start turing them off in the viewer and see which one, when turned off, locks up the calendar app. That will be your culprit.

At least it worked for me.

CharlesJR
    I was having the same problem in DAY view only--going either forward or backwards when ALL calendars (only have mine, wife's, weather) were showing. Choose ANY ONE calendar and I had no problems. After getting a new device to resolve a completely different issue, I only seemed to get it when I went backwards from whatever the current day was. Now after updating to 1.0.3, it seems to scroll forwards/backwards just fine with all calendars showing.

Am I correct that you are suggesting one can selectively NOT show ANY SPECIFIC calendar? I have been frustrated because it seems to me you can only show ALL or ONE. Am I missing something?
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
  3.    #3  
    I use Google Apps for Domains. My calendar at my email address has about fifteen calendars in it, so when I import, I enter my email, then password, and all fifteen of the calendars come in (but are listed under the calendar account attached to the email).

When on the calendar app, hit the drop down in the upper left of the screen and choose Preferences and Accounts. Now scroll down to your Google Calendar account and select it. Every calendar in that account will now show up in a list with the option to choose the color it displays in and a toggle switch that allows you to display it in All Calendars View.

I toogled them all until I found the one that was causing these display issues. The challenge was what I mentioned earlier.

CharlesJR
    Last edited by CharlesJR; 06/20/2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: clarification
    So while you can't "pick and choose" which calendar(s) to hide from directly within the main Calendar app, you can do so in effect by setting the preferences to only show/hide select calendars to be listed in the "all or one" selection menu of the main Calendar app? Interesting, but functional, workaround.

Thanks!
    ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    I have only ONE calendar, and it freezes and grays out. Suggestions?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJR View Post
    So my suggestion for folks having this particular challenge even after the update is to simply go into your calendars on the Pre and start turing them off in the viewer and see which one, when turned off, locks up the calendar app. That will be your culprit.

At least it worked for me.

CharlesJR
    Yes, this worked for me as well.

Once I turned off Google to show in the "all calendars" view, this problem went away.

I am using the Sporting news pro baseball account, and my Palm calendar profile with no issues in view all.

For me, it seems to be Google causing the problem.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Thanks coming your way CharlesJR.
  7.    #7  
    Just to clarify, all but one of my Google Calendars work just fine. The one that did not was not set up properly in Google to share right. I will dig tomorrow to see specifically what is causing the challenge.

CharlesJR
    As I alluded to above, ALL I USE IS GOOGLE CALENDAR. However, the problem seems now to be resolved. It was much better after getting a new device. However, since I've updated to 1.0.3 the problem seems to have gone away completely.
    Mark A. Einersen
    Thanks, rcyphermd. Good to know, even if it comes from a Steelers fan!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark A. Einersen
  11.    #11  
    That solution only works if you use Palm Desktop.

I have ONLY used Google.

In the end, my solution was pretty simple:

Again, I have a Master Calendar for my company. That calendar then has sub-calendars in it. So in Google Calendar, on the left of the screen, you see the MAIN, with all the subs.

In addition, each of my employees have a personal calendar in Google. Our company uses Google Apps for Domains, but do not host our email on Google. So everyone gets all the benefits of Google, but I handle the email myself.

Anyhow, under the main calendar, each employee will SHARE their "Work" calendar from their personal Google Calendar onto the company calendar. This adds another fifteen or so calendar's in a separate section of shared calendars on the left side under the MAIN listings.

When I went to sync with my Pre, I called up the MAIN calendar account. This pulled in everything, including the subs under the MAIN along with the SHARED calendars from my employees.

One of the employees had their "sharing" set incorrectly. Its difficult to explain completely, but essentially, she had shared her Work calendar with another employee's Work calendar. When the employee shared HER work calendar, it automatically brought over the first person's calendar to display properly. However, when the Pre went to sync, the sharing permissions were all jacked up.

I had to have the employee remove the sharing from the other employee's work calendar and share it directly with the company's MAIN calendar. This is what I subscribed to. Once she did that, the Pre sync'd properly with no more graying out.

Again, for me, it essentially came down to the incorrect SHARING and PERMISSIONS being set on the Google Calendar. Now it works perfectly. We have about twenty calendars all sync'd up and working properly.

Pretty awesome to see.

CharlesJR
    Everytime I create a new calendar on my pc in google calendar (a sub-cal of my main google account) and add events to it, the calendar app on my Pre almost immediately stops working, for up to 8 hours. As in, every view is greyed out and all I can do is switch between month and week view. Sucks.

Something similar also happened when I added events to my calendar via the FlightView application on the Pre. A few differences though. See here.
    Update: After waiting more than an hour for this, I have found that rebooting fixes it. Who would've thought? Well, I'm sure many of you would have... but I'm used to dealing with linux every day--the thought hadn't occurred to me as an option until today, honestly.
    Interesting, ryran. Am I correct that by "rebooting" you are referring to a hard reset/erase all option? Just confirming.

BTW, after thinking this issue was solved for me, per post above, yesterday I was swiping through my day view when suddenly one particular day with no entries locked up (i.e., grayed out). I minimized the Calendar to card and opened another app. Shortly thereafter I returned to my calendar app to find it "unlocked" (i.e., not grayed out) and working properly. Makes me wonder if certain types of entries or GCals cause it to bog down?
    Mark A. Einersen
    I don't know what you mean when you say "a hard reset/erase all option," but in any case, I believe the answer is no; I did Orange+Sym+R to do a reboot.
    when I go to Google calendar on my PC in month view I see all my events for that month. When I select month view on the Pre for the same month I get a blank in every day. When I select day view the data is there. Suggestion?
    Sorry, ryran, I was thinking about another thread when I wrote this. Makes sense that you were referring to a soft reset. If you go to "Device Info" you'll see a "Reset Options" button at the bottom. Push it and it will give you three options, the first of which is what you described (Restart); the last option is the hard reset (Erase All) that I was referring to.

HTH,
    ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I had been struggling with a problem with google calendar. For me, it became very slow, and would only display events up to 1 day prior (a dynamic yesterday). For me, I had checked an option enabling the weather within google calendar and this caused everything to go haywire. As it was useless, only showing small sunny/cloudy icons under each day, I disabled the setting on the google.calendar.com settings page, re-synced, and I'm back in business.

The one question I had was in the "month" view, when you have multiple calendars, do each show as different colors or are the days just grayed? Day and week views are fine, and if I pick a specific calendar I will get color, but showing "all" shows only gray lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by pennpre View Post
    The one question I had was in the "month" view, when you have multiple calendars, do each show as different colors or are the days just grayed? Day and week views are fine, and if I pick a specific calendar I will get color, but showing "all" shows only gray lines.
    Unfortunately, just gray lines. Hoping and praying for improvements here (like DateBk6).
    Mark A. Einersen
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I had previously been able to see all of my events perfectly, yet when I added a new calendar to google, i could not get it to display on the Pre. I tried resyncing, but after that failed, I deleted the google account and added it back. Well, once it had finished syncing up, I saw that this was a big mistake. I had the exact same problem that you all are describing. After attempting to resync, re-entering the password, readding the account, a bunch of other things, none of which worked, I got frustrated. Then I read this thread, and started turning my calendars on and off to see if it made a difference. It did. Once I turned off one of my calendars, all my events suddenly appeared on the day and week views. When I turned the calendar back on, the events disappeared. Now, this is a calendar that displayed perfectly prior to re-adding the account, yet after the sync, it no longer worked. This suggests to me that something got messed up in the Sync, and after it was synced, the problem got synced back to Google Calendar. I deleted the calendar, as it was not important, yet it suggests to me that the syncing process is still buggy, and that we all should back up our calendars beforehand. I hope this helps everyone else who still has issues.