Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have Novell Groupwise at work (ok...stop laughing, I know I would be better off with an Exchange server, but I have no choice) and I have sort been able to sync my calendar and contacts with Google, but, it only seems as if it is a one way sync. Anything I do on the pre does not make it back to Groupwise. I see that Companion Link states it can do a two way sync of calendar and contacts via Google. My question is.....is there something I am missing with Google Sync that would allow me to do the same thing without buying the software? I am not opposed to buying it, just want to make sure I am not missing some easy step to do it on my own. Thanks to those who respond.
    My little experiance with Companion Link was horrible. Try the 15 day trial.
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    bevo,

I can't tell you much about Google Sync, but I've installed the 14-day trial version of CompanionLink Pro and here's what I can do:

1. Two-way sync between Outlook and Google
    a. Contacts
    b. Calendar
    c. Tasks

2. Outlook categories can sync to separate calendars within your Google account (and you can overlay calendars for a single view of your day/week/month)

3. CompanionLink Pro can sync automatically or manually

4. CompanionLink Pro can sync a specific number of days from Outlook to Google (big plus for me because I have 13+ years of calendar data in Outlook)

5. CompanionLink Pro has the ability to purge Google and re-sync from Outlook

6. CompanionLink Pro can sync Outlook contact photos to Google

It's been working smoothly for two days now. I sync my Exchange account at work directly to the Pre, my personal Outlook data on my home PC via CompanionLink/Google to the Pre and my personal IMAP email account to the Pre.

I did play with Chapura PocketMirror, but found it to be very buggy and the Pre's WiFi to be weak (had to stay close to the access point). I also tried syncing my Plaxo account to Google (I use Plaxo to give me an integrated Exchange / personal calendar via the web), but that resulted in heavy duplication. I did not try Mark/Space.

However CompanionLink Pro offers far more features than the CompanionLink for Google that is recommended for the Pre. If the trial period continues to go smoothly, I'll probably buy CompanionLink Pro (if I can get over the fear of giving my data to Google).

have fun,
    john
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I bought and am using CompanionLink for Google ($30). I am 95% happy with it. It allows me to continue using Palm Desktop (via Agendus for Windows Palm Desktop). I've had to purge and reload my data several times since I bought the Pre, but it's been relatively stable the past few days so I think I'm done purging and will just have to live with the "bugs" going forward because I can't continue doing this (wasting too much of my time). I am now only syncing about 2 to 3 times a day (about 2 to 3 hours apart) though to avoid issues that I think too much syncing was causing.

Here are the bugs I reported to CompanionLink that I am personally experiencing (again using the CompanionLink for Google product with my Palm Desktop data on Windows):

CONTACTS (Reported to CompanionLink)
    1) IM names do not appear to be supported fully. Palm Desktop is deleting my first IM entry after doing a sync with CompanionLink (when I have 2 IM names defined). For example, I have an MSN name in IM field 1, and an AIM name in IM field 2 in PD. Google Contacts only reflected the 2nd IM field (AIM), so I looked back at Palm Desktop and noticed the 1st IM field now being blank (deleted). Now I'm noticing that updates to IM names in Google Contacts does not carry over at all into Palm Desktop, which actually just causes the deletion altogether of the IM names within Palm Desktop. However, subsequent syncs do not then delete the IM names I defined within Google Contacts (they are retained in Google Contacts). Strange that it keeps the data in one place but not the other after syncing. At least Google Contacts is retaining them! (for now at least...LOL...I keep getting different things happen)

Question to CompanionLink: What is supported with IM name fields? What is the maximum I can define in Google Contacts and not corrupt or delete data in PD? I see that Palm Desktop appears to only support 2 IM fields.

2) Website fields are not being synced between PD and Google Contacts (when defined within Palm Desktop). Will this be supported soon? (Note that when I input the website info within Google Contacts only, it stays there within Google Contacts but does not sync at all to Palm Desktop)

3) Birthday field in Google Contacts is not syncing with the birthday field in PD (when defined within Palm Desktop). Will this be supported soon? (Note that when I input the birthday info within Google Contacts only, it stays there within Google Contacts but does not sync at all to Palm Desktop)

4) Contact photos are not syncing between Palm Desktop and Google. They get deleted out of PD after doing a sync, and Google Contacts doesn't have the picture anymore. What is the best practice to have contact photos in BOTH PD and Google so that they sync? (I read in a forum that it might be best to assign pictures within Google Contacts to retain full picture resolution; however, this will not sync to Palm Desktop (but it will show up on your Pre))

5) Part of the First Name gets chopped off in Palm Desktop after a sync if you have more than one word in this field. For example, if I have a First Name defined of "Bob & Jane", after the sync occurs, it removes "Jane" (sorry Jane) and only keeps "Bob &". However, Google Contacts will continue to keep "Bob & Jane". It's just Palm Desktop that does this, but at least Google Contacts does NOT get overwritten (which is what the Pre uses to display contact information on the phone). So the lesson here (I think) is to NEVER have any contacts with more than 1 word in the First Name field. You must split Bob and Jane (again, sorry guys) into separate contacts. Note that this happened after a few syncs occurred with Google Contacts, so it's not something that will necessarily happen upon your first sync with the product.

CALENDARS (Not reported to CompanionLink)
    Calendars works VERY well. I have mine syncing the data back to 2001 and I have not had any major issues. Only a few complaints:

1) Don't use the Unfiled category at all with Calendars (i.e. do NOT define a calendar called "Unfiled" on Google Calendar). I had many issues with this. So I just got rid of it altogether and am using other defined calendars (Personal, Business, and Reminders) going forward. Note that CompanionLink just converted all my Unfiled events from the past into the default calendar I defined in the Settings (for me I assigned it 'Reminders'). So I still see my Unfiled events as "Unfiled" in Palm Desktop, but they show up under the "Reminders" calendar on Google Calendar.

2) When defining untimed (or All Day) events either in Google Calendar, on the Pre, or on Palm Desktop WITHOUT an alarm, for some reason the syncing process ALMOST always assigns an alarm to the events (with 0 or 1 minutes Reminder time defined). So at 12 midnight each night, I get pop-ups on my Pre for my untimed/all day events (that I tend to rollover a lot from day to day manually). I always have to remember to mute my phone before going to bed so that I don't hear the alarm at 12 midnight for those events. Very annoying. I really don't understand what is going on with this issue.

TASKS and MEMOS
    Not a big tasks and memos user, but the software converts all of the tasks into Google Calendar events. No real comment on this (someday I will purge all my tasks out of Palm Desktop to get them off my Google Calendar).

Memos are not supported at this time, so they will just stay on Palm Desktop for the time being.

As far as support for the product, it seems to be somewhat satisfactory. I told them of the bugs I am experiencing (both via email and on their support website), and they replied back (quite a few days later) suggesting that I talk to a technician on the phone. So I don't know when I'm going to get around doing that since they have limited hours and I don't feel comfortable talking on the phone at work on this subject. I would have appreciated if they could at least tell me which of the above issues are "known problems" so that I know I am not alone and hope for a future update of the product. As far as I can tell, I don't believe I have any type of data corruption with my Palm Desktop data.

The good thing is that they do update the product (at least 3 times since I bought the Pre on June 6th).

Ahhh...this makes me feel better getting all this off my chest.
    Last edited by timmo; 06/19/2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to add one more thing on Contacts
    For Google to Outlook syncing, try gSyncit. Way cheaper than CompanionLink, and more reliable from my experience.

However, I don't believe it works with GroupWise. I use GW at my job too! At least it's not Lotus Notes. It just kinda reminds me of a 5-year-old version of Outlook.
    I have been using Companion Link Pro for roughly 6 months to sync ACT to my Centro (64 bit systems suck, and thanks for support love Access!) with their over the air option. It worked great! I have been using the same program for the Pre since release and have had no major problems. Other than the Pre syncing back to Google delay (fixed in 1.03) and the contact info limitations in Google. Give the 15 day trial a shot, I'm sure you'll be pleased.
    My main need for syncing is for my calendar items. I wasn't worried about contacts. That said, I first tried Google's Outlook Calendar sync tool. The main problem with it was it skipped over many events. I think it has some issues with syncing repeating events that were initiated too far in the past. Also, certain meetings were not synced.

So I tried the 14-day trial of CompanionLink for Google 3.0. The first sync worked flawlessly. All of my calendar events synced and as an additional bonus, all of the tasks synced as calendar events. However, when it tried to sync again, it gave an error that it couldn't connect to Google. I called their tech support and he had me print out the log file and send it to him. The next day they updated the application and asked me to try it out. And sure enough the updated application fixed my problem.

Since then I used the application for a week and all of my events (Outlook->Google->Pre and Pre->Google->Outlook) have synced perfectly. So today I decided I'd stick with them and ordered a license. If I come across any other issues, I'll contact them and hopefully they'll fix the issue as quickly as they did with my first issue.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Timmo and all

I'm glad CompanionLink worked for so many people. As DanPLC noted, we are in rapid update mode as we work with the Palm Pre and it's capabilities.

Timmo, we fixed the IM issue just this week, most likely on your bug report. Please download (overinstall) from our website and this will be fixed. The basic issue is that any data in Palm Desktop that had multiple entries; like Work, Work, Work, Email, Email, Email, IM, IM the basic sync kept one entry and ignored others. Before the Pre we never had a device which could handle the duplicates. The Pre does, so we've modified our software to correctly feed these fields. We got Work and Email worked out by June 10 or so, but IM lagged and was only fixed yesterday.

Birthday, Tasks and Memos all lack API support in Google. Also, even if you enter them in Google (Tasks, Birthdays) they don't go to Pre. We are being attentive to changes happening now. This week, the GMail Contacts API went to v3 which allows us to move more fields, although no device supports them. Within a few days we will populate the new fields in Google, but continue to send Birthday and Custom field data in the Contact note, until such time as Pre Synergy also can sync those fields.

We have a solution to Memopad, but it's such an uberkudge that I'm reluctant to release it. You can contact our techs and ask for it. What we do is prefix memos with |M| and move them to the contact list. The pipe symbol forces the memos to sort together at the bottom of your contact list. This is the best we can think of until Google gets a dedicated NotePad API, and Palm adds Synergy support for it.

Photos should be supported on all platforms. Please report Palm Desktop version and photo type if it doesn't work. Google forces all photos to be reduced in size so if they are returned back they will likely shrink. Storing only thumnail photos is in common with nearly all devices (BlackBerry etc) at this time, most likely for reasons of space and wireless transmission time.

I hadn't heard about the alarms ringing on untimed appointment. That's very annoying. I'll be sure we get this handled by June 24, 2009 (Wednesday) which is also our deadline for releasing MemoPad support.

Send any further issues to support@companionlink.com. We are happy to be making adjustments, and to enable effective usage of what the Pre offers for Contact and Calendar features.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Nice to see a responsive developer.
    I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    Timmo and all

I'm glad CompanionLink worked for so many people. As DanPLC noted, we are in rapid update mode as we work with the Palm Pre and it's capabilities.

Timmo, we fixed the IM issue just this week, most likely on your bug report. Please download (overinstall) from our website and this will be fixed. The basic issue is that any data in Palm Desktop that had multiple entries; like Work, Work, Work, Email, Email, Email, IM, IM the basic sync kept one entry and ignored others. Before the Pre we never had a device which could handle the duplicates. The Pre does, so we've modified our software to correctly feed these fields. We got Work and Email worked out by June 10 or so, but IM lagged and was only fixed yesterday.

Birthday, Tasks and Memos all lack API support in Google. Also, even if you enter them in Google (Tasks, Birthdays) they don't go to Pre. We are being attentive to changes happening now. This week, the GMail Contacts API went to v3 which allows us to move more fields, although no device supports them. Within a few days we will populate the new fields in Google, but continue to send Birthday and Custom field data in the Contact note, until such time as Pre Synergy also can sync those fields.

We have a solution to Memopad, but it's such an uberkudge that I'm reluctant to release it. You can contact our techs and ask for it. What we do is prefix memos with |M| and move them to the contact list. The pipe symbol forces the memos to sort together at the bottom of your contact list. This is the best we can think of until Google gets a dedicated NotePad API, and Palm adds Synergy support for it.

Photos should be supported on all platforms. Please report Palm Desktop version and photo type if it doesn't work. Google forces all photos to be reduced in size so if they are returned back they will likely shrink. Storing only thumnail photos is in common with nearly all devices (BlackBerry etc) at this time, most likely for reasons of space and wireless transmission time.

I hadn't heard about the alarms ringing on untimed appointment. That's very annoying. I'll be sure we get this handled by June 24, 2009 (Wednesday) which is also our deadline for releasing MemoPad support.

Send any further issues to support@companionlink.com. We are happy to be making adjustments, and to enable effective usage of what the Pre offers for Contact and Calendar features.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    It's nice to see a responsive developer. I loaded the trial version of the CompanionLink software for Outlook-Google-PRE three days ago and am very pleased with the results. It has worked flawlessly (kind of scary, actually), but I have also experienced the annoying alarm issue on the PRE at midnight when tasks are added in Outlook and transferred to the PRE via Google. I hope it will be fixed soon, but I plan to buy the software at the end of my 14 day trial. $30 is a small price to pay the have everything sync'd automatically.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    To All: My team assured me today that the midnight alarms and other issues in this post were fixed in CLG 3.0 B3064 and higher. This build was posted on our website late in the day on June 24, 2009. This build also includes Palm MemoPad sync to Pre Contacts, for those who feel they need this capability.

Product Updates

With the update, you can just overinstall it. You do not need to uninstall. Just download the update, run the installer and you will have all the changes. Alarms will probably continue to ring until you select "reread" to repost your PC data to Google and allow that to sync to the Pre using Palm Synergy.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    Wayland,

Wondering if there are plans in the future to sync ACT with Pre via something
    other than Google?
    I've been using the 14day trial and for whatever reason I try to sync with google and it continuously asks me to input my google password, after inputting and inputting it never complete syncing!
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scharlesjr View Post
    I've been using the 14day trial and for whatever reason I try to sync with google and it continuously asks me to input my google password, after inputting and inputting it never complete syncing!
    This happens to me periodically as well (almost every day). I just keep inputting my password until it finally accepts it and then it synchs after about 1 to 2 minutes has passed of it not asking for my password again. Not sure why there is such a long delay between when I startup the sync process and when it actually syncs the data. There is a long 1 to 2 minute pause on my machine (not sure if it's just me or if this is common for the program to do this).

Going back to the password request, my guess is that since the Pre now syncs every 15 minutes to Google's servers, I am thinking that CompanionLink "interferes" with the Pre's sync when its also trying to reach Google's servers to start its own sync process (which is why it acts like you are not inputting a valid password). Once the Pre is finished with its sync, Google's servers would then allow CompanionLink to sync to it. Again...pure speculation on my part. What would be nice (if this is the case) is if it would just hold onto your password that you input and wait for a response back from Google to start the sync when it is ready to start (rather than keep asking you for your password repeatedly).

I would suggest buying the software...it works very well and the developers constantly update it to fix the bugs. It will just keep getting better and better IMO.
    I use CompanionLink with my Lotus Notes server at work and it works beautifully!!!
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by bevobadger View Post
    I have Novell Groupwise at work (ok...stop laughing, I know I would be better off with an Exchange server, but I have no choice) and I have sort been able to sync my calendar and contacts with Google, but, it only seems as if it is a one way sync. Anything I do on the pre does not make it back to Groupwise. I see that Companion Link states it can do a two way sync of calendar and contacts via Google. My question is.....is there something I am missing with Google Sync that would allow me to do the same thing without buying the software? I am not opposed to buying it, just want to make sure I am not missing some easy step to do it on my own. Thanks to those who respond.
    Good news and bad news for ya, and NONE of it really pertains.

I also use Groupwise here at work! You are not alone. Bad news, we are moving over to MS Exchange and Outlook next month.

sorry, just had to let you know there are other Novell people out here. Only good thing about our environment is that I'm Linux Certified and would be able to root my Pre. But, too timid, afraid I'm screw it up!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSteelers View Post
    I have been using Companion Link Pro for roughly 6 months to sync ACT to my Centro (64 bit systems suck, and thanks for support love Access!) with their over the air option. It worked great! I have been using the same program for the Pre since release and have had no major problems. Other than the Pre syncing back to Google delay (fixed in 1.03) and the contact info limitations in Google. Give the 15 day trial a shot, I'm sure you'll be pleased.
    Which version of ACT do you have? My wife loves her ACT 2000, and she loves her Pre. So I am considering Companion Link so she can still use her ACT.
    I'm interested in a server version of CL for Google, but I have to say my experience with CL hasn't been that great. When I've had problems I've automatically updated to the latest build/version of whatever CL product it is (usually Pro) because I know that's the first thing support is going to tell me. I've been using it with a BB and GoldMine and have a problem that CL has not been able to correct in nearly 3 years. When the sync starts it looks like it's working fine, but when it starts reading the GM address book it will hang somewhere around 1200 records. To get around this I have to delete all the DAT files and do a purge/reload. This will make it sync fine. Then, about a week later it will do the same thing.

CL has had me send logs over and over again with no fix. Matter of fact, I've never really gotten a response to anything when I send logs. I'll call and usually get told to send more logs. 3 years of this without a fix and you start wondering what's going on.
    I am VERY unhappy with companionlink. After 2 weeks, I still had 3 errors that failed to sync. I sent logs at their request. They did not return multiple calls or emails. After the trial ran out, they said I HAD TO BUY IT for them to keep working on my errors! Can you believe that! I have to buy a product that DID NOT work so they can try to fix it.....
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast