Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 91
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by PREtarted View Post
    Wow, I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. It looks like there are some peeps who seriously know what they're talking about. Companion Link just may be what's needed to make the Pre work. I certainly hope so. With more than 30,000,000 palm devices sold before the Pre came out it blows my mind that Palm didn't pay more attention to their vast customer base. I got a Pre 20 days ago. For the most part, I see potential in it, but, unless important functions are available soon I'm going to have to take it back.

    Here's my situation (and I'm sure I speak for a few hundred thousand palmOS users who are/will be in a similar situation). I have almost 17 years of data on my Treo 755p. That includes more than 15,000 calendar records (with attached notes), 3,000 contacts, hundreds of memos, and dozens of tasks. Thanks to original palm engineering, along with Datebook Plus, I have virtually instantaneous access to all facets of data on the device and I run my life with it.

    For example, even with so many records, I just now pressed a one-key shortcut to the "find" feature, typed the first 3 letters of a last name (g-o-e), pressed "ok" and in exactly 1.7 seconds I see four entries on my screen for an old acquaintance with the last name of Goetz. The top entry is 11/27/93. That was the first meeting we ever had. Attached to that entry is a little envelope icon. A press of the icon immediately displays pages and pages of notes I took at that meeting (all editable).

    The second entry is his contact information, along with an attached note containing quite a bit of personal information. Entry 3 is a separate memo record I created about Goetz. His name doesn't even appear until the last line of the 5,000-character memo, but it came up on the universal FIND. The fourth entry is a third-party app filled with highly confidential "Goetz" info I entered 16 years ago. Also in that record I see a 10-year-old message to myself regarding my most recent use of that data (but it won't be my last).

    I am unaware of any other OS in existence that would do all of this at such speed. And, since the "Pre" can't do this, how about CL transfer into webOS "Classic?" Can I 'CL' transfer ALL of my palmOS data into "Classic" and keep all of the palmOS functionality? If so, please let me know and I'll buy CL right now. I'll just use my Pre as a Treo until Palm can figure out how to make the Pre as advanced as a 4-year-old Treo.
    This is exactly why Palm has abandoned it userbase. They really let us down.
  2. PREtarted's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #62  
    Can I use CompanionLink to transfer all of my years of PalmOS PIM data into webOS "Classic?"

    Could I then upload DatbookPlus and use it in Classic just like I do now with my Treo?

    Would 'WebOS Classic' then become something of a Super Treo, able to hold much more data, but with the same lightning-search speed and functionality?

    If so, please let me know and I'll buy CL right now. I'll just turn part of my Pre into a Treo until Palm can figure out how to make the Pre as advanced as the old Treos.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by PREtarted View Post
    Can I use CompanionLink to transfer all of my years of PalmOS PIM data into webOS "Classic?"

    Could I then upload DatbookPlus and use it in Classic just like I do now with my Treo?
    You don't use CL to transfer your PIM data into the Classic PalmOS.

    If you are using a GSM Pre, running 1.1.3 like me, then you have to use the USB lead to copy your 4 PIM files into Classic.

    If you are using an American Pre, running 1.2.1, then you can use the new hotsync capability of Classic to pull the info into Classic.

    I don't know about DatbookPlus, but I'm using DateBk6 and it works 100% apart from alarm sounds.

    CL is used to transfer and sync your PIM data into the Pre WebOS environment
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  4. #64  
    quick question:

    Tried CL back in June with a few of my contacts in ACT! and it synced with Google.

    Does the new "CL USB" mean I no longer would have to use google servers to sync ACT with the Pre?
  5. PREtarted's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    You don't use CL to transfer your PIM data into the Classic PalmOS.

    If you are using a GSM Pre, running 1.1.3 like me, then you have to use the USB lead to copy your 4 PIM files into Classic.

    If you are using an American Pre, running 1.2.1, then you can use the new hotsync capability of Classic to pull the info into Classic.

    I don't know about DatbookPlus, but I'm using DateBk6 and it works 100% apart from alarm sounds.

    CL is used to transfer and sync your PIM data into the Pre WebOS environment
    Thanks, mang. Do programs like GooSync work in classic so that my emulated DateBk6 calendar will sync with Google calendar? And what do you do without DB6 alarms? Do you work around that somehow, or just not use alarm notifications with your appts?
  6. #66  
    I believe GooSync works with Classic and Google, but can't try it until Palm updates the GSM FW.
    DB6 alarms still work (buz !!) but you need to leave Classic running as a minimised card.
    I tend to use DB6 for refernce, as CL USB has transfered all my alarms into the Pre
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I believe GooSync works with Classic and Google, but can't try it until Palm updates the GSM FW.
    DB6 alarms still work (buz !!) but you need to leave Classic running as a minimised card.
    I tend to use DB6 for refernce, as CL USB has transfered all my alarms into the Pre
    I could be wrong, but I think they're going to start charging for GooSync (of course I could be confusing it with another free service I tried). So far, i've been happy wth CompanionLink and outlook.
  8. #68  
    I'm getting near to the end of my trial period, and CL USB still keeps throwing up problems to me.

    It all seems to be going OK, and then it will duplicate some past Calendar events from my Desktop. If I then delete them out of my Pre, they stay in Palm Desktop. This is getting really annoying.

    So I'm having 2 problems.
    1) Duplicate Calendar events after a sync
    2) Deleted items from the Pre not being deleted on Palm Desktop.

    One of the problems is that CL do not have any decent user guides for their apps, only FAQ's (which I assume are made up by the team, not real FAQ).

    So my question is, what is the correct procedure to sync with my desktop?

    1) Do I first need to run the Sync from within the Contact & Calendar ?
    2) I assume I need to the 'sync' within CL USB, before and after each sync?

    I like CL USB, but to be honest once I get away from 1.1.3 and can hotsync from withing Classic, I'm going to drop CL USB if these problems carry on, and Classic give me another route to update my Pre PIM's
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  9. timmo's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I'm getting near to the end of my trial period, and CL USB still keeps throwing up problems to me.

    It all seems to be going OK, and then it will duplicate some past Calendar events from my Desktop. If I then delete them out of my Pre, they stay in Palm Desktop. This is getting really annoying.

    So I'm having 2 problems.
    1) Duplicate Calendar events after a sync
    2) Deleted items from the Pre not being deleted on Palm Desktop.

    One of the problems is that CL do not have any decent user guides for their apps, only FAQ's (which I assume are made up by the team, not real FAQ).

    So my question is, what is the correct procedure to sync with my desktop?

    1) Do I first need to run the Sync from within the Contact & Calendar ?
    2) I assume I need to the 'sync' within CL USB, before and after each sync?

    I like CL USB, but to be honest once I get away from 1.1.3 and can hotsync from withing Classic, I'm going to drop CL USB if these problems carry on, and Classic give me another route to update my Pre PIM's
    Thanks for letting us know how the CL USB software is working. I was curious if it would work any better than CL for Google. I use Palm Desktop/Agendus for Windows with the CL for Google product and have always and continue to have the problems mentioned above that you are experiencing. I am so frustrated because I love using the Agendus desktop software (that talks to Palm Desktop in the background), but the duplication and deletion of events is unacceptable. In addition to the duplications of events that continues to happen, all last week I've had problems where whenever I have added events in Agendus, the CL for Google product would actually delete the events from Palm Desktop/Agendus rather than sync them to my Google calendar. I have no idea why. I even completely removed the CL data and did a whole new sync process, but it would continue to delete my newly added events in Agendus/Palm Desktop.

    So for the last few days, I am strictly adding and modifying data within Google Calendar directly in a browser and performing periodic syncs to Agendus/Palm Desktop. I don't trust PD and CL for Google anymore, so I might just stop using this software altogether and strictly use Google Calendar. I miss all the features I would get out of Agendus/Palm Desktop, but I need to have a reliable calendar...and these two products together are not providing that to me. I might finally give up on them...very frustrated.
  10. #70  
    Obviously I'm hoping Wayland will be able to shed some light on these problems, but as he's in a different Time Zone it will be a few hours before he may have the opportunity to read the above.

    In the absence of an obvious solution, I will try setting all the 'controls' to only sync from Pre to PC, and see if I can get a consistent result. It will not be ideal, but it would work for now
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  11. timmo's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #71  
    Thinking about this some more in trying to come up with a replacement for Palm Desktop for my PIM data in syncing with Google, I think I'm going to give Mozilla Thunderbird (or Sunbird) a try. Here's an article I found in case anyone is interested:

    http://www.precentral.net/how-email-...ird-and-google

    If this proves to be more reliable for my calendar data, maybe I'll stick with this plan until the Droid is available on Sprint Sorry Palm...unless you guys re-do the calendar app, I might just have to switch in the near-future if/when the Droid appears. I hate to give up on Palm, but I'm getting closer and closer to doing just that every day.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Obviously I'm hoping Wayland will be able to shed some light on these problems, but as he's in a different Time Zone it will be a few hours before he may have the opportunity to read the above.

    In the absence of an obvious solution, I will try setting all the 'controls' to only sync from Pre to PC, and see if I can get a consistent result. It will not be ideal, but it would work for now
    OK, this program is now mucking up my data.

    It may be the way I'm using it, but without good support how do I know?

    I find the official support website restrictive in the way you can ask questions, so as you will see above, I asked Wayland, CTO, for guidance.

    At the same time, 9th Nov, I sent him a PM to alert him to my question.

    I see he has been online twice since then, but there has been no response to my PM or question above.

    OK, CL have just launched a new version for another platform, so they have been busy, but they have just lost me as a customer.

    I've found an alternate solution, but need to wait until I can upgrade away from 1.1.3, so for now I'll be carrying my Treo (for PIM data) as well as my Pre.
    Last edited by ChasT; 11/16/2009 at 11:50 AM.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    ... I don't trust PD and CL for Google anymore, so I might just stop using this software altogether and strictly use Google Calendar.
    ...
    It's the trust I've lost too
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  14. Clcto's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #74  
    Chas,

    I saw two items you name in the thread.

    1) The delete record issue is a known issue with CL USB Sync v 1.1. Palm has recently pushed our update v1.2 and it should fix this issue.

    2) With duplicates on sync; what type of calendar event is duplicating, and what version of Palm Desktop are you using? I haven't seen any reports of dupes in our common issues queue. Might you be synchronizing using any other tool like Google, or did you use Data Transfer Assistant as well as CompanionLink? If you have the same data in two different Accounts it shows as duplicate on the Pre if you are viewing all Accounts in the Calendar view. With Synergy, Contacts are combined, but Calendar items will show as duplicates if you synchronize the same data from two different sources (ilke Palm Profile and CL USB Sync).

    For tech support you can email support@companionlink.com, or call +1(503)243-5200. Both options are free. I'm not sure what you find restrictive about that. Our hours are 7am-4pm Pacific time, which is 10am-7pm Eastern and 3pm-midnight UK time. If you email for help, include your phone number. We do callbacks both to the US and the UK, as phone rates from US to UK are very cheap now. Also, we do callbacks outside our posted hours on request. We have people working more extensive hours, but 7-4 are the times our queue is in full operation. If you need an extension to your 14 day evaluation a technician can take care of that also.

    Timmo - Unfortunately our Palm Desktop support is limited to Palm Desktop 2.x, 3.x, 4.x and 6.x. We do not test with Agendus at this time.

    I hope this information helps.

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Last edited by Clcto; 11/16/2009 at 01:09 AM.
  15. #75  
    Wayland,

    In no particular order,

    ~ Thanks for the details of support methods, it might be costly for me to phone from the UK, but I appreciate you working out the local times for me
    I found the web-form on the website restrictive, so I'd be happy to use the email method in future.
    ~ Duplicates. I was getting them in Calendar, in various entry types. To be honest I could not reproduce the fault, so I can't really help track it down.

    I've now moved all my data from Palm Desktop to Outlook, for various reasons. What I will say is that the CL PC module has a lot more options to fit in with Outlook, plus the Help file is more complete, so that is very helpful.

    I've purged all my Pre data and reloaded it from Outlook to the Pre. I did this using the new 1.2.0 version of the WebOS CL software. So far it has worked well. Tasks have now synced in into the Pre Calendar which is good. don't know if this is thanks to Outlook vs. Palm Desktop, or the new 1.2.0 ?

    1.2.0.
    I like the Memo/Task count on the front page.
    I like that Memo/Task now launch into their own cards.
    The Contacts/Events page layout and 'wording' is a lot clearer.

    So now I need to make sure the syncing will work both ways successfully.

    Anyone else tried the new version ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  16. #76  
    Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    >>I'm getting near to the end of my trial period, and CL USB still keeps >>throwing up problems to me.

    >>It all seems to be going OK, and then it will duplicate some past Calendar >>events from my Desktop. If I then delete them out of my Pre, they stay in >>Palm Desktop. This is getting really annoying.

    >>So I'm having 2 problems.
    >>1) Duplicate Calendar events after a sync
    >>2) Deleted items from the Pre not being deleted on Palm Desktop.

    >>One of the problems is that CL do not have any decent user guides for >>their apps, only FAQ's (which I assume are made up by the team, not real >>FAQ).

    >>So my question is, what is the correct procedure to sync with my desktop?

    >>1) Do I first need to run the Sync from within the Contact & Calendar ?
    >>2) I assume I need to the 'sync' within CL USB, before and after each >>sync?

    >>I like CL USB, but to be honest once I get away from 1.1.3 and can >>hotsync from withing Classic, I'm going to drop CL USB if these problems >>carry on, and Classic give me another route to update my Pre PIM's
    *************************



    ChasT, I'm having the exact same issues and having trouble finding answers. My trial period for CL runs out in 3 days and I'm not sure if this is the answer for my sync'ing. I've tried a competitor's product and already know I do not want to go back to that.
    I just need some good documentation or answer the same issues you mentioned with the duplicates or not sync'ing items at all.
  17. Clcto's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #77  
    vabchgirls,

    Can you give more information on the issues you are having with duplicates? Is it Contacts or Calendar?

    With Synergy Calendar, if you synchronize the same data from two different sources (Google and Palm Desktop, for instance) then every event will appear twice. This is the design of Synergy. The solution is to pull up the Account list, and simply select one Calendar or the other. With Contacts, Synergy combines records, but with Calendar it duplicates them.

    Does this help explain what you may be seeing?

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    vabchgirls,

    Can you give more information on the issues you are having with duplicates? Is it Contacts or Calendar?

    With Synergy Calendar, if you synchronize the same data from two different sources (Google and Palm Desktop, for instance) then every event will appear twice. This is the design of Synergy. The solution is to pull up the Account list, and simply select one Calendar or the other. With Contacts, Synergy combines records, but with Calendar it duplicates them.

    Does this help explain what you may be seeing?

    Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Wayland,

    Thank you for your response! From reading previous posts I was able to fix the duplicate items issue in calendar. My concern now is why I update on my Pre in Contacts and it does not sync to Outlook? It deletes the item I added into my Pre, rather than sync's back and forth. I made sure that is checked in the setup.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by vabchgirls View Post
    Wayland,

    Thank you for your response! From reading previous posts I was able to fix the duplicate items issue in calendar. My concern now is why I update on my Pre in Contacts and it does not sync to Outlook? It deletes the item I added into my Pre, rather than sync's back and forth. I made sure that is checked in the setup.
    vabchgirls,

    It sounds like you are having the same problem as I do, i.e. trying to understand what the process is that you need to do in order to do a successful sync.

    1) Do you need to firstly do a sync from within the apps, i.e. in Contacts and Calendar?
    2) Do you then need to press the sync button in the Pre CL software, before and after the CL USB Sync.
    3) Do you then finally need to do another sync from within the apps, i.e. in Contacts and Calendar?

    An answer to these questions would help to understand the CL sync 'Process'

    PS, I sent you a PM re your first post
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    2) With duplicates on sync; what type of calendar event is duplicating, and what version of Palm Desktop are you using?
    I can now duplicate this fault, so here goes.

    ~ I'm using Outlook for all my PIM data, so no Google or anyother account registered on my Pre.
    ~ Using CL USB Version 3 on the PC & 1.2.0 on my Pre.
    ~ My Pre is still using the GSM 1.1.3 software.

    # Yesterday I did a complete Purge & Reload from my PC to my Pre.

    # Today, after making changes to my Calendar and Contact within Outlook, I did a one way sync from my PC to my Pre. i.e.

    a) Transfer Method = "Add Outllook info to the handheld."
    b) Primary Database = "Outlook is the Primary, records deleted in the Pre will be ignored."

    The result was that it added all my contact to my Pre again, producing duplicates.

    So I did a Purge & Reload, and this was the result:

    - Contacts, WebOS, Added 878/878, Deleted 1688/1688
    - Events, WebOS, Added 392/392, Deleted 392/392.

    So clearly, the first sync today bumped my Contacts up from 878 to 1688, and then I had to Purge & Reload to get them back to 878.

    So on this evidence, is it me or CL that is doing something wrong?

    This is why the questions 1,2,3, from my previous post and 1,2 from my post of the 11th Nov, really need to be answered, not ignored !!

    Help me out here please.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions