Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrosensweig View Post
    I'ma bit concerned that if upgrade ...will my CONTACTs be duplicated (via google and through USB ...should I purge my Google Contacts ...
    That's a great question!

The design of Synergy is such that each contact source is segregated into an Account. Also each Calendar Source.

When you synchronize the same Contact and Calendar information, in two different ways, or using two different products, you are providing information to the phone twice.

For Contacts, Synergy combines the information into a single record. You simply see there are multiple sources to it. If you decide you don't like it, then go into Account settings on the Pre, and remove one of the accounts. This will remove the data source, and the data along with it. It will leave the data associated with all other accounts.

For Calendar, if you view All Accounts, you will see your entries "doubled" because they are coming in twice. You can view them By Account to see just one event. Or you can remove the Account setting, and all the entries associated with the account is removed from the Pre.

You do not, or should no, need to delete or overwrite anything. Just look at the account settings, and be sure you are familiar with the Account management features of the webOS platform.

We tested CompanionLink for Google, and CompanionLink for webOS USB extensively knowing many users may try both. Particularly because it's a free "crossover" for anyone who has purchased our products. All of our testing indicates it works as expected with Synergy as I have described.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    That's a great question!

The design of Synergy is such that each contact source is segregated into an Account. Also each Calendar Source.

When you synchronize the same Contact and Calendar information, in two different ways, or using two different products, you are providing information to the phone twice.

For Contacts, Synergy combines the information into a single record. You simply see there are multiple sources to it. If you decide you don't like it, then go into Account settings on the Pre, and remove one of the accounts. This will remove the data source, and the data along with it. It will leave the data associated with all other accounts.

For Calendar, if you view All Accounts, you will see your entries "doubled" because they are coming in twice. You can view them By Account to see just one event. Or you can remove the Account setting, and all the entries associated with the account is removed from the Pre.

You do not, or should no, need to delete or overwrite anything. Just look at the account settings, and be sure you are familiar with the Account management features of the webOS platform.

We tested CompanionLink for Google, and CompanionLink for webOS USB extensively knowing many users may try both. Particularly because it's a free "crossover" for anyone who has purchased our products. All of our testing indicates it works as expected with Synergy as I have described.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Approx 2 months ago I used Palm Data xfer to get my data from Palm Desktop to Google to Pre. I have not updated Google or Pre but have kept my Palm Desktop up to date (Using Classic).

If I want to use CL USB I will have duplicate Contacts and Calendars in Pre, I can eliminate the duplicates (I think) by removing the Google account from the Pre?! Will the data in the Google account on the web be deleted in case I want to re-activate the account later?

I have approx 3000 contacts and 6000 calendar items in Palm Desktop, is this a problem for CL USB?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by comptuter View Post
    If I want to use CL USB I will have duplicate Contacts and Calendars in Pre, I can eliminate the duplicates (I think) by removing the Google account from the Pre?!
    Yes. If you created two different Accounts with the same data, then when you "View All" in the webOS Calendar you will see both. Just removing one Account will eliminate one version of the data.

Will the data in the Google account on the web be deleted in case I want to re-activate the account later?
    Removing the Account only removes the data locally on the Pre. You'll see a message about this. Your Google data will not be touched. If you later re-add the Account, all the Google data will come back to the Pre.

I hope this all makes sense.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I have approx 3000 contacts and 6000 calendar items in Palm Desktop, is this a problem for CL USB?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    3000 Contacts are fine.

For Calendar, 6000 will sync fine. However, the software defaults to not sync entries older than 30 days, which I expect will cut your calendar down to about 800 entries for sync purposes. Some people report performance issues in the calendar, so restricting it to current events is a good way to enhance performance.

Neither of these numbers is out of range for what we consider a "normal sync". More is a bit slower, and less is a bit faster. That's all.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    3000 Contacts are fine.

For Calendar, 6000 will sync fine. However, the software defaults to not sync entries older than 30 days, which I expect will cut your calendar down to about 800 entries for sync purposes. Some people report performance issues in the calendar, so restricting it to current events is a good way to enhance performance.

Neither of these numbers is out of range for what we consider a "normal sync". More is a bit slower, and less is a bit faster. That's all.
    I'm a little confused, normal sync with 6000 calendar is OK? But the "CL Software" will only sync the last 30 days?

What shows up on the Pre calendar?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm a little confused, normal sync with 6000 calendar is OK? But the "CL Software" will only sync the last 30 days?

What shows up on the Pre calendar?
    The days value is a setting. In CompanionLink, it defaults to 90 days back. What shows up on the Pre is all appointments from 90 days ago, through to all future appointments. This works well for most people.

But you are free to reset the value to 6000 days back if you really want your past data to be visible. The days setting only affects sync, and you can still keep all your old data on your PC. It just isn't sent to the phone.

Assuming 3-5 events per day, 200 working days per year, I'm guessing you have 5-10 years of past calendar data. If any sync product puts this on any phone, you are asking the phone to filter through all those past appointments while you move from today to tomorrow. Some phones do ok with it. Some phones don't. Most sync products have some method to help limit unnecessary data, which tends to help performance for viewing current data on the phone.

Give our product a try. It's free. Our tech team can help you out if you have a question with settings.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Thanks for the clarification. My Palm Treo 700p has no problem with 6 years of data, helpful for "contact history" using Agendus.

Since I use Classic and Agendus and all the data I guess I can just use 90 days of data and all the contacts on the Pre.

Thanks for the responses.
    Hi Wayland,

It's great you are happy to use this forum as a support type forum as it helps others with FAQ's

I'm using a UK GSM O2 Pre running version 1.1.3

I've installed the CL app from the Free Beta apps catalogue. UK users can't access the 'Paid For' catalogue yet.

I'm running the 14 day trial of CL USB Sync on my Windows PC.

Generally it's all working fine, but I have a couple of glitches and a query about the bigger picture.

Bigger picture first:
    - I assume that CL USB Sync is a separate db on the Pre, and so is not backed up into & by Palm Profile ?

Glitches:
    - When I did my original sync from Palm Desktop it gave me an error of "Category limit reached. Only 15 Categories are allowed in Palm"
    So now I've got 9 of 9 categories of my memos on my Pre (including Unfilled), but only 11 of 13 categories of my ToDo's on my Pre (including Unfilled).
    My fix I suppose is to merge on my PC my missing ToDo's into the categories that were taken over to my Pre? But is this a bug, or am I/you counting differently to the way Palm counts ? Or I could try the 'Purge & Reload the ToDo list' option?

- All my ToDo's have not carried over their 'Due' dates, and therefore do not have any alarms set. Do you support these dates/alarms or is this related to my problems above?

General:
    - In the PC setup for CL, within the Transfer Method Tab I've set it to Sync changes both ways. I assume that's correct?

- Also, in the Palm Pre Settings Tab, I've left the 2 tick boxes un-ticked for Sync to calendar & contacts. I assume this is right. Note, the help file for this section does not seem to have been updated for the USB sync version.

However, as I said at the start, I'll really pleased with CL USB Sync, as it has got my data 99% onto my Pre with very little hassle. Just need to sort the ToDo glitches
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I am using the trial version of CL for WebOS(USB). I find that it does not syncronize my Outlook contact photos to the pre. Is this by design?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Htpc - It was a mistake! The current build of CL USB Sync from the Palm App Catalog does not sync photos. This will be fixed soon. So sorry!

ChasT - CL USB Sync uses it's own database, which is synchronized to the PC. It does not change, read or add data to the Palm Profile.

We are looking into the issues with Categories and Due dates. The Due dates we have pinned down to a PC side glitch, so look for an update on our website for that. Probably categories also. There should not be a limit to categories from the Pre side. I believe Palm OS 6 has a limit of 255 but Outlook does not have a limit at all.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Htpc - It was a mistake! The current build of CL USB Sync from the Palm App Catalog does not sync photos. This will be fixed soon. So sorry!

ChasT - CL USB Sync uses it's own database, which is synchronized to the PC. It does not change, read or add data to the Palm Profile.

We are looking into the issues with Categories and Due dates. The Due dates we have pinned down to a PC side glitch, so look for an update on our website for that. Probably categories also. There should not be a limit to categories from the Pre side. I believe Palm OS 6 has a limit of 255 but Outlook does not have a limit at all.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Let us know when there is an update. That's the only deal breaker for me at the moment.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Let us know when there is an update. That's the only deal breaker for me at the moment.
    Just as I thought I'd got the hang of CL, it kicks me up the backside.

During my last sync it decided to delete all the Contacts, 617, out of Palm Desktop?

Not a great problem, as luckily I'm still 'maintaining' by Palm DB's via my trusty Treo680.

However, try as I do, I can't get the CL software to re-install the contacts from my Pre, where they are still intact, back into Palm Desktop. I've tried just about every setting in the PC setup software, but no luck.

I'm just worried that if I put them back on the PC via my Treo680, CL may then duplicate them on my Pre?

Is there anyway to 'force' the issue from my Pre?
    Last edited by ChasT; 10/28/2009 at 11:35 AM.
    Thought of the day :
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    During my last sync it decided to delete all the Contacts, 617, out of Palm Desktop?

Is there anyway to 'force' the issue from my Pre?
    ChasT: CompanionLink keeps a backup of all the Desktop data. It's right there on the disk. Go look for a file with a *.001 extension. Look at them by date; there will be 10 backups.

You should be able to select "Reread from handheld" menu option in the Software also, and it will bring records back.

I'll check with my team on the delete issue in general, and also to insure the reread options are there. Feel free to call CompanionLink technical support.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    I've been using companionlink for months with no issues. Works great for me in both directions (Pre->Google->Outlook) and from (Outlook -> Google -> Pre)
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Exactly what has been happening to me, except I'm using Sage ACT! 2009. For other "handhelds" besides Google there is a tab to select your primary database and records cannot be deleted from the primary database, but this tab is not available for Google.

This happened to me previously syncing an iPhone with ACT! and I was able to use the primary database setting to prevent it from happening again. Now it's happened twice Syncing ACT! to Google.

ACT! has the ability to associate attachments like PDFs and word files to contacts and these items don't sync, so when I lose them they are gone unless I have the ACT! database backed up.

Why, Companionlink? Why is it possible to prevent this catastrophe with other devices but not when syncing to Google?

ChasT: CompanionLink keeps a backup of all the Desktop data. It's right there on the disk. Go look for a file with a *.001 extension. Look at them by date; there will be 10 backups.
    Where is this backup stored? Is this unique to the Palm sync or would I have this syncing to ACT? How do I restore it?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Wow, I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. It looks like there are some peeps who seriously know what they're talking about. Companion Link just may be what's needed to make the Pre work. I certainly hope so. With more than 30,000,000 palm devices sold before the Pre came out it blows my mind that Palm didn't pay more attention to their vast customer base. I got a Pre 20 days ago. For the most part, I see potential in it, but, unless important functions are available soon I'm going to have to take it back.

Here's my situation (and I'm sure I speak for a few hundred thousand palmOS users who are/will be in a similar situation). I have almost 17 years of data on my Treo 755p. That includes more than 15,000 calendar records (with attached notes), 3,000 contacts, hundreds of memos, and dozens of tasks. Thanks to original palm engineering, along with Datebook Plus, I have virtually instantaneous access to all facets of data on the device and I run my life with it.

For example, even with so many records, I just now pressed a one-key shortcut to the "find" feature, typed the first 3 letters of a last name (g-o-e), pressed "ok" and in exactly 1.7 seconds I see four entries on my screen for an old acquaintance with the last name of Goetz. The top entry is 11/27/93. That was the first meeting we ever had. Attached to that entry is a little envelope icon. A press of the icon immediately displays pages and pages of notes I took at that meeting (all editable).

The second entry is his contact information, along with an attached note containing quite a bit of personal information. Entry 3 is a separate memo record I created about Goetz. His name doesn't even appear until the last line of the 5,000-character memo, but it came up on the universal FIND. The fourth entry is a third-party app filled with highly confidential "Goetz" info I entered 16 years ago. Also in that record I see a 10-year-old message to myself regarding my most recent use of that data (but it won't be my last).

I am unaware of any other OS in existence that would do all of this at such speed. And, since the "Pre" can't do this, how about CL transfer into webOS "Classic?" Can I 'CL' transfer ALL of my palmOS data into "Classic" and keep all of the palmOS functionality? If so, please let me know and I'll buy CL right now. I'll just use my Pre as a Treo until Palm can figure out how to make the Pre as advanced as a 4-year-old Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmiem View Post
    Where is this backup stored? Is this unique to the Palm sync or would I have this syncing to ACT? How do I restore it?
    It's buried quite deep.

I found the backups in Owner/Application Data/Companionlink/etc

But it will depend on your OS etc, I'm on XP.

Try searching on*.mdb.001
    Thought of the day :

You should be able to select "Reread from handheld" menu option in the Software also, and it will bring records back.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Did you mean, "Transfer Method, Add Handheld Info to Palm Desktop by Access" ? If so, I tried that, but it did not help/work?

I did send my original question to CL Support, and they suggested restoring my DeskTop data first (did not mention the backups you mentioned?) and then use the "Purge to Handheld" option, to avoid duplicates, which worked fine.

However, it would make sense to be able to purge from the handheld to the PC. There is the option you suggest above, but it does not seem to work.

On another point, I am getting on well with CL USB, making changes on both the handheld and PC and then syncing them at the same time, but recently I deleted a contact on my PC and it did not delete off the handheld at the next sync? Is this a bug?
    Thought of the day :
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast