Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I guess I've been lucky. My mother, wife and I all three of us purchased CL, since it worked for us to sync outlook to google and back. Even allows my mother and I to sync multiple computers to our accounts.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I had a pretty good experience with CompanionLink, but I have Outlook on 3 computers. Spending $90 on software so that my 3 Calendars (plus the Pre) and 3 contact lists will all be in sync seems a bit high.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    They just posted another update to the software fixing the following:

Fixes in companionlink.exe 07/14/09 version 3.0 build 3066

* Added support for Google's updated contacts API. This fixes an issue where contact addresses would not display in Gmail after synchronizing. (Requires a reread sync to correct existing addresses)
    * Added contact picture sync for OL 2003
    * Fixed bug with PDT 6.2 that sometimes caused recurrence exceptions to transfer on wrong date
    * Fixed bug with BB not detected a record as changed if only the PIN field changed
    * Fixed bug that prevented all day recurring exceptions from transferring to Google
    * Fixed bug with Google alarms

I'm hoping this fixes my calendar issues. It's not perfect software, but it does the job about 95%. What causes me the most frustration are recurring events...still having problems with them with various scenarios, but the above release notes is giving me hope that some (if not all) of these issues have been fixed.

Contacts works pretty well. Still some odd things happen though with certain fields, but I'll see how this new update handles everything. I'm still glad I bought the software. This solution made the most sense (to me anyways) to continue using Palm Desktop 6.2, which I just can't let go of.
    @techiechick and anyone else who has CL syncing Lotus Notes to Google Calendar

Do you have meetings where the scheduler is in another timezone? Do you have those displaying as you expect on your Google Calendar? I cannot seem to get that right. And thus it's not right when it's sync'ed to the Pre. I am running CL 3.0 (build 3066). Any clues are welcome. Thanks.
    Last edited by RaleighPalm; 07/31/2009 at 07:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighPalm View Post
    Do you have meetings where the scheduler is in another timezone? Do you have those displaying as you expect on your Google Calendar? I cannot seem to get that right. And thus it's not right when it's sync'ed to the Pre. I am running CL 3.0 (build 3066). Any clues are welcome. Thanks.
    I'm working with CL support. They're very responsive and their fix is in the works.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Raleigh, This fix got done yesterday, so re-contact CompanionLink support if you don't have it yet. I apologize for not seeing your July 31 note. Word finally got through to our R&D just last week.

It was a unique issue with Lotus Notes having to do with meeting inviter being in a different time zone than the meeting invitee; the event kept the time zone for the inviter which is wrong. Look for build 3070 and higher for this. It is likely to be on internal release (support can send you a link) until later in the month.

Wayland Bruns
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    http://www.companionlink.com
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    CompanionLink for Google is working well for me, syncing Lotus Notes calendar with Google.

The company wasn't terribly helpful on configuration. There's some odd Notes-y syntax for a mail file stored on a server (CN=server/stuff/stuff!!mail\myid.nsf). The person on the phone thought you had to have a UNC path to the mail file, which we don't have here. Later, looking at some documentation I caught a screenshot with an example and was able to adapt it and get it to work. Also the program doesn't allow for notes.ini being stored in a different folder from notes.exe, which is our standard setup here - I had to copy one of them into the other's folder. And I was a bit annoyed that they made me take time out of my workday to talk to them on the phone for support rather than answering questions in email.

Anyway I worked through that, and watched it sync calendars for several days, and finally purchased it. Yes, I think it's worth buying.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I have 2 questions about the CompanionLink for Google software (I have been using it since early June) used in conjunction with Palm Desktop 6.2.2:

1) Is there any kind of email notification list that we can subscribe to in order to get notified of new updates to the software? This software does not have a "check for updates" option. I always have go to this page (when I remember) to see if any new updates have been released -->

Product Updates

2) Under the settings for this software under "Date Range", I notice that based on the number of days I put in here, it will delete ALL data from my online Google Calendar for all days PRIOR to this specified value. So for example, if I input 90 days, it will only sync/retain the last 90 days within Google Calendar, and delete anything older than that. I do not want this to happen. I ALWAYS want to retain my past calendar data within Google Calendar, regardless of this numeric value set.

Since I have been a long-time Palm user, I have calendar data going back to 2001. To speed up sync time, I reduced my previously set value of 3700 down to 90 days, and when I looked at my online Google Calendar later in the day, I noticed EVERYTHING got deleted prior to the past 90 days. Luckily it did not delete the Palm Desktop 6.2.2 data (because I answered the right questions during the sync process to NOT delete anything on Palm Desktop), so I changed the value back to 3700 and re-sync'd the data to bring it all back into Google Calendar.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this how the software is supposed to work? After I reach day 3700 in the future (in comparison to my 2001 calendar data), will this software start purging my Google Calendar data again for anything older than 3700 days? Unfortunately, I do not see any documentation or help on this subject. I want to retain all past calendar data within Google Calendar (this is my backup after all), but was hoping to have a small number of sync days (e.g. 90) to speed up the sync process using CompanionLink for Google.

Thanks for any help in clarifying how this all should work.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    1) Is there any kind of email notification list that we can subscribe to in order to get notified of new updates to the software?
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    2) Under the settings for this software under "Date Range", I notice that based on the number of days I put in here, it will delete ALL data from my online Google Calendar for all days PRIOR to this specified value.
    timmo, I submitted this question to CL tech support and July (for CompanionLink Pro). Their answer is that this is by design. I'm not happy either - my data goes back to 1996 and I often need to refer to specific calendar events back that far.

OTOH, I believe Google Calendar has a hard limit on events, so I'm not sure if I could even see fourteen years worth of calendar events on Google. Fortunately I'm synced with Plaxo too (my previous "cloud" solution) so if I have an internet connection I can at least query the Plaxo calendar.

have fun,
    john
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info, jsage...hopefully CompanionLink can respond to both questions I have, especially with regards to changing item #2 so that it doesn't delete data off of Google's servers. I can't imagine anyone would want that to happen to their calendar data...doesn't make sense to me. Otherwise, I'm going to have to think of another cloud solution to maintain my past calendar information. This is critical data for most people for many reasons.

FYI...they just posted a new update to the software again. I hate having to manually check their website...sigh...but glad they continue to make updates to it.
    Problem with Calendar Sync:
    Synergy appears to sync 2-ways between Google and my Pre for calendar events, with minimal or no mishaps.

My problem is that after a Pre event syncs to my Google calendar, CompanionLink *may* not sync the event to my PC Outlook 2007 calendar at all, or sometimes it takes several days for the event to show up on my PC Outlook. Other times, the Google to Outlook sync runs smoothly.

Obviously, I need to have the syncs between Pre -- Google -- Outlook to run smoothly and correctly 99.9999999% of the time. I missed an important appointment 3 days ago, which I had entered on my Pre and it never showed up on my PC Outlook. But, the event did show up on Google just fine. Not good.

I don't go to gmail.com frequently just to look for items which were omitted during a sync; I don't have the time or energy to try to fix my problem that way.

Would CompanionLink Pro be more reliable for me? If so, where do I get it? When I went to companionlink.com I did not see a "Pro version" for CompanionLink for Google.

Or, should I use Google's calendar app to sync with Outlook calendar (by the way, is that app for ongoing 2-way syncs, or just one way??), and configure the CompanionLink only to sync my contacts?

Help! I am just a novice at this sync'g to the clouds stuff, so I may be asking very low-level questions.

Thanks for your help...
    You may need to verify your settings and make sure that you have it set to two way sync between Google and Outlook.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Timmo, Peggy and All,

1) Timmo we don't have a formal email for updates. However, we are trying to remember to post update info using our twitter portal. Subscribing to our twitter would be the best way to be informed. Once you know an update exists, our downloads area is a short summary of changes in each release.

CompanionLink is a far ranging product, handling Lotus Notes, Microsoft Business Contact Manager, and many other varied products. A given update may or may not be relevant to Outlook/Google and Pre.

2) Timmo, CompanionLink internally sees one database as the "master" and one as the "handheld". Date range is intended to limit the data on the "handheld". Historically handhelds have been challenged as to the amount of data they can handle while remaining responsive and with fast sync times. This long history still reflects in our support of Google as a platform.

I don't know of a hard limit for Google records. However, slogging through large record sets takes a lot of time. It may be worthwhile to take a bit of time, and move historical records to a second database where they can be an occasional sync, rather than have them involved with every sync on your primary database.

3) Peggy, CompanionLink Pro (CLP) uses the exact engine that CompanionLink for Google (CLG) uses. The difference in the products is configurability and depth of detail. For some supported platforms, CLP also allows a reversal of the Master database setting (See #1). CLP is at it's best with certain platforms, particularly CRM tools like ACT! and Business Contact Manager. For Outlook 2007 to Google, CLP and CLG SHOULD be working identically so there is no particular benefit in performance from upgrading.

I'll check with my staff on whether we have any known issues with Google events not being picked up in the sync. In all cases, for simple one-time events, if it is in Google it should be in Outlook. There are known issues with recurring events and particularly exception events from Pre to Google, and we continue to work with those to try to smooth the path to Outlook. Our level of control with CLG and CLP is limited to only the Google/Outlook side, but sometimes we can compensate for issues that occur with the automatic sync to the handheld.

I'll try to post here if I find anything. Feel free to contact our technical support and ask them to escalate an issue for you. This will involve making a log, which takes a few minutes, but it also insures the issue will cross my desk.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ckrave View Post
    It's nice to see a responsive developer. I loaded the trial version of the CompanionLink software for Outlook-Google-PRE three days ago and am very pleased with the results. It has worked flawlessly (kind of scary, actually), but I have also experienced the annoying alarm issue on the PRE at midnight when tasks are added in Outlook and transferred to the PRE via Google. I hope it will be fixed soon, but I plan to buy the software at the end of my 14 day trial. $30 is a small price to pay the have everything sync'd automatically.
    Did the price go up or is there some discount available to get this for $30- it says $39.95 on the website.

After using a WinMo device for years... it's killing me to have to spend money just to sync my expensive software[MSO2007] to my expensive phone. Seems like a feature that should be built-in.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    However, we are trying to remember to post update info using our twitter portal. Subscribing to our twitter would be the best way to be informed.

* companionlink on Twitter

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    @Clcto

Now that CompanionLink is releasing USB sync software for the Pre can you clarify them a bit. the website is not clear enough. Does it sync everything over USB (so no Google involved) or does it only sync Notes and Tasks over USB to the CL proprietary apps and does it use "cloud-syncing " with Google for Calendar and Contacts?

Thx for your reply!
    The CompanionLink USB sync looks to be the perfect solution to those not running Exchange etc, so I'm interested to see if it does all that the website suggests
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Trident: We raised our price in August. This helps us cover the cost of free technical support, and free updates ongoing development for the product.

Spud101: Short answer: Google sync goes through Google. USB sync goes through USB cable. Two separate ways of doing it.

Longer answer: Google lacks task and memo APIs. So neither Pre nor CompanionLink (CL) handles them. So we kludged tasks into the Calendar, and Memos into Contacts. Stupid but it works. We'll unkludge these when Google adds the APIs.

CL USB Sync is a webOS App. We figured while we were making a webOS app, let's add a Treo-style Task and Memo application. So the USB sync does Contacts and Calendar for pre, and Tasks and Memos to our own "Palm OS style" applications with categories and everything. Who knows, maybe at some point we'll add Datebk style features to the Palm Calendar, and Categories to the Contacts! I'd like that a lot!

If you bought our Google Sync, changing to the USB Sync is free (as is switching back). If you tried the Google Sync and it expired, trying the USB Sync will give you 14 more days. If you decide to buy either product, and change your mind later, we have a no-hassle return policy for 90 days. All these products will get periodic updates as webOS, and Google change, and as we further our inhouse development.

I hope this information helps.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    www.companionlink.com/usbsync
    I'ma bit concerned that if upgrade ...will my CONTACTs be duplicated (via google and through USB ...should I purge my Google Contacts ... and then have it sync with PALM first ????

what about calendar? ... should I purge all the calendar entries in Google????

thoughts?

thanks ....
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    !clcto

Thanks for the answer!!
    So, to be 100% clear CL USB Sync also syncs calendar and contacts over USB into native WebOS Calendar and Contacts apps?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast